Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 398854 times)

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #825 on: November 17, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »
I'll see you in the pub tonight.  :D

(Shots only)  ;D
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #826 on: November 17, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »
Readers Digest is good.  They get a hell of a lot of submissions, so you must have done something right ;-)

Well done.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #827 on: November 17, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks, Gyppo.

Your lessons\articles helped me a lot.
Next I'll have to try my hand at a full length article.  :-\
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline saraknight

« Reply #828 on: November 22, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
 i just want to say thank you to all that helped me in the time i was doing my book.
Stiletto Diaries is now at barns and noble.
 with out some of you , I would not have made it.
so thank to all.
 sara Knight/ London Knight

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #829 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »
Congratulations, Sara.

Very well done.

Offline sideshunter

• bees make honey, why? earwigs don't make chutney
« Reply #830 on: November 28, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »
Just got a letter saying i am one of the chosen poets to have my poem on display for world aids awareness day. very pleased. Here is the funny bit: the awards are to be presented at the local theatre by..The Cheeky Girls! this is better than a knighthood!  ;D
The person dancing is deemed mad by everyone who can't hear the music.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #831 on: November 28, 2009, 07:00:24 AM »
Congratulations Side. Recognition is a wonderful feeling.  ;)
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Swampfox one

• Old Warriors don’t die; They play with cats
« Reply #832 on: January 17, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
In a conversion with Nick on a related topic. I told him about this and he suggested I post it here. I submitted a novella to an E-book publisher posting on ‘Writers Wanted’. It was accepted and I received a contract within days not weeks. This is my third E-book to be published and I thank people on MWC for all their help. Wolfe in particular. For those of you that do not know him, find him on the boards for he is worth a read.

Who knew all I needed were a female pin name and a dirty sultry mind.

twisted wheel

« Reply #833 on: January 17, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
Just got a letter saying i am one of the chosen poets to have my poem on display for world aids awareness day. very pleased. Here is the funny bit: the awards are to be presented at the local theatre by..The Cheeky Girls! this is better than a knighthood!  ;D
;D

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #834 on: January 17, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
Congratulations, Swampfox One.

That's great news.  :)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #835 on: January 18, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Onya Swampy.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Swampfox one

• Old Warriors don’t die; They play with cats
« Reply #836 on: January 18, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
Thanks Guys. ;D ;D

Offline Graham Sclater

• Graham Sclater
    • Tabitha Books
« Reply #837 on: February 20, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Hi

I'm pleased to tell "Sticky" that my third novel, an historical piece will be available in the UK and Europe next month.  "Hatred is the key" has taken me eight years to research and write. It was a long journey and a steep learning curve for me having not written anything historical before.

If you like to read this genre check out: http://www.tabithabooks.webs.com.

Good luck to you all.

Graham Sclater
England
Author and scriptwriter
Graham Sclater

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #838 on: February 20, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
I'm proud to announce that Epic Rites Press has just published my 19th book...DOING CARTWHEELS ON DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON.  124 pages of new poems.  Copies will begin shipping March 1st.  To order right now, go to:

epicrites.org
click on "bookstore:
and click on "advance orders" 
publisher will ship anywhere in the world.

Listed below is the first review of this book.  The review has been published in St. Vitus Press magazine and on the Outlaw Poetry website as well as on my publisher's site.
John Yamrus

JOHN YAMRUS:  THE DOOMSDAY MINIMALIST

Todd Moore

Doomsday, for John Yamrus, really isn’t about doomsday and yet, it is.  Yamrus’ doomsday isn’t the big one with all the fires and the quakes and the tsunamis and the wind.  Instead, his doomsday is all about the little apocalypses of life.  The day to day failures that mark us as mortal.  That make us all too human. Chronic neck and back pain, a neighbor dying of cancer, Eddie and his dog Bastard.  It’s about all the little annoying grievances of life that just keep coming at you day in and day out.

my car battery died

i was
waiting for
Triple A.

i thought
i’d kill some time
by writing a bit.

Nothing came
so, i
gave it up,
did the dishes,
played with
the dog and
waited,

thinking
it’s just like life,
isn’t it?

you do your
thing,

then
sit around
waiting
for the truck

to take you
away.

This is the kind of poem Yamrus is best known for.  Day to day ennui.  The typical angst that we all are so very well acquainted with.  His car doesn’t work, the poem he’s trying to write isn’t coming, and he’s just sitting there thinking about how this is the way it is.  Sitting around waiting for the truck to take you away.  Yamrus goes from the particular to the dreaded general idea of waiting to die.  He follows the advice of William Carlos Williams and does it in just twenty four matter of fact, stripped down lines.  The poem is not apocalyptic except that it is apocalyptic in spades.  This is what we all do while waiting for the truck to take us away.  Cavafy’s Romans were waiting for the barbarians.  Yamrus is just simply waiting for his car to be towed away.  Yet, in the process he achieves so much more. 

A poem like “my car battery died,” reveal John Yamrus’ talent for working the minimalist line.  His poems don’t have an extra ounce of fat on them.  And, they sound remarkably like the kind of story you might hear in a barber shop, a bar, on a bus, in a laundromat, at the filling station.  You can open a collection of Yamrus’ poems anywhere and find him talking.  And, if you shut your eyes you can almost hear his laconic voice going.  He might be telling you about the way his dog shakes the rain off its fur, he might talking about the weather, he might be mentioning his publisher.  But, whatever he is talking about he is always intimately talking about himself.  And, on the surface the talk usually seems to be about everyday things, but if you read him for very long, you realize that these everyday things are Yamrus’ code for revealing certain private things about himself.

this morning

i was
nearly killed

by a
car

speeding through
the parking lot
at the
liquor store.

how

perfectly

fitting.

If my guess is right, John Yamrus talks the way he writes.  Because these are talk poems.  Because they really are the poems of a master storyteller.  Imagine that you are standing in the line at the supermarket and the guy ahead of you is telling the check out clerk how he nearly got run over in a liquor store parking lot.  This poem is all too likely the way someone would tell about this kind of incident.  And, notice how the poem begins.  “this morning.”  It’s just as simple as that.  And, those are all the words needed to suck you right into the narrative.

Then, Yamrus really hooks you with “i was/nearly killed.”  Wham, you are in his world now and he holds you there by saying, “by a/car.”  Suddenly, Yamrus is everyman because unless having been living in a closet all of your life, you also have been nearly hit by a car somewhere.  The action of the poem only takes four lines.

speeding through
the parking lot
at the
liquor store.

Now Yamrus needs a finish.  Most poets would have the narrator flip off the guy in the car.  But, not Yamrus.  Instead, he lets the poem end with a kind of stoic resignation laced with some irony.

how

perfectly

fitting.

I could easily quote more poems from DOING CARTWHEELS ON DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON but it really isn’t necessary.  Yamrus is a master of the minimalist poem and the understated wise crack.   His line which is also his sentence is pared to the bone.  And, the timing and the voice are absolutely natural and perfect.  Nobody does it better.

Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #839 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:25 AM »
Congrats, John.  :)

My story 'Michael', which is a more intense and improved version of 'Home for the Holidays', which you might've
seen in our Xmas anthology, has been published as a 'Horror short story of the week'. Please check it out.
It has some great artwork and photo's of my home country.

http://ghastlydoor.com/horror-short-story-of-the-week/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:46:26 AM by Joe Mynhardt »