Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 409480 times)

Offline Cyndith

• Back In Tyme
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #1125 on: May 27, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
Joe, you've set good goals and the confidence you have gained in puibilshing, as well as your Vita, will help greatly in the novel writing and pitching!

Gyppo, Did you have to buy a new camera or did they accept pics from an average digital camera?

Great news, guys!
cyndie ;D ;D ;D
--Cyndie

"Why do you do it in the first place? I mean you paint a picture, but you can't explain what it means because the audience is supposed to get it.  But then a judge comes along and says, 'I see this painting, but what you intended for me to see is not what I see; therefore, it isn't'"

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1126 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
Thanks, Gyppo. And congratulations on your article.

Knowing you, the editor was chuffed by the photos and the article.  :)

Joe, you've set good goals and the confidence you have gained in puibilshing, as well as your Vita, will help greatly in the novel writing and pitching!

Thanks, Cyndith.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #1127 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
Good one Gyppo ;)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1128 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
Gyppo, Did you have to buy a new camera or did they accept pics from an average digital camera?

Cyndie:  My camera only takes pictures up to 4 megapixels, but I take nearly all my pictures at the biggest possible size.

I only have a 1Meg memory card, but can take a lot of pictures before I need to swap it for my smaller backup card.  The last time I needed to do this was at an airshow, where I took literally hundreds of pictures.  I generally download onto the computer as soon as I get home, and then wipe the card,so rarely have to worry about it being full.

A quite basic camera will get good results if you 'get in close and fill the frame', or use zoom and have a steady hands or a tripod.  Up to a point it's more about finding the subject to film and having a good basic technique rather than a high spec camera.

But the biggest possible picture your camera can take is a good starting point.  Big pictures can be shrunk without loss of definition.  Smaller ones lose it when enlarged.

The editor concerned said pictures of less than 2 megapixels, would be too small when printed in his magazine.  Things which look brilliant on-screen don't always live up to the promise when printed.

I'm a keen but not professional photographer ;-)  My camera cost nearly £200 ( a useful redundancy money investment) several years ago, but ones of similar spec can be bought for £50 or less these days because newer ones make them seem limited.  Like my word processor it's a tried and trusted tool rather than a way of scoring bragging points ;-)

Gyppo  
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1129 on: May 27, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
Great stuff from Joe and John. In other news, today is the 91st consecutive day that I have written.. um, consecutively.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
It's a good habit to get into, Ollie.  What's the next target  figure, 191?
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1131 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
182, I'm trying to work in 13 week blocks (or quarters).

EDITIO: The 26th of August.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:18:23 PM by thatollie »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
That's a good rolling target.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1133 on: May 28, 2011, 03:45:46 AM »
In other news, today is the 91st consecutive day that I have written.. um, consecutively.

Well done. It's amazing how much writing improves if it's practised every day.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #1134 on: May 28, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
Well done. It's amazing how much writing improves if it's practised every day.

You're right, it's something I should have done years ago... among other things.

Offline James H. Albert

A Testimonial
« Reply #1135 on: June 08, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
In James Albertís exciting first novel, Temujinís Bow, a beautiful English archeologist who has been searching for dinosaur bones in Mongolia literally stumbles over the child-size bow that Genghis Khan had played with as a boy. It could be a clue to the fabulous treasure of the Great Conqueror, and the discovery prompts a desperate race between interests in America, China, and Russia to locate Khanís tomb. Temujinís Bow is fast-paced and full of twists, ultimately leading to a surprising conclusion worthy of the mysterious legend of Genghis Khan himself.

Gary E. Anderson, www.abciowa.com

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1136 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Sounds quite good. Congratulations.

Offline James H. Albert

« Reply #1137 on: June 08, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks Joe!

Offline Andre Farant

• I should be writing.
    • Andre Farant
« Reply #1138 on: June 13, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
Just had a piece published on WeirdYear, a flash fiction site.

You can read it here if the fancy strikes ya:

http://www.weirdyear.com/search/label/Andre%20Farant

Silt

« Reply #1139 on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
Well done, Andre. :)