Author Topic: procrastination  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Fair to Middling

Re: procrastination
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 04:39:44 PM »
We know our sort Gyppo, like attracts like.

And Thatollie, you missed the first part of my name "Workshy Layabout" is the correct form.  You might want to rethink Procrasti-Man.  Read fast it looks like Prostrati-Man.  Eep
The greatest gift of night is not stealth, but daring.

philoscribe

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »
Well it would be rude not to....anyway it's far more entertaining than writing 35 articles on the problems of wireless network connections......... :P

verybigmouth

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 07:06:20 AM »
i procrastinate a lot and i'm feeling really really guilty. but i've heard somewhere before that lazyness is a good thing. it helps the creative mind, our right brain. is this true? please tell me it's true.

Offline Hmmm

• Visual depiction of writer's block.
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 07:33:44 AM »
I am an awful procrastinator. I am in fact the master. I hold the Lucasian Chair of Procrastination at Trinity College, Cambridge.

The way I beat it off is by rolling out thoughts and new ideas. Typing or using word recognition software, at a friend's house, since I don't use it here. I type fast. It's easy for me to get worked up about something (excitement at a new idea or whatever, perhaps my bipolar disorder) and go full on and write 10,000 words a day. That's normal for me. It doesn't always go into my actual novel, in fact hardly ever, but it's a mish-mash of notes, quotes, one-liners, ideas, paragraphs, scenes and anything else I can possibly think of. Then I go back and steal the bits I like if they fit with my novel.

Sometimes I also start writing word for word from a book I like, then stop and continue in an attempt to imitate the masters and help develop my own writing style.

I prefer to call procrastination in this context writer's constipation. It's uncomfortable. Nothing comes out. It ruins your day. You need writer's fibre, so get some from wherever you can get it.

Try lots of things as well as relaxation, just plain old daydreaming or thinking to try and beat it off.
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:35:39 AM »
i procrastinate a lot and i'm feeling really really guilty. but i've heard somewhere before that lazyness is a good thing. it helps the creative mind, our right brain. is this true? please tell me it's true.

I think so, as long as your imagination kicks in gear and you think about what you are going to write, or a future book, act out your characters in your mind, or whatever.

I don't think it works against us at all. :)
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline thatollie

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:08 PM »
Where does one get "Writers Fibre"?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Fair to Middling

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 03:53:11 PM »
Out of writers of course.  Go carve a chunk off Stephen King and see how much your writing improves.

(If only it were that easy  :( )
The greatest gift of night is not stealth, but daring.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 04:26:33 PM »

Like 'Moral Fibre', from living a little and - ideally - confronting small dragons before having to tackle the bigger ones ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 03:11:34 AM »
Out of writers of course.

Exactly! I could have written more clearly there... :-[ It was a vague thing to say. I should have said what I meant immediately afterwards.

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 03:24:10 AM »

I should have made myself more clear. I have a few suggestions:

1. Visit a good library and pick up something you wouldn't normally read.
2. Read what inspires you, imitate the masters and reach for the skies.
3. Daydream and live inside your characters.
4. Don't train voice recognition software and watch the nonsense it comes out with. (Hilarious).
5. Take certain person you know well and stick them in a situation that you know they won't cope with. Perhaps inside a short story. Could be humorous or horror or whatever. Make it up as you go along. Let it flow. Don't think; just write.
6. Research your hero authors and their backgrounds. If they've written short pieces like essays read them.
7. Pick up a decent newspaper or magazine and look for what's going on now and re-write the journalist's article.
8. Go surreal, if that's your fancy. Write weird, wacko, crazy stuff.
9. Research history (the interesting stuff like the Roman and British Empires, maybe ancient Egypt and Greece, perhaps startling modern history) and see where it takes you.
10. Go to those sites like brainyquote and print out all your favourite quotes and see where that leads.

Hope that is of some use to you.

-- Praetorian

Offline sara

• Sara Thomson Writer
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 04:33:12 AM »
Wow, what a lot of replies I'm glad its not just me. That is a lot of great ideas Praetorian I will have to have a go at those. I love the 'Writers Fibre' thing thats great and so accurate.
sara

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
Wow, what a lot of replies I'm glad its not just me. That is a lot of great ideas Praetorian I will have to have a go at those. I love the 'Writers Fibre' thing thats great and so accurate.
sara

No problems Sara, I'm glad that I might have been able to help you out there. I suffer from it terribly myself and I'm forced to think about it everyday to make it take a jump off a cliff and leave me alone! :)

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »
I hold the Lucasian Chair of Procrastination at Trinity College, Cambridge.

That sounds scarily familiar...  I think we may well have met!  Was it advertised in the Reporter ... eventually?

Definitely something from Old Schools, that's for sure!

Carrie

Offline thatollie

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 05:49:57 PM »
VBM: It seems to be working for me at the moment. 2000 words in the last two days.
Never make a decision standing up.