Author Topic: "In the end, it's all a matter of digs"  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Hmmm

• Visual depiction of writer's block.
    • View Profile
"In the end, it's all a matter of digs"
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:41:10 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of this expression before? Am I right with the word "digs" or is it a similar sounding word? Or am I crazy and only thought I've heard this expression?

If it is an expression, could anyone tell me what it means?

Thanks,

-- Praetorian
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline rewh2oman

• Life flows on within you and without you.
    • View Profile
Re: "In the end, it's all a matter of digs"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:36 AM »
What do you think it means? What point are you trying to communicate?

the word "digs" to me is slang for your "house" or "apartment" (the place where you hang your hat at night).
So "in the end" (when you die), the only thing that matters are your possessions?

Or, I could be way off base.   :)

thats my guess, Russ

The Love you take is equal to the Love you make.

Offline Fair to Middling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
Digs to me has always meant student accomodation.  Not halls of residence, but private lettings.  I can't see this being correct for that line.

If Digs is meant to be home then it may refer to family.

What's the context of the line?
The greatest gift of night is not stealth, but daring.

Offline Hmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:35:55 AM »
Thanks both for your replies.

I'm not trying to communicate anything by it, but I was thinking of using it because it sounds interesting. I took it from a film if I recall correctly set in the 1100's, and I interpreted it to mean, "In the end, it's all a matter of (preference/opinion/your perception/whatever)."

But I could have heard the word "digs" when I was actually hearing something else, a word I wasn't familiar with. I'll have to go back to the film and also ask my father who's a walking encyclopedia of history. My old man's nearly 70, and he knows the most curious and interesting things. For example, he's also an expert on Elizabethan insults. I'll have to ask him.
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline Hmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:43:12 AM »
I was totally off the mark. I thought I heard the line in Rob Roy, but it was actually "Treason is all a matter of dates" or something along those lines, perhaps, "in the end, it's all a mater of dates" (referring to treason). This line comes from the most recent film version of The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) with James Caviezel, Guy Pearce, Richard Harris and James Frain (Frain is excellent as David in Spartacus by the way, with Goran Visnjic as Spartacus). Brilliant films, watch them. :)

Sorry about all the fuss for something I should have researched beforehand instead of being lazy. Sigh... too much writing, not enough research.