Author Topic: Your Writing Schedule?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Writer Boy

Your Writing Schedule?
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:31:10 PM »
Hello MWC, I have a question. What are you writing schedules? I come home from school and go to the gym from 3:30-4:30, come home and write from 4:30-6:00 then read from 6:00-9:00 then do whatever. But on weekends it an exception. What are your writing schedules?
Writing is important to me, It's something I most certainly NEED to do.

Offline DivineFemme

Re: Your Writing Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:39 AM »
I'm a SAHM of a 4-year-old, so I have to write when my son is sleeping. I've tried writing while he's playing or watching a video, but I just can't do it. I have to write in relative quiet. I initially tried waking up earlier than him and writing until he got up, but that didn't work for me. I end up looking over my daily "to-do" list, making plans for the day, etc.

So now I've started to write at night, after I get my son to bed. I start around 9pm, and go until about midnight.

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
As of right now I have no schedule at all, but that is subject to change. When I get into school later this year I might have one. When I visit my dad, I'll probably alternate between writing and drawing - or reading - while he's at work, and that's as much of a schedule as I'll have for a while.

My last 'schedule' was to write at night in bed, but then both my laptop and my mom's laptop died, in that order, so I can't do that anymore.

Offline Amigo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:08:40 AM »
I tried to write in the morning before going to work. But this didn’t work ‘coz I’m  “owl” and fell sleepy every morning. So now I usually write after college classes between 5 and 9 p.m. Sometimes I’m so inspired that can keep writing long after midnight if my spouse doesn’t scream too laud  :)   
This forum for writers has a lot of interesting stuff.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 06:45:14 AM »
You have a schedule?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Summerwriter

• Just one silly writer
    • Winterwriter writes
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 08:26:34 AM »
Hi!
I must confess I have no schedule. The only schedule I have is my Inner Writer's. I write when she wants me to. Sounds crazy, but it's true. And if she does not demand me to write, I write if I feel the urge to write.
Best: Summerwriter

My writing blog: http://lucindalynx.blogspot.com

Offline charlie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »
I have tryed working with a schedule but it never worked I write when the ideas come when they don't I edit.

Charlie. x

Offline Fiona

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »
What's a schedule? :P  ??? ???

Nope, don't have one. I write when my brain feels like it. Today, brain says no.
Ribbit.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 04:24:07 PM »
I'm another one with no real schedule (as anyone who has found a PM in their inbox timed at 3am would confirm).  I have a tendency to write in the evenings and on into the small hours but no fixed times.  I suspect this is a spin-off from many years of nightwork.  On the other hand I am sometimes at the keyboard at 5am, bright eyed and bushy tailed.  If an idea really has a grip on me I just don't get tired.

Since my health problems started the previous sentence is no longer exactly true.  There are times when I really do have to lay down and sleep for a while.  The trick is to set the alarm.  An hour is plenty, but without the alarm I'll sleep for two or three and then be really annoyed at the time I've 'wasted'.

What I do however is to try and schedule some other parts of my life to leave decent sized blocks of writing time.  But if there are no other pressing engagements I can happly spend a whole day at the keyboard/researching/on MWC.

There have been times when I needed to be organised - finishing a competition novel with only a week to go - and I can be terribly efficient and absolutely ruthless about cutting out non-essentials at such times.  But this efficiency rarely lasts beyond a week at any one time.  For the sake of my own sanity - and that of friends/family - this manic efficiency has to be put aside in exchange for the semi-shambolic lifestyle which passes for normal in Gyppo's World.

Even when I had two regular columns I tended to write several in a concentrated day or two, getting ahead of the game, and then doing the next 'batch' a month or so before they were due.

Not a lifestyle I'd truly reccommend to anyone, but I realise it can be qute 'normal' amongst writers ;-)  I suspect that even the most businesslike of us tends to be a law unto ourselves.

But when life gets too hectic - or too bloody hot! - the cooler watches of the night when a man can sit alone with his Muse until the Dawn Chorus intrudes always tempt me with their siren song.  "Carpe Noctem!" Seize the Night!

Gyppo 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
I write whenever I can find the time - which at the moment is in short supply, since I am busy working an exam invigilator for the summer exam season. My writing at the moment then is confined to evenings and weekends. Once the season is over, I will write whenever the inspiration hits !

June   
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 07:57:22 AM »
Schedule? what? you can have those in writing?
Seriously, if i had a schedule, it would be broken so many times...at this moment, i'm in men's chorus, a play at school...a club or two, plus friends/chores/family times...
I pretty much write on the road. I'll sit in the backseat of our car/truck thing and write, so my handwriting looks terrible by the time i'm done. Or church...i seem to get a crapload of good writing done when the pastor is speaking. Usually it's about the same subject-ish. Like he was talking about hell once, so i decided to continue with my "My versions of Hell" series of poems...can be found here if you dig deep enough. But...yeah. I rarely tell myself "I'm gonna write at THIS time, and stop at THIS time...etc" so no...i have no schedule...spontanious.

~Matsamu
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline J. Oakley

• "Never give up." - Johnny Cash
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »
Schedule? Writer Boy, to tell you the truth you really shouldn't need to aquire a schedule. It's just like forcing yourself to write. I write whenever I feel the need to; which is basically everyday for some half hour to maybe even more. Or maybe nothing at all! So to answer your question, no I don't have a writing schedule.

J. Oakley
"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you."
Tom Bradley

Offline thatollie

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 08:09:31 AM »
Writer Boy, you asking this would be equal to me asking if you have a reading schedule. If you force yourself to do something, you won't enjoy it as much. Scraping in a few hours when you're feeling inspired[something that doesn't get felt enough], is more rewarding than thrashing through those times we hate to talk about.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DivineFemme

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
I'm surprised that some of you oppose a writing schedule. I think, for some of us, it's absolutely essential. Because I am a SAHM of a small child, I know that I would not find the time to write if I didn't set up specific times of the day in which I just sit down and do it. Of course if I have the urge- and the time- to write outside of my schedule, I do it. I'm always thinking about what I'm working on. But if I didn't have that little commitment to myself that I will either wake up early or stay up late to get some writing done, I would just watch day after day roll by without me having written.

Right now my husband is deployed (Navy), but when he gets home, I hope to have more writing time. I'm limited to early mornings or in the evenings, when my son is sleeping. I look forward to being able to be more casual about it, but right now the schedule works for me.

Offline JerWil

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:36 AM »
I like to write in the first half of the day, in the evening I relax.
Every writer has favorite forum