Author Topic: How Many and How Long?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Lysianassa

• Myself and Gypsy
How Many and How Long?
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »
As a few of you might know, I am working on my supernatural thriller/horror novel The Immortal Way as well as 2 others. I divide my time between them, my horrible studies, a social life and multiple trips to the hospital for scans (I've just found out that I'm pregnant). I've just had a flash of inspiration for a new book and have started writing notes this afternoon and information to find out for this. I;ve even got a title for this as well!

What I want to know is, how many of you write multiple novels/works and how long do you spend on them? Do you give yourself a certain amount of time to work on them as well?
My head is longer my own - I am furious. When will my torment end?... If anybody is frustrated or unhappy in this lycee, it is me! They will make me lose my head  - Jean-Francois Champolloin

Offline thatollie

Re: How Many and How Long?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »
Sure, I've been writing 5 projects for about 4 months. And that's with some cutting down. I'll spend as much time on them as they need, right now I'm focusing on the novel-in-writing. And only working slowly on the plans for afterwards.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Doglover

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:37 AM »
Well, Im new, so  can't give you an experienced point of view, but your question reminded me of something I dicovered - maybe it will help you.
I discovered when trying to tackle housework (reluctantly) that if i flit from job to job, it gets done quicker and I don't feel bored on the one task.  In the end, its all done and I haven't felt it so much of a chore.

Anyway, maybe doing a few projects at once works good for you.  I say, go with what works.  Its probably your way of not going stale on the one job.  It probably keeps your brain ticking and your interest high, even if you aren't aware of it.

Previously, I could never understand how one person could have more than one book they were reading on the go - until recently I unintenionally had 3 on the go - and I actually loved it.  Going from one to the other was quite exciting.  Maybe its the same for writing in your case?

:)

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 08:01:43 AM »
meh...i'm working on...what? 2 novels, a book series, a poetry anthology and a Musical. I just work on them whenever i'm struck with the inspiration to work on them. I'll go to my computer one day and think..."hmmm, I had a great idea for Cheat earlier today, i'll work on that." or i'll work on the series, or whatever strikes my fancy. My theory is, is that if i work on these projects simultaneously, i'll finish them simultaneously too. I hope...cuz i don't like extra hangovers in projects...they make for bad press.

~matsamu
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline wildlegends

• Nigel Edwards, founder of Let's Get Published
    • Let's Get Published
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »
I usually have 2 or 3 things simmering in the background. I find it very useful, coz when you hit a blank spot for one, you can always switch to another. It not only helps to break up the monotomy that always arises at some point when you're writing something long like a novel, but it also, somehow, working on a second project often acts as a catalyst for ideas to do with the first. :)