Author Topic: Accepted  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Sasha6

Accepted
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »
Well, today I got my acceptence letter from West Virginia University into the theater program. It's funny because I wasn't excited. It was the only college I sent an application to and I wasn't even worried about not getting in. But now I'm worried about time. How much time will I have to work on this book that I'm trying to write? I'm in the theater department. I'll be working on shows most of the time. And this is just to build up a resume. After 2 years at WVU I plan on going to NY to the American Music and Dramatic Academy. And I have a felling I'll be pretty busy there too.
   Has anyone started to write something, just a really good idea and the begining to a really good book, only to find that it looks like it will be awhile until there will be time to finish it. And when you do have that time, will the desire to do it still be there? Or will there be short periods maybe after shows that I can write but a show can be exhausting.
   How have you done it? College and writing, work and writing. What's your advice?

~Sasha
My significant other is myself, which is what happens when you suffer from self-obsession and multiple personalities.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Accepted
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
Mixing work and writing is no great problem if you don't need much sleep.  If you do then you'll have to leave out something else to get your writing time.  But even half an hour a day will still get a lot done.  In fact...  here's the good news ;-)  You may find you get more done if your writing time is restricted.  Having less time to do something you really want to do can concentrate the mind wonderfully.

When I throw a fifteen minute writing exercise at my students on a completely random subject they are nearly always surprised by how much they get done.

Also, always remember that the physical act of siting at the keyboard and getting the words down is only the tip of the iceberg.  You can think about your story and untangle knots in your plot whilst scurrying between classes, or eating/cooking/etc.  Just remember to always carry that spare pad for short notes

Another way is to really blitz the thing when you're at home between terms.  If you can settle to it a week concentrating on nothing but your book could really amaze you.

I can see there might be a probem with writing something just after finishing a theatrical peformance.  I know from experience there is a spell when everything is 'buzzing' and you could conquer the world bare-handed, but a while later - during the post-show adrenaline slump - is probably not a productive time for writing.

If a show is particularly demanding mentally then your brain probably won't appreciate being cudgelled into creative writing mode.  But if the role is physically demanding whilst mentally 'lightweight' then writing a bit more of your book may be both an excellent relaxation and very produtive.

However...  Trust me on this.  If you really want to finish your book you will find the time somehow.

Best wishes.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Nadine L

Re: Accepted
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:38:39 PM »
As I recall, there were a number of activities in addition to learning that occurred at the university. It seemed people found the time for the activities that interested them. Give yourself a couple of weeks to get into a routine, then see what you can do.

Nadine