Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 399404 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #1620 on: January 14, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
The very first day I decided to write was the day I joined up.

That I didn't know.  So let's add 'lucky' to your list of attributes.  Because you didn't fall into one of the more destructive 'circles' out there.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1621 on: January 15, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »
Thanks, Don.

That I didn't know.  So let's add 'lucky' to your list of attributes.  Because you didn't fall into one of the more destructive 'circles' out there.
Gyppo

Definitely. The very first story I published was with Pearl Luke advertising here on MWC. Pays to hang around.  :D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1622 on: January 17, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »
Double benefit; -)

One of the backhanded 'benefits' of writing for magazines is the delay between acceptance and payment.  Today I got the cheque for the cycling article I was bragging about some time ago.

So first you get the I've been accepted feel good factor, and then, when you've almost forgotten, you get another boost from the more tangible benefit of a cheque.

Very timely too ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #1623 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
Enjoy it all Gyppo -- the payment and the reminder of success. :) :) :)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #1624 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »
Don't forget the feel-good ego boost of seeing your article with layout, Gyppo.

Enjoy that check. Seems old-fashioned to me. I usually get paid direct deposit.  ;)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1625 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »
Double benefit; -)

One of the backhanded 'benefits' of writing for magazines is the delay between acceptance and payment.  Today I got the cheque for the cycling article I was bragging about some time ago.

So first you get the I've been accepted feel good factor, and then, when you've almost forgotten, you get another boost from the more tangible benefit of a cheque.

Very timely too ;-)

Gyppo

Really does feel like two wins. I once submitted a story to a Canadian publisher who decided to hang onto the story for a while, which was already a great thing because I was just starting out. About six months later I got the acceptance letter. To my surprise, somewhere in that six month period, that non-paying market became a pro market, and I got 150 dollars for the story. I was over the moon.  :D
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1626 on: January 21, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »
Here's my latest publication: http://blackpetalsks.tripod.com/blackpetalsissue58/id11.html

It was actually written and accepted quite a while back, but it's now finally available. Let's just say it was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe.  ;)

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #1627 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:48 AM »
There you go.

What's the count now, Joe?

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1628 on: January 21, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »
What's the count now, Joe?

Thirty seven. I already counted this one when I got the acceptance.  :D

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #1629 on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »
Congratulations, Joe.

Interestingly enough, yesterday was Poe's birthday. For the third year in a row, the 'Poe Toaster' failed to make an appearance. It appears yet another tradition has come to an end, but you have started your own with all these stories being published. Keep up the good work.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1630 on: January 21, 2012, 01:42:54 AM »
Congratulations, Joe.

Interestingly enough, yesterday was Poe's birthday. For the third year in a row, the 'Poe Toaster' failed to make an appearance. It appears yet another tradition has come to an end, but you have started your own with all these stories being published. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Don. I recall seeing a lot of Poe links, pictures and quotes on Facebook yesterday and this morning. Now I know why. Thanks.

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #1631 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
Congrats Joe!!! My first short was published in SQ magazine 3rd edition. My first and only, up to date. And Scary and exciting and everything else that comes with being "out there".  ;D ;D
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1632 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »
Thank you and congrats as well, Chandara. I know the editors at SQ magazine, and they uphold a very high standard. So I'm certain you'll have more stories published real soon.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #1633 on: January 22, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »
Congratulations!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline trev

« Reply #1634 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »
Say Joe, roughly how many words in your short stories? Congratulations by the way.
I gained Experience from not reading the small print.