Poll

Which would be the best way to handle this situation?

No problems
7 (46.7%)
Physical disability
1 (6.7%)
Mental disability
1 (6.7%)
Developmental disability
1 (6.7%)
Emotional disability
1 (6.7%)
Mild
2 (13.3%)
Moderate
1 (6.7%)
Severe
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Realism vs. suspension of disbelief?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Jezzica85

Realism vs. suspension of disbelief?
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:02:05 PM »
Hi all,
In a story I'm writing at the moment, a woman was severely hurt (and almost died), and when that happened she was two weeks pregnant. Now, since she has enough issues to deal with later on, I sort of wanted her child to come out OK (basically, so there isn't too much happening in the story at once). Would I be able to pull that off, or would I need to add a little problem for the child to stop people from going, "Yeah, right"? Having one myself, I'm sure I could write a disability convincingly, but the whole story is from the mother's point of view, and I have a feeling it might get a little old to have her agonizing about first this issue and then that issue--you get the idea. If you vote, please vote for a disability type and a degree (I made it so you can vote eight times, just in case you think all the options are equally plausible).

Anyhow, what does anyone think?? Thanks as always, and thanks for tolerating my spiel with all the options!
Jezzica85
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline DC

Re: Realism vs. suspension of disbelief?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:11:26 AM »
Hi Jezzica,

Two weeks or two months? At two weeks, the embryo is still little more than a ball of cells, and cell differentiation has hardly begun, if at all. It's some years since I studied this, but at this stage, most of the cells would still be totipotent; they can still differentiate in to any cell type. So any damage done to the embryo in what ever hurt the mother may well be totally repaired, if the embryo wasn't killed. The brain/nervous system don't start to develop until about six week, so mental damage would be unlikely on your time scale. The same for physical disability.

As I say, it's a long time since I studied this, but if I were you I'd do a bit of research in to this early stage of embryonic development. I had a quick look here: http://www.visembryo.com/baby/index.html

You may find that useful, and/or there may be other links from that site.

Cheers,

Dave.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline charlie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:45:14 AM »
A baby is well protected in the womb and at two weeks it would be believeable that the embryo could come out fine. I read an artical about a woman that sky dived in the early stages of pregnancy and her parachute failed her baby survived unharmed. She didn't know she was pregnant or she would not have been sky diving which brings me to my question are you proposing that your charecter is aware that she is pregnant at the time of the accident because most women would be four to five weeks pregnant before they know.

charlie. x

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »
That's a really cool story charlie! And yes, two weeks, and no, she doesn't know at the time. Actually, part of my major in college is biology, so I knew a bit about that; the part I was more concerned about was what my readers would think; sometimes (from what I've been told) realism in writing can seem unbelievable, if that makes any sense, which is why I might have wanted to put in a disability, but hey, if it would still work that's fine too--it just makes the storyline easier for me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:46:44 PM by Jezzica85 »
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:16:45 PM »
I would have the baby come out ok with no problems...BUT...I wouldn't let anyone know that throughout the pregnancy. Make everyone - the reader and the folks on your story, especially the mother-to-be - wonder. That would be suspenseful without having your protagonist give birth to a handful of problems in the long run.

Just a thought. :)
~paramour.

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:35:39 PM »
Ooh, sneaky...I like that. That is a definite possibility.
Thanks!
Jezzica85

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 11:53:34 PM »
 8)

Sneaky. That's my middle name. ;)
~paramour.

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 11:56:03 PM »
Lol! Yet another important criterion to be a writer, right?  8) :D ;) ;D 8)

By the way, cute kitty in your picture. I love cats; I have 4! <3

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
I think more than a few folks here have feline writing partners. ;) I think the kitties beam creative thoughts telepathically into our brains! muhahaha! And you thought that purring sound was nothing more than a happy sound! They are reading my mind!!! 8)
~paramour.

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 07:52:52 PM »
Oh, absolutely!
One of my cats hates it when I'm on the computer too much though. He'll wait until I get to a great scene, and then he'll jump up and purr right in front of the monitor and stick his butt in my face--and he won't stop until I pet him, which means that I normally lose the scene anyway. Actually, it's never much of a loss--usually I write better afterward, so maybe he is telepathic. Hmm...

:D

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
Remember: Tin Foil Hats!!!
~paramour.