Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in this?  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Jezzica85

Would anyone be interested in this?
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:21:45 AM »
Hi everybody,
I think I may have mentioned this in passing once or twice while I was coding it, but I just finished writing a document analysis utility. It can give unique words in a manuscript, frequencies of words, counts of repeated phrases, and the order in which unique words appear in the manuscript. As I've been writing it, it's been a big help to me, learning how to avoid repetition and the like. Would anyone be interested in trying my program and telling me what he or she thinks of it, if I could add something, if I missed any bugs, things like that? It's an executable file, so it runs on Windows. I can attach it to a reply if anyone is interested; it's a little under 40 kb in size.

Thanks!
Jezzica85

I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
Re: Would anyone be interested in this?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 06:32:50 AM »
I'm interested.

I use the Works word processor rather that Word, so I've only got access to some very basic tools. Anything extra I can use would be welcomed with thanks.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:00:12 AM »
Hi Jezzica,

Sounds interesting, yep, I could give it a try...

Dave.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Hmmm

• Visual depiction of writer's block.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:02:57 AM »
I wouldn't mind taking a look at the source code before I run the programme, but for certain, I'd love to give it a whirl.
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:40 AM »
Great, I'm glad people are interested.

Unfortunately, I just found out that MWC doesn't let us upload .exe files; it's probably to stop viruses. I have a slush pile email at jezzica85@hotmail.com, if you still want the program send me an email there and I'll reply back with the program. I'd appreciate it though if you would put a post up here saying that you sent the email; I usually don't check my hotmail account often and I'd like to get back to you in a reasonable time frame.

Sorry praetorian, I wasn't planning on giving out the source code. There's nothing malicious though, so if you still want to give it a whirl be my guest.

Sorry about the .exe thing!
Jezzica85
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
Sorry praetorian, I wasn't planning on giving out the source code. There's nothing malicious though, so if you still want to give it a whirl be my guest.

Hi Jezzica85,

It wasn't about malicious code, it's just my personal belief in share and share alike. I'm a card carrying sustaining member of the Free Software Foundation. My intention was to comment on the code and perhaps add new features/make it faster/debug (unless you're a better programmer than me!)

I don't try people's programmes and comment unless I have the source code. Sorry, no offense. Just my personal set of beliefs.  :)

Good luck with your software. Although I'm sure you won't need it - you sound like you know what you're doing and it's a ripper of a programme!

Praetorian
The complete works of George Orwell; books, essays, biography and more: george-orwell.org.

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media. (Search Google and find the Wikipedia entry, and grab the DVD)

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
Cool, I didn't even know that organization existed. I severely doubt I'm a better programmer than you though. I just wish you would have said that about your foundation in your first post!  :) So...why don't you send me an email at the address I put up and I can send you a compiled jar file? I think you'd be a really good commenter since you know what you're talking about.

Jezzica85
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:41:40 AM by Jezzica85 »

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
Cool, I didn't even know that organization existed. I severely doubt I'm a better programmer than you though. I just wish you would have said that about your foundation in your first post!  :) So...why don't you send me an email at the address I put up and I can send you a compiled jar file? I think you'd be a really good commenter since you know what you're talking about.

Jezzica85

That's cool with me. Compiled JAR files are fine and very reverse-engineerable. I think I just made up a new word... anyway, I'd be happy to give it a run for sure, now that I know it's not a PE file or something. (I do admit, I like to know what's under the hood, as well. But mainly it's all about the philosophy).

It's not my foundation, that's why I didn't mention it. It was started by Richard Stallman with the GNU Project. The FSF came a little later. The goal was to write a completely free operating system. Free as in freedom, not necessarily price. It really took off when the last component was so slow in coming, the kernel. Then Linux came along and the GNU Project really took off. The GNU Project made Linux usable, and Linux would probably not have existed had it not been for the GNU Project's C Compiler and other tools and utilities. He said it himself.

I am a little surprised you can programme but don't know about free software and the GNU Project. But, if you've just started out and mainly use Windows I forgive you.  :P  :D

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »
I have a slush pile email at jezzica85@hotmail.com, if you still want the program send me an email there and I'll reply back with the program. I'd appreciate it though if you would put a post up here saying that you sent the email; I usually don't check my hotmail account often and I'd like to get back to you in a reasonable time frame.

Mail sent.

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
Hey all,
Another update to anyone interested--my hotmail account won't let me send .exe files either. I'd have to send you a jar file if you're interested.

Jezzica85

PS to praetorian -- Program sent!

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
PS to praetorian -- Program sent!

Thanks! Got it.

Offline Hmmm

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
A screenshot of the programme in action working on something would be good, posted here as an attachment for people to see.

By the way, what kinds of documents can it handle? Can you throw a Word document at it for example?

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 01:26:53 PM »
I've just sent you and e-mail.

Thanks.