Author Topic: Stressed  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Writer Boy

Stressed
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
Hello to anybody reading this, I need some advice. When I'm older I want to be an author, like most people on this board. Everyone says write as much as you want but what if you dont write enough? What if I don't get anywhere. Because I don't want to write all my childhood and get no where. Advice please!

Writer Boy
Writing is important to me, It's something I most certainly NEED to do.

Offline Jezzica85

Re: Stressed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »
Hey Writer Boy,
I'm hoping to have a second career as an author, and I had much the same problem you did. I would write all the time when I was a kid, but I'd get maybe 3 pages into a story at the most and then lose interest. It was very frustrating, and I went through short stories, tries at books, and poems, until finally when I was about 17 I gave up because I'd spent my entire childhood getting nowhere--or so I thought.

Then, about 2 years ago, something happened. I was on a bike ride, and reminiscing a bit about how I used to like to be a writer. Well, I got an idea that day. It was completely random and I didn't expect it; it just came out of nowhere and I liked it. As of now, I'm on my fourth draft of my book, I have plans to eventually turn it into a trilogy, I absolutely love it, and I see no signs that I'm going to slow down or lose interest.

So what I'm saying basically is, don't worry about numbers, don't worry about writing enough, and don't worry about "getting anywhere." Anything you do is getting somewhere--even if it doesn't seem like much, it sort of prepares you for when you have that breakout moment. You'll get there, I'm sure of it--it just takes time, and you shouldn't rush it or force it. Keep reading, keep writing, if you end up abandoning something, fine. Eventually, you'll get to the story you really want to stick with, and it won't be something you have to worry about anymore, just fun and a way you express yourself.

That, of course, is what writing is all about!

Best of luck!
Jezzica85
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:16:14 AM »
Would you prefer to look back and say, "I wish I'd tried to do it." If you give up now, that day is almost guaranteed to come.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »
Jezzica has the right idea, Writer Boy. You worry too much. Just have fun with it and don't sweat the big stuff. Or the small stuff for that matter. :)
~paramour.