Author Topic: How do you fight writers' block?  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Alex F

Re: How do you fight writers' block?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
Very true. its also the case for me that if my specific character of the moment likes a certain type of music, I find listening to that music as I'm writing about that character helps me imagine them and their actions with much greater clarity. For example I've got one character who is very fond of Acid Jazz, as am I and so when I listen to it even when I'm not writing, it makes me think about her and what I'm writing about her at the moment.
"Hell? There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is only this place, the land of the dead, my friend..."

Offline thatollie

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
I think every character should have a taste in music, it shouldn't affect the story but it's good to have. If someone wants to know how this is on topic, um, it adds to character development. Which is good, right?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Alex F

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 09:24:26 AM »
Oh absolutely, it is a good way of perhaps looking at a part of your character you've never thought about before which in turn could lead to you exploring an aspect of the plot itself and getting yourself out of writer's block. (see that's on topic :D
"Hell? There is no heaven, there is no hell, there is only this place, the land of the dead, my friend..."

Offline wildlegends

• Nigel Edwards, founder of Let's Get Published
    • Let's Get Published
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
When my brain doesn't want to create text, I go do something different for a while. Pull weeds, play with my cats, fire up graphics software and make art, whatever...

Couldn't agree more. :)

Offline jagsaw

• david spade rocks
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
carry on writing? I dunno.
new ideas bubbling up all the time?
write them down.... OR ELSE!!!

Offline thatollie

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »
I've heard that writer's block comes from the logical side of the brain taking over, so I try to give it a workout. Exhaust it, so I can get creative. I'll play chess, do number puzzles, plan my next piece. And I find myself back in the mood for writing.

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »
Well, first you need a very large sword...

No, actually, the way I beat writer's block? I go and research the first thing that comes to mind, whether it's a cheese sandwich or the kama sutra. Usually, since I'm so easily sidetracked, I find myself researching something entirely different after twenty minutes or so, and I have to wonder how I managed to get there. It probably helps that I'll read just about anything. This is how I get inspiration for a lot of things, and it does help with writer's block.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
I try to develop what info I do have, I have two characters, so how do they interact, how well do they know each other. You speak differently to different people.