Author Topic: Write Any Book in under 28 Days -- Nick Daws - Comments Welcome  (Read 70020 times)

Lin

Re: Write Any Book in under 28 Days -- Nick Daws - Comments Welcome
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »
Copied from the forum a message from Al Hughes - not written by me Lin

Hi SRNDPTY66

I've been aware of this site for awhile but haven't spent much time here yet. I do want to mention that I purchased Nick Dawes writing course and it tells you how to go about writing a screenplay pretty much step-by-step. If you want valuable info at a tenth of the price other so-called 'writing experts' are selling, go to Nick's website first. I spent $300 for a program that is nearly word for word as far as instruction and Nick's program was just as good if not a bit better.

Here's the URL for NIck's 'Write Anything in 28 Days or Less' course,  if you are at all interested.  http://www.writequickly.com/author/menu.aspx

Once again, nice to meet you, electronically speaking.

Al Hughes
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:32:03 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline DTInvest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »
I am anxious to find out...

I ordered the CD 8 days ago and received it today.
Installed the CD and program - registered with my email and then received an error.
Contacted support and they said they would contact me in 2 days.

So far (without reading the course) I am not very impressed.  :-\
I really hope that changes because I truly want to utilize his ideas to get me started in writing.

Sorry for the negative review (so far), but just a little frustrated.  ???
I will try to remember to update this post when I actually get to try the course.
Your friend,
Daniel
The:
NEWBIE  ;)
author
published author
best selling author
eccentric best selling author

Offline SB

• View Profile
    • Gay Fiction Forums
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 06:51:52 PM »
I hope that mine arrives soon and works.

I have read many good reviews, have loads of ideas, just need to get them down.  Hopefully this will help me.
Published Poet
Wannabe Author
Government Accountant (not for long)

The first draft of everything is sh*t - Hemingway

Offline Jackster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 06:56:43 PM »
By far the best writing-related investment I've every made and I daresay ever will make!  Nick's approach put me 7-8 months ahead of where I'd be had I not invested the money and time.  It's critical at this point because I'm starting back to work 32 hours per week after being temporarily retired due to downsizing since 2/1/2005.  If I didn't have Nick's course, I'd still be designing my book instead of closing in on finishing the first draft.

Jack.

Nelodra

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »
I bought the Quick Cash Writing and was inspired by it. Though I already had a career behind me in senior positions in the media and am, touch wood, very busy, I was really impressed by the scope of information included, specifically on overseas markets etc. I'd happily recommend it to anyone. There is so much rubbish written that is supposed to inform and educate would-be writers that it was great to actually see some sound advice from someone who had made a genuine success of a writing career. :) 

I bought the Quick Cash Writing course, too, and am not certain that I like it very much.
The ideas are sound, except that I could skip the readers letter section for a start, because I can't think of any magazin in my country that actually pays for readers letters. And spending lots of postage on stamps to overseas magazines (which I would have to BUY first) doesn't seem very sensible to me either.
The sections on fillers and and greeting cards are probably better in my country, but still... after working my way through the module of fillers, I suffered from writer's block like I've never done before.  :'( It's probably just not my niche.
Once I decided to put the course aside and concentrate on writing prose again, my writer's block was gone.
It's still a pity though.

Offline Angel666

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 10:23:15 PM »
I have the printed and audio version of the "Write Any Book in under 28 Days."  It was very useful information.  I read the printed version while listening to the CD because I found that if I didn't read the words while listening, my mind would wander and I wouldn't really listen.  Also, I found it odd that the printed version contained more information than the CD version so I would definately recommend the printed version.  My package also came with the Writer's Block CD which is basically a bunch of noise.  I guess it's supposed to relax you or something but I found it was just annoying and made it even harder to concentrate.

Offline akpolarmom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 02:24:27 AM »
Ok Lin.....
It is now all your fault......Thanks for beating the bush and flushing me out...
I was just at a Financial Planning meeting with hubby last Friday and was asked about my specific goals. I mentioned that I wanted to be published within two years (a collection of short stories). But- I think I'll move that goal backwards soon. I have lots of ideas that could need a bit of creative direction.
SOOOOOO.....I just ordered the CD and look forward to receiving it.
I expect to be famous soon.  LOL ::).

Akpolarmom
Still in Search of More Tools of the Craft....

Offline Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 06:00:40 AM »
I see a couple of people have mentioned that the course is targeted more at the writer of non-fiction than fiction, though I also note there is a section on writing a screenplay. I'd be interested in hearing Nick's view on this observation. I, too, am a novelist-in-progress and am wondering if there would be enough in the course that I could use.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 03:42:38 AM »
I see a couple of people have mentioned that the course is targeted more at the writer of non-fiction than fiction, though I also note there is a section on writing a screenplay. I'd be interested in hearing Nick's view on this observation. I, too, am a novelist-in-progress and am wondering if there would be enough in the course that I could use.

The course does have an entire section devoted to fiction writing. It's true that the description of my five-step method uses a non-fiction book as an example, but the method can easily be adapted to fiction as well, and the course includes information about this. Many buyers have used my five-step method to help write novels. Just take a look through the many testimonials (all unsolicited) on the following page of my publisher's sales site: http://tinyurl.com/bvtjk

I would like to emphasize that the course includes a lot more than just the five-step method, though. It covers everything from coming up with ideas and titles, through writing and editing your book, to publishing and self-publishing it. The course is crammed with hints and tips from my experience as the author of over 40 full-length books. Many of these tips, as far as I am aware, have never been seen in print before.

Hope that's some help anyway!

Nick  :)

http://www.nickdaws.co.uk/writeany.htm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:07:23 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Smart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »
Thanks Nick. I appreciate the response and will have a proper read of the testimonials later.

Offline bry

• View Profile
    • The writing life of a manic depressive
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 04:37:23 PM »
I have Nick's ,"write any book in 28 days," and also the "quick Cash" course. I have found them both invaluable. As a first time writer I really had no idea how to construct a book but with Nick's help I have finished the first draft of a complete book. I also used his tips on writing letters and fillers, etc and have had some success in this area too. One with the Reader's Digest, which is difficult to get into but very financially rewarding.

I can honestly say I would never have progressed so quickly without the help of these courses.

Keep it up Nick.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:39:19 PM by bry »
Blog: The writing life of a manic depressive

http://bry-thewriterslife.blogspot.com

Offline SheWritesRight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
I bought Nick's Write Any Book course about 2 years ago and absolutely loved it.  My first manuscript is now with my agent who, when she first read it emailed back and said "This is an amazing manuscript. The characters are fabulous, as is the plot. I am impressed with your imagination and storytelling ability. The readers will love this material."
(I just hope a publisher feels the same)

I read the comments that said the couse was more suited to non-fiction but my book is fiction - and HORROR fiction at that.

I'm now working on another manuscript using the course again, only this is a non-fiction book this time.

I also own the Quick Cash Writing Course and have used that several times to get me off my butt (although not literally because I have to get ON my butt to write, but you know what I mean) and gets me focused and writing staight away and I've earned hundreds of from using that course.

So as you can see, all my comments on these courses are completely positive.  ;D

I hope this posting is of use for anyone thinking about buying Nick's courses.

Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline noelgama

• Between the Sword and the Pen... are the words!
    • View Profile
    • HR Writing For The 21st Century
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 10:22:32 PM »
I couldn't agree more, Ruth. Both the products are excellent. Include this forum and you have a 3-pronged winner!
BTW, are there any courses on Horror writing?

Noel
Author, "Culture Wise INDIA" (Survival Books, UK) & "Writer of the Year 2007" of Writers Bureau, UK

Offline SheWritesRight

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 02:30:19 AM »
Re: BTW Horror writing.

There are lots of books on Amazon about how to write horror novels.  I just use my own warped imagination.

Are you writing a horror novel?  Have you used Nick's course to write it?  Has anyone else used the course to write a fiction book?
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline noelgama

• Between the Sword and the Pen... are the words!
    • View Profile
    • HR Writing For The 21st Century
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 03:48:24 AM »
No, Ruth. I am not writing a horror novel but believe it or not, a male at 49, I have just begun AWAI's Romance Writing course! If AWAI had a horror writing course, I would have opted for that over Romance. I just love horror - movies and books and I hero-worship Stephen King:)

I live in rural India (an ex-Portuguese colony) where horror and real life are almost the same. Witch craft is still practiced a lot for revenge, for wealth, for detection work, for keeping a boyfriend from wandering off, you name it! And all religions (including the Roman Catholics) have their brand of witch craft. Catholic girls who cross the marrying age of 26, are known to hang the statutues of St. Anthony down deep wells till they get men to marry them!!

My father, an 86-year old dental surgeon (still practicing) and a small-game hunter, came across a so-called witch in a forest at midnight. To him, her glowing eyes were just 'glaucoma' but not to me...

No, I don't think I can use Nick's method for fiction - not because of the method but because fiction seems too daunting a task for me. I write only non fiction (and I fictionalize it a lot:) and always use Nick's method because its the best I have read so far and I have read a lot! What I like best about his method is that you don't have to start researching like mad. And I don't particularly enjoy researching:( I'd rather pay someone to research my topic and then write it in my style. Another thing that appeals to me (or would appeal to any manager) is that he stresses on organizing the project - then you know where you are heading and once you know that, you'll not only get there, but you'll save time.

I have a copy of NewNovelist for fiction but I use it for learning about fiction-writing. When the time comes to write - you guessed it - my great romance novel, I'll probably buy a copy of WritePro. Wish I could create a niche at a spot where historical romance set in the Indo Portuguese era 400 years back, intersects with horror!

Noel

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:04:55 AM by noelgama »
Author, "Culture Wise INDIA" (Survival Books, UK) & "Writer of the Year 2007" of Writers Bureau, UK