Author Topic: A Little Help  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Tarnished Halo

• View Profile
A Little Help
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:02:37 AM »
 ;D
Hi All! I am currently working on a short story about a serial killer just starting out. Music helps a great deal in my writing process, I just need to find the 'write' soundtrack. Does anyone have any suggestions for music of any kind that makes you think of a killer? (two of mine are 'Riders on the Storm' by The Doors and 'Follow You Home' by Nickelback) All replies helpful. Thanks!
TarnishedH

Offline diayana

• I'd really like to move now.
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »
Well, I'm not too sure, but "Stab My Back" by American Rejects sounds like one. I don't know if that's one that you would use. I'm sorry if that song doesn't work. That was the first one that came to my head.

_Diayana :)

PS- Why don't you try listening to scary movies, and cover the screen so you could concentrate. That always helps me.

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »
I don't think there's one simple answer to this because, despite what the tabloid media tell you, real serial killers are not usually influenced by listening to music.

OK, so death / black metal are the obvious choices - try Mortis or Deicide.

But that's too easy, that sort of carton evil is only taken seriously by someone who's already pretty twisted.

Try listening to the first track on the Mezzine album by Massive Attack  - I think it's called Angel. The opening bars where the rimshot comes every so slightly too late are enough to drive anyone to murder.

Then of course there's Psyco Killer by Talking Heads. David Byrne once said something I consider very profound : Marilyn Manson is not scary, someone who looks perfectly normal but says the things Marilyn Manson says... that is scary.

Talking of Manson, Charles Manson made up a lot of rubbish about the Beatles Helter Skelter to impress his followers, but he later admitted that he didn't really like hippie music and he was more into tunes like Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me.

Offline Jezzica85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »
How about "Down With the Sickness" by Disturbed (I hate the song but I know of it), or "Pain" by Three Days Grace? If you just want pounding music you could try Disturbed's remake of "Land of Confusion" (I like that song quite a bit myself, not really sure why) or "Dragula" by Rob Zombie. Speaking of Rob Zombie, "Living Dead Girl" might also be a good choice for a serial killer.

Hope that helps,
Jezzica85
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

thatollie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:13:47 AM »
Britney Spears

Offline SweetRosalyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:17:01 AM »
All the music mentioned thus far that I've heard of, I like.  What does that say about my psyche? ;)

Edit: Except Britney Speares.

Seriously, though.  Most of the music mentioned is less about being a serial killer and more about being angry.  Most serial killers, as far as I can tell, aren't so much angry as they are disturbed/mentally unbalanced.  What is motivating your serial killer, are they sane and killing people for specific/rational reasons?  Or are they insane?  Music that makes you feel disconnected from reality is probably going to be better if you want to get into a non-sane mindset, trance or something like that, perhaps?  Rather than trying to get an 'evil' atmosphere - no one ever really thinks of themself as the bad guy, we're all the good guys in our own mind, we all have our reasons for what we do.  So do serial killers.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:24:54 AM by SweetRosalyn »
Please enter Poetry Challenge #142 by midnight GMT Tuesday 13th September
Theme: stark. Must be 20 lines or less and use at least two senses (taste, touch, smell, etc.) Thanks :3

thatollie

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »
Some people like being the bad guy, I used to. Now, what does that say about my psyche? I still maintain that pop makes people kill, like educational video games and PG 13s.

Offline SweetRosalyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:19 AM »
There's a difference between liking being the bad guy, and genuinely believing you're evil.  Once you get down to the nitty gritty, people always feel in the end they're justified in being a bastard because of x y z bad things that happened to them/people being crap/people deserving it, etc.  They never feel they're actually evil and bad, and should be destroyed for the good of the world.

(I'm ignoring the complicated issue of low self esteem/depression/psychosis, because otherwise we'd be here for days, and the whole point of mental illness is that your thoughts aren't exactly/entirely rational, or even coherent, a lot of the time.)
Please enter Poetry Challenge #142 by midnight GMT Tuesday 13th September
Theme: stark. Must be 20 lines or less and use at least two senses (taste, touch, smell, etc.) Thanks :3

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »
The soundtrack for the movie "Queen of the Damned" has a sinister bent. You may want to try that one.

ps: hearing Britney Spears makes me feel like killing...myself! If you can count suicide by bimbo, then that may work, too! ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:17:44 AM by paramour »
~paramour.

thatollie

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »
So Paramour, how do you feel about educational television?

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:57:50 AM »
Whether or not something is sinister can be quite subjective. Facades by Philip Glass is often used in films and TV to suggest something sinister, but I think of it as a very calming piece of music.

Offline Tarnished Halo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 11:53:46 AM »
Thanks for suggestions so far. To clarify, these songs are to put me in the serial killer kind of mood. I love living life (and creating alternate realities) to a soundtrack. Keep them coming!!!

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 11:16:40 AM »
So Paramour, how do you feel about educational television?

I love it. Other than movies, all I watch on the tube is news, documentaries, public broadcasting channel, Discovery, National Geographic, Court TV. Give me reality and knowledge. Sitcoms bore me.

...why do you ask?
~paramour.

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
To answer the original question, I think some of those movie soundtracks might help, like Jaws or Alien. :)

thatollie

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »
I love it. Other than movies, all I watch on the tube is news, documentaries, public broadcasting channel, Discovery, National Geographic, Court TV. Give me reality and knowledge. Sitcoms bore me.
That's not quite what I meant, I meant things made to educate and pander to the kids low attention spans. Like the updated Romeo & Juliet with DiCaprio