Author Topic: Man obsessed- revised and extended, some swearing  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Simon

Man obsessed- revised and extended, some swearing
« on: June 23, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »

On a stage set up to rehearse a short scene: a party scene, a table with drinks, and a couch with a mop leaning on it.

Evan is the director of the play in which the scene is contained. He is an authority in the theatre world.

Scott is an actor playing Steve in the play. Scott is criticized for his failure to understand the pretentious aspects of the production.

Jill is an actress, playing as Jane in the same play; she is able to handle the pretentious aspects, and is somewhat of a suck up to Evan. Somewhat of a brown-noser.

The play is famous, and several years old, no one in this production is affiliated with the original production. The mop is used to represent Cindy, ďto symbolize her objectificationĒ her lines are not voiced at first, but are paused for. Evan conceived this replacement. Steve is romantically obsessed with Jill, and Jill is annoyed by this but attempts to spare Steveís feelings.

Jill and Steve are discovered down stage left in character.

Scott: Hey there.

Jill: Hey.

Scott: SoÖ youíve had some time to think-

Jill: No I have not changed my mind, and will never change my mind. Sorry.

Scott: Oh, okay. Youíre sure?

Jill: Yeah.

(Scott backs up and sits stage right of the mop)

Scott: Hey there.

(Jill exits)

(Cindy pause)

Scott: (laughs, pause) Oh youíre serious. Oh um, okay. (Loudly) Sure Iíll make out with you, if you really want to.

(Scott begins making out with the mop, then starts ďpatooey-ingĒ)

Evan (from off stage): Cut. (Enters) Scott, was that Steve spitting or was that Scott coming through? I donít think Steve would be spitting in the middle of kissing this beautiful woman.

Scott: Itís gross. Could I at least clean it?

Evan: (mocking) Could I clean it? (Normal) No you can not clean it. That devoids the whole point of having the mop. The mop symbolizes Cindyís objectification, and itís filthiness. If we cleaned the mop, we might as well have an actor play Cindy.

Scott (under breath): That would make sense.

Evan (harshly): What was that?

Scott: That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Evan: Good. (to Jill) Jill get out here please.

(Jill enters)

Jill: Yes sir.

Evan: You did some real good work there, just not quite performance ready.

Jill: Oh yes sir.

Evan: Your exit there, it wasnít so justified. I mean of course itís justified from the rational perspective, but your (searching for the word)Ö emotional motivation wasnít so present on stage. Try to counteract this by acting inside yourselves. Okay letís just take it from before the kiss. (Exits) 1, 2, 3, action.

(Jill and Scott sit, and close there eyes. Pause)

Evan: More inside yourselves. (pause) There we go.

(pause. Scott farts)

Jill: God Scott, thatís disgusting.

Evan (enters): Jill, youíre supposed to keep your character on the inside, so that it can brew, and steep. You just let it escape out of your mouth.

Jill: Well he let it escape through is anus.
Evan: Jill, there are going to be distractions on stage, what if you have to perform this for a bunch of idiot teenagers. Theyíd all be eating there lunch and laughing at overplayed irony, we need to be prepared even for that kind of hell. Letís try it again, this time with accents.

Jill: Really?

Evan: It may sound slightly absurd, but creating a minority essence for you characters would really round them off.

*in accents

Scott: (loudly) Sure Iíll make out with you, if you really want to.

(Scott reluctantly makes out with the mop, then mimes being pushed away)

(Cindy pause)

Scott: Of course I respect you. (makes out)

(Jill enters pours another drink)

Scott: (pulls away) Just a second, Iím going to get drinks, Iíll be right back.

(Cindy pause)

Scott: (moves to Jill) Sorry.

Jill: What?

Scott: Oh I know youíre angry, but itís just the natural result of your rejection.

Jill: Iím not angry. Iím just a little-

Scott: (putts arm around Jill) Aroused?

Jill: Annoyed.

(Cindy pause)

Scott (to Cindy): Oh Cindy I was just joking around with my friend Jane here.

(Cindy pause)

Scott (saying his line too early to Cindy): No thereís nothing between-

Evan (from off stage): Cut (enters) Scott, could you take out your script.

(Scott takes script out of back pocket)

Evan: Now what do you have there? Is it moving through your colon right now? Hmm? Is it?

Scott: UhÖ

Evan: Then why are you turning it into shit Scott! Look here, itís written right in, Cindyís line is eight beats long. Was that eight beats Scott? No it was five.

Jill (to Evan): I counted four.

Evan: See Scott. (to Jill) Good work Jill, I just need a littleÖ (searching for words) more. Scott itís more than just the little screw-ups. You donít even let Cindyís lines land on you.

Scott: Well sheís kind of a mop.

Evan: You will have to learn to create a character out of the mop for this show to work. (to all) Iíve got a little acting note for you two. What you do right now is very unnatural, youíre projecting your voice for the audience, this changes your breathing, your posture and even some of your inflections. Weíre going to try a more natural way.

Jill: You want us to just talk?

Evan: That wouldnít make much sense Jill, the audience needs to hear you. What do you do to get someone far away to hear you?

Scott: I project.

Evan: You need to learn to ignore your acting lessons, theyíll just get in your way here. (Yelling) In the real world people yell to be heard. (normal) Itís what I like to call transrealism. You see your characters acknowledge the fact that there are people who they are unable to interact with, beyond a wall, they cannot see. And youíre characters want to be heard by these invisible people behind the invisible wall so they do whatís natural and yell. (pause) I know what youíre thinking, itís brilliant, these sort of things just come out of a creative mind.

Jill: Can we just get it over with?

Evan: Youíre right, always plugging away, thatís how drama works. Letís pick it up from ďIt doesnít look that way.Ē (exits) 1, 2, 3, action.

(Cindy Pause, Scott counts eight beats)
Scott (to Cindy): No thereís nothing between us, just being buddy, buddy (squeezes her tighter, rubs her hair)

Jill: (to Scott through her teeth) Fuck off.

Scott: Ah, (lets go, laughs).

(Cindy Pause)

Scott: (to Cindy) Yes of course dear. (goes back to beside Cindy pause) Inspiration just struck, a poem. (Loudly)

The sun will set,
As my blood will spill,
In my lonely moment of rejection.
Only clouded by her tears, and my blood,
Will she see her blame,
Her weakness, her crudeness, and her being a fucking bitch.
And she will regret what she does right now.

Jill (to Scott): Stop youíre getting pathetic, nothing will make he like you.

(Cindy Pause)

Jill (to Cindy): Iím not jealous youíre just too stupid to understand-

Evan (enters): Cut. (to Jill) Donít worry Jill, it wasnít you, you were great, I think youíre doingÖ (searching for words) a bit too much. I mean weíre not doing a parody here (laughs).

(Jill forces laughter, a yes man laugh)

Evan: Iím beginning to think that transrealism was bit of a mistake, the world isnít ready to be that real, considering the events of September 11.

Scott: Um, sorry, but how is those connected.

Evan: September 11 was pretty fucking real for the people involved.

Jill: Christ youíre insensitive, Scott.

Evan: (to Scott) Scott, about your performance it lacksÖfullness. Youíre lacking a connection with Cindy. Donít just connect with the words she says, but the way she reacts to Jane.

Scott: She just sits there.
Evan: Imagination, project what her emotions should be onto the mop. What you have to understand about your character is his essential struggle. (Sits on couch grabs mop) You see you have this delicate gentle physical lust for Cindy-

Scott: The mop?

Evan: This is way too late in rehearsals to be fucking around like that. Yes the fucking mop. (pause) Anyway, you have this (begins holding the mop sensually) delicate gentle physical lust for Cindy, but you have a harsh, and blunt emotional obsessive love for Jane here. The core internal battle is his confusion between love and lust, because love is harsh, and lust is delicate, and sophisticated.

Scott: With a mop.

Jill: Not with the mop, with Cindy. The mop is a symbol.

Scott: But people wonít get that, they wonít get anything.

Jill: People will know, people arenít stupid.

Evan: Inspiration. A voice in the distance. Detached. What a perfect way to symbolize Cindyís emotional state. Plus it will be easier to follow for those who become lost in the brilliance of my symbolism. Iíll voice Cindy. Okay. Weíll start with ďgetting patheticĒ. (exits) 1, 2, 3, magic time.

Jill (to Scott): Stop youíre getting pathetic, nothing will make he like you.

Evan (in a high voice): Itís beautiful, youíre just jealous.

Jill (to Cindy): Iím not jealous youíre just too stupid to understand, that heís trying to manipulate me, through you and through his own death.

Scott (to Jill): Okay Iíll just get the rope. (stands)

Evan: What are you doing?

Jill: (to Scott) Fuck Scott itís not going to work.

Evan: Donít do it Scott.

Jill: (to Cindy) You need to stop cleaning his emotional messes.

Evan: But he needs me.

Jill: You are a sad substitute for a human being. You drag the filth with you wherever you go. You are nothing but a stick with hair.

Scott: (laughs) That was not my fault.

Evan: Cut. (enters) Scott, that was not a place in which your character would really be laughing. (to Jill) Jill Iím looking for a more whole performance from you, you know, I need more (searching for words) totality. So anyway, we should take it just from the top. Oo, this time letís try getting Jill to play as Cindy, and put the mop in the place of Jane, you know switch it up keep it fresh.

(pause)

Jill: So (pause) this play is never really going to be put up, youíve just been wasting our time.

Evan: This is just so I can achieve perspective.

Jill: Everything is for something, but nothing real itís all just- screw it, I quit.

Evan: No donít leave, ďthe show must go onĒ.

(Jill exits)

Evan: (to Scott) Scotty baby, alright your character objectifies both Cindy and Jane, who is now this cushion here (takes cushion and places it where Jill was standing). Okay lets pick it up from where we were, umm, ďStick with hairĒ. (exits) 1, 2, 3, please work.

Evan (doing a Jill voice): Youíre nothing m

Scott: I donít care, Iíve got JillÖ Jane, Cindy (pause defiantly) Cindy.

(Evan tries to sneak onto stage and drag the cushion away)

Evan (Jill voice, while exiting): Well I hope youíre fucking happy.

Scott: Okay this isnít working.

Evan: No no no, your line is ďJust Fucking leaveĒ.

(Scott exits)

Evan: Scotty? Scotty come on back the show must- well fuck you, the show goes on without you, youíre easily replaced. (Places stool on couch) Alright places everyone. I wanna see whole performances out of all of you. Lets try it from the top. Steve, Jane why donít you try to switch roles and see how that works, (in Jill Voice) Iíd like to do some roll playing with you. (normal) ah save it for the cast party, right after this run through. From the top. (exits) 1 2 3, youíre beautiful all of you, Go. (Scott voice) Hey there. (Jill voice) Hey. (Scottís voice) Scott: SoÖ youíve had some time to think- lights start to fade (to lighting guy in normal voice): Hey not time for fade yet. Fade to black

Offline Simon

Re: Man obsessed- revised and extended, some swearing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
I've made some changes to the script since this version but cannot find the new versions.