Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 399625 times)

Offline MrFrankenstein

Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #1110 on: May 01, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »
Hi all

In terms of current successes, there's a Harvard-based literary magazine that has one of my novellas published online. Be warned, the story is a little...dark :)
http://www.the-utopian.org/post/3459062850/pigmans-fingers

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1111 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
Congratulations, Ian. Nicely done. Glad to see fellow South Africans in this industry.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline MrFrankenstein

« Reply #1112 on: May 01, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »
Howzit :)

Yeah, it became a lot easier to get going once I was in the US and could focus a bit on writing. That novella was my reaction to relocating, I think. You still SA based?

One of my ebooks is also in the Kindle top 100 charts - #74 I think:(The Depths of Deception)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/digital-text/157322011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_tr_kinc_1_7_last#4
But I did a 'proper' ad for that elsewhere here on forum.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1113 on: May 01, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
One of my ebooks is also in the Kindle top 100 charts - #74 I think:(The Depths of Deception)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/digital-text/157322011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_tr_kinc_1_7_last#4
But I did a 'proper' ad for that elsewhere here on forum.

Yeah, saw that one. Congrats.

Living in Bloemfontein.  :)
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline MrFrankenstein

« Reply #1114 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
re Bloem

awesome! I never managed to think globally enough when I was based in Joburg. Only got my head around doing the e-publishing once here and seeing everyone doing it.
ps. I'm jealous - although I make my own biltong - you have access to boerewors :)

But ja, nice to see another SA person also doing the writing thing and getting their work out. The SA market is so small its depressing at times...

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1115 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Sent you an invite on facebook so we can chat some more. Don't want to highjack the 'Your Successes' thread.  :)

Again, congratulations. Cover of the book looks really good.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1116 on: May 27, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
My extremely short flash fiction story, Love is Cruel, will be published by Weirdyear early in June.
Not a big publisher, but like I said, not a big story either.  ;D

Silt

« Reply #1117 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
Well done, Joe :)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #1118 on: May 27, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
Good for you Joe ;D Congrats. ;)

Offline Cyndith

• Back In Tyme
« Reply #1119 on: May 27, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Every publication is a success!  Thanks for sharing the great news!
--Cyndie

"Why do you do it in the first place? I mean you paint a picture, but you can't explain what it means because the audience is supposed to get it.  But then a judge comes along and says, 'I see this painting, but what you intended for me to see is not what I see; therefore, it isn't'"

cmb

« Reply #1120 on: May 27, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »
Congrats Joe.  :)

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1121 on: May 27, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
Thanks everyone. Still trying to reach my goal of breaking into a pro magazine this year.

Only three more short story publications and I'll break my other goal of getting 20 stories published
before the end of the year.

I think it's about time I start writing novels then.  :D

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #1122 on: May 27, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »
My extremely short flash fiction story, Love is Cruel, will be published by Weirdyear early in June.
Not a big publisher, but like I said, not a big story either.  ;D

Well done, Joe!  :D
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #1123 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Thanks, Amanda.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #1124 on: May 27, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
Nice work, Joe.  You're well on target.

On the non-fiction front...  I recently pitched an article idea to a cycling magazine.  A completely new market to me.  The Editor liked the idea but wanted 'good high res' pictures to go with it.  Without the pictures it would be a 'no go'.  He sent me a lovely detailed list of guidelines.  He asked to see sample pictures first before committing himself.

I took the pictures, sent them and waited,  and was asked to go ahead with the article.

I don't know which chuffed me the most, being asked for the article, or the fact that my 'shot to order' pictures obviously pressed the right buttons.  Probably the pictures ;-)

There was one comment in his guidelines which I want to share with you, which encapsulates the whole business of writing non-fiction for money.  Something we probably all instinctively understand, but can easily forget.

'Good journalism is simply a conversation by other means.'

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1