Author Topic: Loot  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Hilary Hughes

• The Hughes School of Motoring
Loot
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:48:11 AM »
Just flogging a coulple of items in Loot and have received the following enquiries..( I've copy and posted )-
1)
Hi,
Thanks very much for the email reply,sorry that am geting back to you late,it look great and I 'm interested in purchasing it.Concerning theshipment have a shipper company that will handle the shipment so you dont need to bother about the shipment.however,This is how the paymentwill be made ,I will instruct a client of mine to issue you the sum of(2,000) in your name, which the cost of your {wordprocessor  and keyboard}{35)will be deductand the remaining balance will be send back to my Shipper via western union money transfer for immediate pickup arrangment at your location..If this is okay with you do get back to me with your in formation as listed below, for quick process of the payment .Hope to hear from you soonest.
FULL NAME :
ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
POST CODE:
TEL NUMBER:
I am willing to give out 50 for considering the item sold to me.
N.B, THE CHEQUE WILL CLEAR YOUR BANK BEFORE THE SHIPPER COME FOR THE PICKUP
2)
Hello,
      Thanks for the mail and am okay with the price and i could have love to come and view it myself but am not in the UK for now and there's a client of mine that's owing me the sum of money and he's promised to pay me whenever i needed it by issuing out a cashier's cheque or banker's draft for me that's i decided to use it to buy all the {item} from you so i will want you to give me your details below

NAME ON THE CHEQUE
HOME ADDRESS
COUNTRY
ZIPCODE
LANDLINE AND MOBILE NUMBER

All these is needed so that i can instruct my client to issue out the cheque payment in your name and as soon as the cheque payment is gotten bank it in your bank when it clears i will now instruct my shipper to come for the pick-up at your location and i could have love to call you but am having a problem with my phone in which am rectifying as soon as am through with it i will like to talk to you inperson and i will want you to go and removed the advert from where you have posted it to considered it sold to me ok.It's my pleasure doing business with you.Hope to read from you soon.

N:B I will wait for the cheque payment to clear before the pick-up of it at your location ok.

Regards..

Now, just what are these guys up to and do I steer clear. I'd though of cashing said cheque at the local pawn brokers where my bank details would not be received by these people.
Any comments?
Hilary.
http://www.thehughesschoolofmotoring.com/

Experience is a hard teacher - she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Offline Fair to Middling

Re: Loot
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:51 AM »
Yikes!

Number One sounds like he's trying to launder some cash or something odd.  We occasionally had foreign customers try this at work, the Iranians and Vietnamese were prime candidates.  Actually thinking about it number one probably wants some Sterling Cash for some reason.  I guess he's in another country where hard currency may be difficult to come by.  I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, but the Accounts Director at work always gave these requests a big thumbs down, even from customers we'd been selling to for years.

Number Two 'could' be on the level.  He's asked for your account name and address to send the cheque to, but it could be a sneaky way to get your bank details.  It does remind me of the scam emails from places like Nigeria where a member of the government wants your help in getting twenty six million dollars out of the country.  To have a debtor pay a third party seems a very strange way of doing business to me, especially when the third party is a private citizen not a company.

Personally I'd hold out for a domestic buyer.
The greatest gift of night is not stealth, but daring.

Offline Hilary Hughes

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
yes, that's what I thought.

I'll probably hang on for something a little more above board.

Indeed, I've since found out that these people initially depoit the money into your account and then somehow manage to get it back leaving you with the deficit.

Hilary.

Experience is a hard teacher - she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards

Lin

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »
Yes under no circumstances take it seriously!!

Lin

Offline Hilary Hughes

Offline Fair to Middling

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
Did you ever sell the thing or does it still lurk in the cupboard under the stairs?
The greatest gift of night is not stealth, but daring.

Offline Hilary Hughes

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:21:08 AM »
Yes,

A real flesh and blood buyer came round and bought it yesterday!

I've still got another item I'm trying to shift ( I tried to sell it to the buyer yestereday but he wasan't interested -probably because he'd come for the keyboard and not a word processor - still, it's always worth a try...)

Anywway, one down and one to go...!

Hilary