Author Topic: What are you wearing today?  (Read 27965 times)

Lin

What are you wearing today?
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:12 AM »
As we all differ in the way we dress I rather felt it was time to use this as a subject for writing descriptions in your novel or story.

If you would like to tell us what it is you are wearing today - would you mind if we used your descriptions in our novels?

I think that descriptions from reality help us writers to be more authentic.

Ive just added this to the thread

You guys might like to add the things you used to wear in the 70's and 80' or even 90's.   Some of our descriptions will not necessarily be in the Millenium years when we are writing.

So tell us what you were wearing in 1976 for example

So fire away and Ill tell you what I am wearing today and later in page 4 I tell you what I was wearing in 1976

White knee length shorts, white jumper with epaulettes on the shoulders, a pale blue, pink and white scarf tied with a gold scarf ring.   Red sandals.  Just to add to this message a little later on......   I think also we can draw a picture in our minds about a member as being a real person instead of an internet friend!!

Lin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:46:46 AM by Lin »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: What are you wearing today?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:21:23 AM »
All characters are entirely fictitious (as is this well-known statement) and bear no resemblance to any person either living, dead, or somewhere between these two extremes.  But, as Lin has pointed out, we are llikely to draw on our surroundings, both animate and inanimate, for descriptions.  So...

Gyppo is currently wearing blue straight leg jeans (Cheap 5 ones because I don't do expensive labels).  The cuffs are turned up because despite being nearly six feet tall I have 'dwarf' legs.  A cheap make-do webbing belt because my leather one finally died and I've not yet got around to making a replacement.

My shirt is one of many left over from my time with Royal Mail.  Good hard-weaing cotton, which is why they've lasted so long.  Light blue, with the Royal Mail logo on the the left breast pocket. This pocket also sports a small biro stain at the bottom of the narrow pen slot sewn into one side, and a number of fading vertical line pen lines on the fabric above the slot. A button-down collar (purely because that was what RM chose; I would never buy button down from choice).  Top three buttons undone.

The right pocket has an additional little flap where we were supposed to wear the brass badge bearing our name and number.

Sleeves rolled well up.

Bare feet, but sandals nearby in case I need to go any further than the garden or somewhere my Hippy callouses would offer insufficient protection.

An ex-postal elastic band keeps my ponytail under some semblance of control, and a plaited leather headband (a simple three string) keeps the hair out of my eyes.  Plait is made from three leather bootlaces and is over thirty years old, so it must be quality stuff.  (It's outlasted my belt...)

No rings, wristwatch, or 'Mystery Plait' Hippy wristband today.

All in all,  'casual dress', although my idea of being dressed up is pretty much the same, just better quality.  I'm one of those people who can make a suit look untidy just by being in the same room ;-(  A Prince in Rags, a Pauper in Finery ;-)

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

SuzieHarris

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:25:05 AM »
I'm wearing:

A long ankle length black pencil skirt with a front slit up to about my knee. I have a pale pink T-shirt on with a darker pink & black jumper. I have black pumps on with kitten heels.

I am normally sporting my jewellery (as you know from my blog http://chocolateandbling.blogspot.com I love bling!)

I haven't bothered doing my hair today as I'm not going out, so it's brushed back and tucked behind my ears.

Suzie x
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:05:41 PM by Suzie »

Offline chillies

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
So, so far we have the  ne'er do well urchin/street-wise look and the red-hot vixen look, and I'm not prepared to say which is which.

As for me I'm sporting a black tee-shirt, black sweatshirt, black jeans and just for a change white trainers. No expensive labels either at this time, but for future reference, If I wear anything with a label, it's usually on the inside.

chillies

Offline ellie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
Whoa Chillies..will you deliver me some black magic? ;)

Garden gear for me, been busy digging & watering:

short black shorts, beige & white suntop (yes,its been warm & muggy here!) and beigey/green trainers (no socks)..no makeup(sunscreen) and long hair pushed back behind ears, oh and my silver Celtic cross & chain.

Hey Byronic man, what d'you mean all characters are fictious? Seeing as I write about those folk I meet ( and my book is about my life in Portugal), all of mine have a pulse ;D
 ;)
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
i am wearing blue jeans (as usual) pink n purple socks, white belt, emerald green buttoned up top, absolutely no jewellery and some eye-make-up..im not prepared to discuss what else im wearing however!  and my hair is currently tied back...it has to be when u have a 6 month old constantly pulling at it :)

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »
I'm probably a bit boring here, but having just got up (I work nights, remember...) I have on a grey teeshirt that sports a picture of a cat, lying on his/her back, paws akimbo, a happy eyes closed 'smile' on its face, with the logo 'I don't do mornings'.

Plain blue jeans, one of three pairs I've bought this week with 32" waist, just because I can now wear them ( ;D), and a new pair of sandals, which have a tread on the bottom to rival some of the better fell walking boots I've seen.

Dave.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
I am wearing navy track suit bottoms with a white stripe up the side of the leg, with a red t shirt emblazoned with a heart and a red hooded sweat jacket. Have just realised in fact that it's the same jacket that I waear in my avatar picture. I was also wearing navy socks with black shoes, but have taken the shoes off now ! This is quite normal dress for me, since I am a casual kind of girl. 

June 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:38:12 PM by Talisman »
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:39:10 PM »

Hey Byronic man, what d'you mean all characters are fictious? Seeing as I write about those folk I meet ( and my book is about my life in Portugal), all of mine have a pulse ;D
 ;)

You weren't paying attention, Dear Lady...  You ignored the bit in brackets ;-)

All characters are entirely fictitious (as is this well-known statement)

I don't think any of my characters have ever been entirely fictitious, although i would deny this if it ever ame to a court case ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

allonby

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
I'm wearing a black v neck thingy, had it for yonks. It's in between a t shirt/sweater, one of them hippy wrist bands multi coloured rasta style, moving down, a pair of blue slightly faded diesel jeans [best pair I've had for years] a pair of suede shoes, sand coloured, black socks oh and my reading glasses.

Al

Offline ninian

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »
I'm now intrigued by this thread as some of you mention the shoes you are wearing.  So, do many people wear shoes inside the house?  I don't know of anyone who does where I live.

I'm in the midst of finishing marking absolute reams of history papers (in addition to teaching junior high, I mark for an Islamic history professor) and I'm so tired of reading about the Ottoman Empire or, alternatively, the role of women in Islam, I've turned to MWC for a little late afternoon break. (It's 4:16pm and I've been at these papers since about 9:30 this morning).

Because I'm marking (as well as doing laundry) I'm wearing my light blue University of Winnipeg sweatshirt and my most comfy black yoga pants - with a white stripe up the side.  I haven't anything on my feet at the mo, but I alternate between bare feet and my big, pink, down-filled slippers.  It's a lovely spring day and I have the patio door open, but it's only about 15 degrees C so occasionally my toes get cold!  :P
Anyone can be passionate, it takes real lovers to be silly.  - Rose Franken

Offline go.dot

• feeling strange again
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
a gimp suit, manolo blahnik's and a WWII gas mask
kthanxbai

Offline Lina

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 05:51:17 PM »
I'm now intrigued by this thread as some of you mention the shoes you are wearing.  So, do many people wear shoes inside the house?  I don't know of anyone who does where I live.
I never wear shoes inside the house. Sometimes I wear slippers, sometimes just socks.
At this minute I'm wearing light blue t-shirt with a picture of a kitten and silver studs, white pyjama bottoms with teddy bears on them, black socks with light blue heels and toes,  red slippers with a cat on each and a lime green cardigain with a zip. I wish you had asked on any other day. I hate the colour of the carigain. I only bought it because of the zip.

HT_Llewellyn

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »
I'm wearing heather-grey shorts(probably sports wear of some kind) with four white stripes on, two on each side, and I'm wearing a white t-shirt that I long ago chopped the collar and sleeves off of. Am also wearing no shoes/socks/slippers/etc. because believe it or not, it's too hot here in Chicago to be wearing such things. At least, where I live. Am very glad I got my hair cut as short as it is else I would be dying from the heat right now.

Offline ellie

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
You weren't paying attention, Dear Lady...  You ignored the bit in brackets ;-)

All characters are entirely fictitious (as is this well-known statement)

I don't think any of my characters have ever been entirely fictitious, although i would deny this if it ever ame to a court case ;-)

Gyppo

I used to get told off for that in school BM..not paying enough attention ;D

Put it all down to my excitement of it being St Georges Day tomorrow ..and anticipating the red rose Im going to wear ;)
sweet dreams..
ellie
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm