Author Topic: Cinnamon Press  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Justin

• www.justinmaelzer.com
Cinnamon Press
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
I found this website http://www.cinnamonpress.com/ which has a number of writing competitions; everything from poems up to novels.  The closing date for many of them is the end of the month so it may be worth a punt.  Some of their stuff is available on Amazon.

Does anybody have any experience with this company?  Although the entry fees are fairly reasonable (£16 for novellas for example) I am still weary of anyone who asks for money in return for entering a competition - after all, all you need is a website and the promise of publishing and you could rake in a decent enough amount of cash.  Anyone willing to testify?
"Stories are never finished, only abandoned."  www.justinmaelzer.com

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: Cinnamon Press
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »
From what I've heard (not that I have any direct experience myself), it's the contests that don't charge an entry fee that you should be wary of.  They often have some fraudulent means of recouping some cash from the entrants (a common ploy being to advise an entrant that their poem or short story is absolutely stunning, and for a small fee of ___, it can be included in the winners anthology)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline josiehenley

• Josie Henley-Einion
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
I can confirm that Cinnamon Press is a reputable company. I had some poetry published a while back in Coffee House Poetry, a magazine that was run by Cinnamon (but sadly is no longer). They never charged me nor tried to scam me in any way. I subscribed to the magazine and it was a reasonable quality – as literary magazines go. I’ve not sent any of my novels to them, but I do know someone who had a novel published by them and she was recently featured in Mslexia magazine’s ‘How I did It’ section. I’m on their newsletter list so I get news of their latest book launches and various events which are free entry so they are definitely bone fide.
"I have nothing to declare except my genius" Oscar Wilde http://www.josiehenley.net/index.html

Offline Justin

• www.justinmaelzer.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:27:16 PM »
Cool!  I'll give them a whirl.  I've got a couple of novellas I really like and there are very few comps for the format.
"Stories are never finished, only abandoned."  www.justinmaelzer.com