Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 399621 times)

Offline Matt Walker

Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #1395 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
Congrats again, Joe! I'm guessing another big one you're waiting for is MOD2? We're supposed to hear sometime this month I think.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1396 on: October 16, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
Let's drive a point home here.  I realise this is mostly preaching to the already converted, but it's worth saying again because we all forget at times.  And there's a bunch of well worn but still useful clichés ;-)

Joe' success rate reminds me of the story about a musician who mention to a friend, a 'struggling' musician,  that he would be playing at The Albert Hall next week.

"You're lucky." Said his friend.

"True.  Tell you something else I've noticed.  The more I practice the luckier I get."

Joe has talent, but he works at it too  He clearly understands that manuscripts sat in cupboards or languishing on hard drives aren't being seen.  He keeps on putting stuff out there in front of the people who buy.

One of the biggest mistakes any writer who wants to sell can make is to put a single item out there and wait until it's accepted before submitting another.

I've just had a look in my 'subs' book and currently have 20 items outstanding, receipt mostly  acknowledged but neither accepted or refused.  It's not really enough, there should be more floating around to entice buyers.  I need to get my finger out ;-)  There'll be at least a couple more today now I've looked in the book and realised.  A couple of things on the 'back boiler' will get bought forwards before the day is out.

It can be difficult, even soul destroying to keep submitting in the face of apparent indifference.  especially when you don't even get an acknowledgement of receipt.  There will always be that little niggle at the back of your mind, wondering if it even got there.  But the boost to your enthusiasm and productivity when something you've given up on gets accepted a couple of years after you've virtually forgotten it, will set you up for a few weeks.

Researching potential markets is nowhere near as much fun as writing, but it has to be done.  Rewriting something which was 'quite good' into something which is 'much better' can feel like damned hard work, which comes as a nasty shock to those who feel creativity and spontaneity should top everything else, but it almost inevitably improves the finished item.

So...  If you seriously think your work's good enough...  Get it out there.  Give it a chance to shine.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1397 on: October 16, 2011, 06:57:15 AM »
Well said, Gyppo. And thanks Skip, Sio and Matt.

Yip, Machine of Death 2 and Cutting Block Press is some of the very big ones I'm still waiting for.

I'm concentrating so much on my novel now that I'm not writing new short stories, but whenever
I get a rejection I use the editors advice to improve it before sending it off. It's really a drag, like Gyppo said,
but in the end well worth it. If I receive a standard rejection, it means I most likely slipped up in my market
research or I'm just not ready for that market yet. YET!  :D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #1398 on: October 16, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
Gyppo, one thing you failed to mention (directly) that I'm sure you, Joe, Matt and all others who have their submissions accepted is that you checked, double checked your grammar and punctuation before sending them on their way rather than expecting some unknown and unseen editor to do it for you.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1399 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
True.  Every little helps.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1400 on: October 16, 2011, 01:56:39 PM »
Gyppo, one thing you failed to mention (directly) that I'm sure you, Joe, Matt and all others who have their submissions accepted is that you checked, double checked your grammar and punctuation before sending them on their way rather than expecting some unknown and unseen editor to do it for you.

I sometimes get sick of rereading the same story over and over again. But someone has to do it.  :D
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #1401 on: October 16, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Great news, Joe. You are obviously doing it right, to get all those acceptances. You are an inspiration to all the budding writers out there, especially as you are also a teacher, so can only write part time.

Let's hope your novel gets accepted first time out, to put the cherry in the Martini.

Hugh

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1402 on: October 16, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Great news, Joe. You are obviously doing it right, to get all those acceptances. You are an inspiration to all the budding writers out there, especially as you are also a teacher, so can only write part time.

Let's hope your novel gets accepted first time out, to put the cherry in the Martini.

Hugh

Thanks, Hugh. I'd love to write full time, but for now I'm only dreaming of my own office. I don't really have
a writing space to call my own. The goal now is to keep those short stories out there, finish the novel and get an
agent. I'm not going to do all that stuff myself if I don't have to.  :) 

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #1403 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:28 AM »

Joe' success rate reminds me of the story about a musician who mention to a friend, a 'struggling' musician,  that he would be playing at The Albert Hall next week.

"You're lucky." Said his friend.

"True.  Tell you something else I've noticed.  The more I practice the luckier I get."

Gyppo

Very eloquently put and also very true. Joe works hard at his art and is getting it out there to the market. It isn't luck, it isn't about being in the right place at the right time, it's about being passionate, creative and productive.
Now you've managed to get me all fired up and I too have looked at my list of current submisions and it's not long enough. So, I'm going back to some stuff I've had rejected and will edit and improve them and get them out there!
One thing that does frustrate me is the length of time it takes to get a 'no' because if it's going to be 'no' I want to be able to do the rewrite sooner rather than later and get it back out there hopefully, this time, for an acceptance. But I guess that's all part of the process.

Congratulations Joe - you are an inspiration and you deserve it.
 ;D

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #1404 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
Congrats again, Joe!

My horror short story SEND HIM BACK has now been published in Strange, Weird & Wonderful Magazine's Fall Issue. Read it here: http://www.strangeweirdandwonderful.com/

;D ;D
Just read it Matt -loved it! But why did the dog have to die and it was  spaniel!  :(

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #1405 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:02 AM »
 :D I realised when I read it back that there's a dead dog in another of my short stories too - maybe it's my subconscious telling me that I don't like the two dogs we have at home! Glad you enjoyed it - I think I'd probably cut some of the profanity out if I was editing it again; it started to grate on me!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #1406 on: October 18, 2011, 07:18:57 AM »
:D I realised when I read it back that there's a dead dog in another of my short stories too - maybe it's my subconscious telling me that I don't like the two dogs we have at home! Glad you enjoyed it - I think I'd probably cut some of the profanity out if I was editing it again; it started to grate on me!

I didn't find the language a distraction at all - it wasn't gratuitous - I'd swear if I were in that position! with regard to the dogs, you're just gonna have to write a story where the dog is the hero now! ;D

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1407 on: October 18, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
Congratulations Joe - you are an inspiration and you deserve it.
 ;D

Thanks, Chrissie. Because the waiting time is often so long, I rather double check what type of stories that market likes, before I send
them the wrong stuff. And then I squeeze in another edit. Always be on the lookout for markets that accept simultaneous submission as well.
I actually find it easier to look for a market first and then write a suitable story for them. Doesn't always work, but it helps.

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #1408 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »

I actually find it easier to look for a market first and then write a suitable story for them. Doesn't always work, but it helps.
;D
I know that's the way you're supposed to do it but I find mostly that I get an idea, write it, and then look for the market. That's no doubt where I'm going wrong!

Offline Skip454

• The real me.
    • My personal home site, still under construction
« Reply #1409 on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
Gee, there is a market out there?

Kidding.

I tried it Joe's way. He can tell you from some challenges we do, my twisted stories seldom fit what mag's are looking for.  :D

Oh, Grats on that latest sale too.
Learn from others. Life is to short to make all the mistakes yourself.