Author Topic: Your Writing Room  (Read 5906 times)

Offline chillies

Re: Your Writing Room
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59:20 AM »
Wow! DC, you're very lucky to such a view

chillies

Offline Smiley

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

Did you see the room in yesterday's Guardian - I want one of them! >:( :D

Lina, I'm not usually a very tidy person but there really isn't room in there to make a mess - its definately what you would call cosy :D

Gyppo, thanks for that tip, I'll look out for the non-slip mat. I'm very impressed with your writing room, it looks like very hard working, organised chaos - a bit like the inside of my mind ;D

Allie, yes the books are a selection of 'how to write' books, dictionary, thesaurus, novels on my 'to read' list that I haven't yet got round to reading and my journals. The shelves that you can just about see to the left are full of books too and there's loads more scattered around the house :-\ I need to write a bestselling novel to fund a bigger writing room. :D

Dave, I agree with Allie & Chillies - how do you manage to write in your room? I would just sit and watch the wildlife all day and night, you are very lucky.

I would love to see more of your writing rooms posted here (cos I'm nosey like that ;D) - get posting your piccies folks.

Smiley x  :)
Smiles make the world a happier place, share yours with a stranger it could make their day.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 06:41:55 AM »
My main writing room is my bedroom...  insofar as most of my ideas come to me in the middle of the night, and I have a little flashlight by the side of the bed so I can jot them down.  My second favourite writing room is the street - ie, when I'm walking down it.  I keep a tiny notebook in my handbag.  I have a small office off of the living room, where my home computer is.  but I only use this room for typing, not writing (ie, even after I type out a draft, I'll print it out so that I can do the amendments by hand.  and this I usually do in the bedroom or kitchen or living room).
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline thatollie

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
I write at the library, there's always a few people writing things around.
Never make a decision standing up.

Leigh

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 02:48:17 PM »
My writing room is my bedroom, the rest of our house being filled with living... kids' bedrooms, etc. So, our Dell pc is here, the whole set-up on a small computer desk in the corner of our bedroom. I have two large windows which look out onto a large forest in our backyard, mostly fir and cedar, and of course some scrub trees. We see deer, and coyote. Sometimes my silly, smart grey tabby will climb the screen, to look in at me, letting me know in no uncertain terms that she needs attention. :)  I have decorated this room in soothing, warm tones, and my teak quilt-covered sleigh bed, matching dressers, nightstands, etc, all add to the rustic feel of the room. It is my sanctuary and escape from the usual noise of children, in the other rooms. I mainly write while they are off at school. In the afternoons and on weekends, I must, and do, put on my Mom hat! :) I have a star shaped paper lantern hanging in the far corner near the ceiling; in the evenings it gives a lovely glow. Sometimes I wish my screen wasn't so bright and white, even when I tone it down! I do my best writing in complete silence; I never listen to music while I write. I find it distracting, I tend to begin writing in the mood and tone of the recording artist, instead of my own! :D I need quiet, to be able to hear my own thoughts. Some might find my writing room a little too relaxing- it could tend to put you to sleep! :) But this is my favorite room in the house.

Leigh x

edited to add: Sorry, Smiley (and anyone else) I am much, much too private to post piccy's of my room on the internet! :P :D  You will have to use my description and your imaginations.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:52:30 PM by Leigh »

Offline Lina

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:32 PM »
Smiley, I'm sure I could manage to make a mess even in a tiny cupboard.

Leigh, it's good that you've managed to make yourself a cosy office that you love out of your bedroom and get writing done in it. You and DCC, you both have such pleasant views. I get a good view of the sunset that makes me just want to go to the sea. Someone take me away from all this........When I get into writing I could be anywhere so I don't mind what the view is as long as I have the choice of quietness or music.

Offline Allie

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 05:19:06 PM »
Gyppo, don't know if you saw The Guardian's writing room yesterday, but it was Will Self's and he had a wall of post-it notes like yours. :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 06:16:24 PM »
If that means he has a mind like mine I feel sorry for the poor chap ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Allie

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
No you don't, Gyppo. You wouldn't swap your mind with anyone. :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
It's true that I wouldn't swap, but I'd still feel sorry for anyone else cursed/blessed with my box of tricks.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Allie

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »
I dunno, Gyppo. It's pretty nifty at turning the world into words, and very funny ones at that. :)

Offline thatollie

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »
I have this picture that really inspires my, and I've totally forgotten where I got it or what it's supposed to be. I'll scan it in when I figure out our darn scanner.
Never make a decision standing up.