Author Topic: Prologue vs Preface... Difference?  (Read 40596 times)

Offline Sin

• View Profile
    • Complex Femme
Prologue vs Preface... Difference?
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »
Hey Guys, it's me again. It's alright you can run for the hills. I'll just wait til you get back.  ;D

I've been sitting here having a discussion with a friend of mine about the differences between a prologue and a preface. I always thought one of them (can't remember which) serves as a tool which allows the author to mention a significant event which happens prior to the events of the story, but have bearing on the story itself. The other, meanwhile, just serves as a foreshadowing of something which will happen later in the book and is only slightly modified from the actual text in later chapters.

Which is which? My friend says prologue serves as the same thing, but I thought they were different and named accordingly.

Help?!

How do crazy people get through the woods? They take the psychopath!!!
Book Addicts Anonymous

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue vs Preface... Difference?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »
The prologue is a part of the story which describes the events that occurred before the real start of story. Before writting a prologue ask yourself whether you are starting the story in the right place and whether or not you could use flashback.

The preface is the bit where the author talks directly to the reader about things the reader needs to know before starting to read the book. This is more usual in a non-fiction book, although you occassionally see them in prestigious works of fiction when they are reprinted after several years, and the author wants to discuss what's happened since the first edition came out.

Offline Sin

• View Profile
    • Complex Femme
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I'm certain it couldn't be used as a flashback because the main character of the story doesn't know it's happened and the other character involved is dead when the story actually begins.

Thanks again!
Book Addicts Anonymous

Offline Justin

• View Profile
    • www.justinmaelzer.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:29:33 AM »
Yeah, but what's a foreword?
"Stories are never finished, only abandoned."  www.justinmaelzer.com

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:28:19 AM »
Google produced this:

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question58227.html

Offline Sin

• View Profile
    • Complex Femme
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:37:54 AM »
Interesting reply to the answerer. Makes me wonder why the question was asked in the first place.  :-\
Book Addicts Anonymous