Author Topic: It's oh so quiet...  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
It's oh so quiet...
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »
it's gone very quiet on the poetry boards lately...  I have some theories as to why this is (and no, I don't think it's because we're all a bunch of vicious thugs who brutalise new poems - we were a lot more blunt two months ago, and there was a lot more activity on the boards then.).

Do you think it's just random variations, or is there something we could do to make this board better?  What are your theories?
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
Re: It's oh so quiet...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »
It's not just the poetry boards, the whole site has 'wound down' somewhat.  As someone who is currently in the middle of the winter chills, I had assumed that you lot up there in the northern hemisphere were simply enjoying your summer too much.

Can I go back to sleep now?  Hibernation is such a wonderful way to see out the winter.  ... zzz ... zzz ... zzz ...
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
As Fordy says, it's right across the board.  I'd say it's seasonal.  Quite a few pwople will be away on holiday, and over the last few months several of the more active members have been saying they are close to the end of their novel, or about to start serious editing.  Then there's the ones whose only real connection is through a University computer so we won't hear much from them until September.

That's my theory anyway.  On the other hand there have been many new arrivals recently, even if some of them still seem a little shy ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Leigh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
A theory: that phenomenon, (is it named?) where no one wants to be the first to break the 'silence'... since their words will seem a shout against the quiet, imbued with an unintended weight, perhaps? Just an idea.

Meself, been busy lately, and traveling, etc... (still pop in when I can), not to mention my muse seems to have taken a vaca when I did!  >:(  It's been blah, blank and beige cardboard inside. Can't write to save my life. But I'm patient... it will return, I'm sure.  :)

Just me, Leigh   :-*

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
Ah Leigh, the poet muse is still there, s/he is just hiding inside your prose  ;)
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:40:27 PM »
Leigh, you're fine - your version of "can't write to save your life" is still excellent by most people's standards :)

well, I'm glad there's not anything seriously off with this board, iffen i can trust you folk ;)   
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Allie

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:28 AM »
Well, I've been having difficulties getting onto the site. Don't know why, but I know I'm not the only one. It's fine today, for some reason. Well, except for the fact that I can't post to the Longest Poem, as there's no 'reply' button my side. :)

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »
It's quiet because I am grabbing posters and draggin them off to Duck Hell to write copy for advertising companies and twee rhymes for Hallmark cards! MUAHAHAHA - go on, post - I dare you!  ;D

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »
lol  ;D

but surely they could do that here just as well?  ;)  (just kidding!!!!  sheesh, the psychic backlash from you folk is formidable! ;) )

nassj

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »
Hehe. The kids will be off on hols soon! Then there is no stopping the munki, be warned!

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:57:05 AM »
excellent!  we will achieve world domination (although my soldiers still need proper pirate clothes)

Offline SweetRosalyn

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:54:45 PM »
Hello *waves*  It is a bit quiet around here, I hope it picks up :/ Sorry, I'm part of the problem by my absence.  I've been somewhat lacking in time, sanity and inspiration of late.  I'm still short the first two, but I hit upon the third recently so I've found some of the first to come back to you :-) Hopefully this won't be a flying visit, but I make no promises, in case I have ot break them...
Please enter Poetry Challenge #142 by midnight GMT Tuesday 13th September
Theme: stark. Must be 20 lines or less and use at least two senses (taste, touch, smell, etc.) Thanks :3

Offline Bubbles

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 08:30:53 AM »
Hello, Campers!  (Say it like Ruth Madoc in ....... what was that prog called?  Anyway, say it with a real Welsh accent, folks.)

So sorry I've not been around for a while, also adding to the quietude of the board.

(Bit of a family thingie....enough said.)

But, I've got a theory..........do you reckon anything to astrology?  If you do, I must say that they've been banging on about Mercury being retrograde recently, which apparently means everything goes wrong, can't get anything done, blah blah, etc.
But the scary thing is, I think it might be true.  Talk about spanners in the works and gremlins running the show (or whatever) but the last month's been a total washout for me.

Anyone agree, or am I just going senile?

Bubbs.  hahha.haha.

nassj

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:09 AM »
Oh it's got to be something. Last week my oldest, while on his bike, bumps into my neighbor's new van and puts a dint in it.
This week my middle one bumps into my other neighbor's new car (while on a bike again) and puts a scratch down the side of that.
 :-\