Author Topic: What makes you reply to a post? (will you reply? :) )  (Read 4397 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
What makes you reply to a post? (will you reply? :) )
« on: May 05, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
I can't help but notice that a lot of the posts attract a lot of views, yet they rarely achieve a lot of replies in comparison. I know this is true of every forum, but I can't help but wonder what makes people reply, and further to the point, what makes you read it in the first place?

Does the title intrigue you? Or do you just click on random posts and have a gander?
What it is that grabs you enough to actually reply
In the reviewing sections, perhaps you have a tendency to reply to those that really appeal, or you're an editing kind and like to nibble at the ones you can offer your help and advice with?

Plus, there's something about this coffee shop.. I find it isn't varied enough.  It remains a very 'writing focused' arena.  Is it intended to be that way? It's just that when I'm in a real life coffee shop, I'm sorry - but I don't talk about writing. Well, anyway, those are my thoughts..

So have I intrigued you enough to reply? Let's see....:) 

Offline thatollie

Re: What makes you reply to a post? (will you reply? :) )
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »
I think some topics grab you and force you in. Some you'll want to look at but don't want to post in, maybe you have an interest but no formalised opinion, or the topic was different to what you thought it'd be, or you don't think you have much to add to what's already been said. Some you'll miss for a long time and when you do give it a read it's better than you thought it'd be. Why people do things is complicated.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »
you're right thatollie.... why people do things really is complicated.. the mind itself is a tricky thing.. i wonder how many thoughts go through your head just reading this one message..just writing this, i can say just a few of my thoughts that i've had now, writing these two lines:
i have the porridge ready for my baby and it's in the fridge, i'm happy about that.. and i'm hoping he won't wake now until morning..and i've just for some random reason thought of computer sounding voices...and i've also been thinking, why am i writing all this down, now i'm worried absolutely nobody will bother replying at all, because they've already gone!  oh damn, now i'm getting paranoid... oh poo.. i've lost the plot now

Offline thatollie

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »
Well don't worry about losing the plot. I was staring at something shiney when They were handing out plots. [I still haven't figured out who these mysterious "They" are. They seem to be in charge of everything.]

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
Of course they are, Ollie, that's why they're known as "They".

As for me, Lorraine, it really depends. I look at every topic that has an interesting title, but I usually don't reply to a lot because most of the time I have nothing very interesting to say. Or at least, I think I don't.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
I was going to put Them in my next novel but ultimate power is sooooo last century.

Offline ellie

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »
Well you've drawn me to this one Lorraine ;D
and Im curious about Ollie's shiney thing he was staring at and the mnysterious 'They' ! :o OOH ERR
 ;)
I like the quiz ones such as Author & Book titles..it oils the wheels of my brainbox. I love the coffee shop and find it mature to a lot of sites Ive looked in on.....knowledgable stuff to read but also fun too! ;)
Forgive me H.T as Im about to cross with your post......
sorry!
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
oh poo..

How could I not respond to a lass who writes 'oh poo..'  You 'sound' like my cousin Pam ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »
I was going to put Them in my next novel but ultimate power is sooooo last century.

Indeed. However, a passing mention of Them is fine occasionally.

Hello, Gyppo! I thought you'd turn up here eventually.

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »
I usually find that after I've considered my answer to a thread, thought about it, worked it out in 'Word' (so there's no spelling mistakes.  ::)) some bloody bugger has got there first. >:(

So that's why I 'View' it and don't end up actually answering it.  :(

I'm guessing it's the same for most people or am I out here in 'Cathy Land' all alone.  :'(
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »
I do that sometimes too, Cathy, so no worries. XD Shall I bring the marshmallows?

Offline thatollie

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 10:03:50 PM »
I don't do that [it cool if you though, no big deal] I think you deserve unedited thatollie.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »
I'm guessing it's the same for most people or am I out here in 'Cathy Land' all alone.  :'(

'Cathy Land' - the Ultimate Theme Park.  Visitors by appointment only...  Sometimes with musical accompaniment by 'Carrie on the Carousel'.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Simon

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 12:45:40 AM »
I think we should put intentional effort in finding one, at least slightly insightful, reply to every poem/story/script.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »
Hi Lorraine,

Hmm, interesting question, and yep, when it comes to reading but not posting, I'm 'Guilty as Charged'.

When I do post, it's usually because the piece doesn't seem to read right to me, as the reader. By that I mean doesn't 'flow' smoothly, so I do a bit of a re-write as a suggestion on how that might be improved. I was going to say I don't delve in to the murky worlds of Grammar and Punctuation, but I've just realised that that is just what I do; improving the flow of a piece usually means messing with commas, semi colons, full stops etc., as well as the odd word repeat and bits of spelling. Don't know if my suggestions are 'correct', they just make it read better to me personally. I find that important when I read a book; if it doesn't flow, it's hard work, so I usually put it down.

I must also confess that the subject has to interest me, so I usually comment on something in one of my preferred genres, though I do make the odd trip further afield. Many pieces I don't feel 'qualified' enough to comment on the content (though I might comment on the 'flow), and some I feel I know quite a lot about, in which case I often make a pillock of myself with my replies.  (If Nadine reads this, I re-decorated the kitchen yesterday, blobs of a nice oatmeal shade, when I stuck a spoon in to a bowl of hot porridge, straight out of the microwave...)

I try not to comment on the actual subject; that would only be my view, and maybe not too important. I might think any book about fairies is a load of doggie-doos, but there could well be several million other readers out there who like it, so it's unfair of me to maybe put the writer off simply because of my thoughts on his/her subject.

And as has been mentioned, I will often type out a reply, only to find that someone has beaten me to it, though I might then just add a short post pointing out my agreement with xxxx...

In general, I hope the replies I do make are helpful and encouraging; if any haven't been I apologise, they weren't intended otherwise.

Dave.

P.S. Ollie, I have a similar problem in that when 'They' shouted 'Brains', I thought they said 'Trains', and got on the last one...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"