Author Topic: Copywriters Wanted -- Are you a good sales writer?  (Read 9182 times)

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • Karl Moore.com
Copywriters Wanted -- Are you a good sales writer?
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »
Hi Gang,

We're currently looking for a couple of GREAT copywriters to add to our team of freelancers.

If you can write FANTASTIC sales copy that not just stirs up EMOTION, but also makes people practically BEG to hand over their credit card details, then we need you on our books. Check out the sales copy behind the Nick Daws course, for example. If you look at that copy and think "Hey, I could do better than that, EASY!" then I want to hear from you.

Contact me by e-mail at karl @ myhelphub.com (removing the extra spaces either side of the @ obviously) for more information on the specifications we currently have open.

PLEASE contact me if you're a pro writer -- and I know a LOT of you reading this really are! But if you're not, or you're unsure, I'm afraid this opportunity isn't for you.

Thank you for your time,

Karl

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • Karl Moore.com
Re: Copywriters Wanted -- Are you a good sales writer?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
Guess what, guys?

No response at all to this ad. I spot a niché!

Lin

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 10:40:33 AM »
I wish I could do this!!   Im good at sales and writing adverts to catch the eye but this is probably out of my league, I dont know I need to know more but Ill go look at Nicks blurb on the back cover as you suggested.

Lin 

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
Hi Lin

I think Karl actually means the sales copy on www.writequickly.com.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Lin

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 02:35:31 AM »
MMMM if its all of that content then its definately out of my league - if its, say,  less than 500 words then Im Ok with that, so probably not for me, I really dont know.  I suppose I would be supplied with adequate information and references and that no research would be required from myself, it would all come from the company selling their product and all I would have to do is look at the product as a whole and use the resources from the company to write for them carrying out their requirements.

I think I would need to know more on how this is done and maybe that's what is stopping others from applying as its a niche market and perhaps little is known about it, but one I would be interested in.   I would like to learn more about it for future reference. Im fairly new to freelance writing and have written adverts more in a capacity within my own business.

Perhaps it is something I could do when Ive learned the ropes! and I suppose once you get into the style of this kind of writing it would become easier and could be quite lucrative I would think.  Interesting though.  Perhaps there is a book you could recommend?

Lin

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:50:01 AM by Lin »

Offline mccpcorn

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 09:17:20 AM »
Perhaps you could set up a little test?

Nothing fancy, just a thread where applicants have to write a snazzy sell line for say, a tube of superglue in 60 words or less.  You could come back later and see if any of the attempts are decent enough quality that the writers involved just need a bit of encouragement to apply?

Of course you're almost certainly very busy so I don't know how practical something like this might be, but it seems to be a confidence issue to me.  I did do a mock selling pamphlet myself for a 2 week mini-business course that the tutor liked, but I'd hardly call that a resounding portfolio of experience in this field. ;)

Lin

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:39:52 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me and then we could do a Review My Work!!!!

STICKERS SUPERGLUE
 Have you ever tried to use superglue and ended up sticking yourself together?
 Stickers Superglue is the answer to that sticky problem.   

No more sticky fingers, before it dries just wash your hands and the glue dissolves.   When dry this product is stronger than any brand of superglue and dishwasher safe too.
Broken tea pot handle?   A chip in your china?

Recommended by all ceramics restorers as the glue almost invisible to the eye when dry. You need Stickers Superglue for all those household mishaps.

Just a bit of fun

Lin

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 04:12:46 AM by Lin »

Telcontar

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:41:50 PM »
Hi Karl,

Well, this is something I've never done, but wouldn't mind giving it a try. Pop's suggestion of a 'test piece' sounds interesting...

Dave.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »
I would love to write copy - but it's the same old story all the time, isn't it? Nobody wants to give first-timers a try, so you can't get the experience anywhere to be able to apply for any of the jobs. Vicious circle.

S

(and sadly, brilliant reviews of a 'test piece' on here isn't going to be of any interest to employers either, is it? I love the idea on a purely personal basis, though - always good to try different stuff)

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 03:00:42 PM »
Symphony, - don't do yourself down. I would argue strongly from experience that so long as you can present yourself professionally and show wise examples of how you would approach a project you do have a good chance, so long as you show an understanding of the task in hand.

The same can be said for pitching a strong idea as a possible feature in a magazine - so long as the idea is good enough and you are offering information they are going to find hard to get from elsewhere you really are in with a fighting chance. I have a professional contact who was working as a drugs counsellor up until about 12 months ago and since then she has been published in a number of national newspapers and magazines (some of whom I haven't cracked!) and worked on commercial copy. 

Good luck! :)
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline writerinaus

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »
Hello Karl  :)

I have sent you an email and am looking forward tto hearing from you in the near future. Thank you for this opportunity.

"The Journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".

Susan

Offline sputnick

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 02:15:15 AM »
Hi Karl

For some unknown reason I couldn't send you an email so I'll do my tryout here infront of a live audience. I'm blushing but here goes. Nick Daws sales ad.

Learn to write a book while racing against the moon cycle of 29.5 days. Your pen will defy gravity working just 1 hour a day. Watch the space disappear from your blank pages and be replaced with your  own words. From layman to writer in 29.5 days.

Click here if you want to be right on the money and write for the rest of your life.

Nick Dawes - opening doors to your mind
Thanks, you've been a great audience.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:09:57 PM by sputnick »

Offline euphrosene

• words ideas and images to make you think
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
The ad (at writequickly.com) seems to be affiliate marketing and US-based. Even the references are American.

That particular style of writing sales copy is very popular for what are usually over-priced ebook sales. The 'PS' is also a vital part of it. It does seem to work though.

Personally, I do not like that format as I find it over-eggs the USP and have never bought anything via it.

My own sales letters have always got decent returns but they do not follow any set formats....

PS Sorry Nick  :-X
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 07:20:21 AM by euphrosene »

Offline raevan

• Cursor Servant
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 09:39:28 PM »
Hehehe...

Do you always find yourself short of a little cash? Have you bought and tried all the internet-advertised ebooks on how to make money - and still aren't rich? Are starting to think that perhaps there is no "secret answer", no possible way to get rich quickly? Well don't - because here at Sticky's Superglue factory we have just developed a technologically advanced new product with the sole aim of MAKING YOU RICHER!

Many hours of research and development have gone into the creation of this special product to make sure it is 100% effective in boosting your bank balance. Think of all the things you could do with the extra cash - go on a second honeymoon with your loved one (or a romantic singles cruise without them ;)), hire someone to fix all those little faults around the house - BUT WAIT! - with the amount of money this product will make you, you could even buy a brand new house!

This new product that will revolutionise the way people think of superglue, and money. It's called "Wallet Bond™" and it's so easy to use, a child could do it! Simply smear an ample amount of Wallet Bond™ on the closure of your wallet, purse or handbag, wait ten seconds for it to dry and VOILA! You start becoming richer immediately, with no further effort! Call today, and we'll include a second tube of Wallet Bond™ - perfect for DOUBLING YOUR MONEY - simply apply Wallet Bond™ to your partner's wallet, purse or handbag, and then just sit back and watch the money roll in!

(no offence intended to writequickly.com - I love your sales pitch I swear ;D)

Offline sputnick

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 04:51:14 AM »
I love this. Will it work on my mother-in-laws mouth. But seriously what an ad. Great imagination.