Author Topic: Favourite poems, previously Aubades  (Read 14187 times)

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
Re: Favourite poems, previously Aubades
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
That is lovely and sad, Sat! I've never read it. Also, love Seamus Heaney, 'Bog Queen' is exquisite.

Please post 'Pacific Lament' if you find it! I looked for it, but also no luck. :(

Leigh

ps edit: I found the poem, it is stunning. Gorgeous, moving, brings tears. I love it. It's on a personal blog, though... do we post a link like that?? Or only legit sites?  -L

Posting a link to a poem on a blog is perfectly ok.  I don't know of any bloggers that would object to that (you are after all directing people to their blog which is what they want).  What wouldn't be appropriate is to post the actual poem here (without permission). 

Oh, and if you like a poem you see on a blog, post a comment or send the blogger an email telling them.  I just got a short "I loved your Winter poem" message from someone who visited my blog, and just knowing that someone has read and enjoyed something you have written seems to make it all worth while.
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
In this case though the blogger is posting a poem by another author, not his own poem, and so may be infringing copyright.  but Pacific Lament was first published in 1946, so perhaps it is past copyright now?
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 04:41:09 PM »
In this case though the blogger is posting a poem by another author, not his own poem, and so may be infringing copyright.  but Pacific Lament was first published in 1946, so perhaps it is past copyright now?

Not sure, but I think copyright extends for 50 years after the death of the copyright holder, though I also seem to recall someone suggesting that it be extended to 75 years.  And, yes, you are right if the blog was in violation of copyright then we shouldn't link it.  My comments extended simply to poetry written by the blog owner.
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Allie

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »

Leigh

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:18 PM »
Allie, that is certainly lovely! Thanks for sharing it.  :)

Leigh

Leigh

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 02:18:30 AM »
Here is a stunning one, by Christine Klocek-Lim: 'Tonight I walked into the sunset'. If you haven't read her yet, you must. She's worth it!  :)

http://www.novembersky.com/poetry_htmls/2006poems_htmls/tonight.html

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:43:27 AM by Leigh »

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
those are both really lovely, I love this thread :)

I was actually thinking of having the opposite thread.  Not exactly the opposite, because I don't mean poems you actually hate - but I was thinking more of highly acclaimed poems that you don't quite get yourself.  Or that you see or experience in a different way from other people.  I was thinking of - and before I state this, I do think it's a lovely poem - but loads of people tell me that this the most erotic poem they've ever read (there's nothing explicit, for those of a shy disposition).  And I can definitely see what's erotic about it, I just wouldn't say I was struck with immediate pangs of lust upon reading it, so I'm always a bit puzzled when folk (usually men) tell me this knocks them to the floor with longing....(um, am I going into way too much detail here and digging a deep hole for myself?).  Well, anyway, I may as well post it, because I love Carol Ann Duffy anyway, and it may bring some enjoyment to other readers out there:  Warming her pearls (Carol Ann Duffy)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline eric

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
I agree with you, Sat.  I can see a sensual element in the poem but I can't see how it knocks people's socks off in that department. 

I would suggest Mary Oliver but I know that any versions of her poems on the internet would be violating her copyright because she doesn't allow her poetry to float freely on the web.  She used to track people down and email them about this (I wasn't one of them).  "Wild Geese" is my favorite.  If you get one of her books, check out this one.

Copyrights, like other forms of property, are transferable.  A copyright for life+fifty or +seventy-five can be sold or granted to a company or anyone else.    I don't know if a copyright can be renewed.   

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »
Well, that's a pretty huge coincidence.  I just recommended Wild Geese to someone else about 6 hours ago.  Here's a page with a link to some of her poems, including Wild Geese:  http://mclibrary.nhmccd.edu/lit/oliver.html  It seems to be a university site, so hopefully it's legitimate.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:59 AM »
This is quite interesting.  I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I think I've come across a case of 100 year old plagiarism (and I hoped the poems were interesting enough to merit a look, hence my choice of this thread to post in).

I was searching for a poem about the mythological goddess Anahid, by Siamanto (real name Atom Yarjanian), but the version I found I thought was a rather clumsy translation so I kept looking.  And I came across this very very similar poem, but attributed to a different author.  It looks as if the second author re-wrote the first poem to be "tighter", and then just claimed it as his own.  Siamanto was very famous in his day - a sort of Armenian Baudelaire (he studied in Paris, so perhaps that influenced him).  I'm guessing this other fellow may have been famous too, as he lived in Constantinople and died in 1915 (when a lot of Armenian notables were murdered in Constantinople).

Have a look, see what you think:

http://www.umd.umich.edu/dept/armenian/literatu/prayer.html  (version attributed to Siamanto/aka Atom Yarjanian)

http://www.usanogh.com/content/view/395/96/  (version attributed to Daniel Varoujan)

Anyone else come across anything similar with famous writers?

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »
Here's another one I really love:

A True Account of Talking to the Sun at Fire Island (Frank O'Hara)

Offline eric

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »
One of my favorite poems is the Drunken Boat by Rimbaud. 

http://www.mag4.net/Rimbaud/poesies/Boat.html

He wrote it when he was 17.  Apparently it is better in the French, but it is still amazing. 

German Voodoo

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »
I don't read much poetry. I'll contribute one thing.

_

Beautiful girls
   Just primp
    But beautiful boys
    Do suffer.

White wash rain stain
Gravel roof glass black
   Red wood blue neon
   Green elevators
   Birds that change color
   And white ants
      Climbing to your knee
      Earnest for deliverance.

__

Chorus 32 of Kerouac's San Fran Blues.

Offline eric

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »
Read the Rimbaud poem, GV.  You should read as much as you can, BTW.

German Voodoo

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »
I just read it. Interesting perspective. Traditional, it seems, but it managed to turn what I thought would be cliche into something not.