Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 378749 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2007, 07:24:05 AM »

Well, they read them in reverse order, so I was over joyed when I got third prize for one of my stories!

AND THEN

I got 1st prize for the other!

It was printed, in a local mag, so I suppose that counts too!  And there was a cash prize too!

I have been terrified to try again in case I get disappointed! lol

Sue,

Two prizes in one competition is quite something.  I still remember the sense of achievement - many years ago - the only time I had two articles published in the same issue of a shooting magazine.  I was happy as a Sandboy with the first one and it was another family member who spotted the second one.  (Twice as much money that month too!)

Sue, you reallly should try again.  The wonderful thing about competitions is they don't publish a list of losers...  The only way people know you didn't win is if you tell them.

So it's a bit of Win-Win situation ;-)  If you win the whole world and his dog will know (although some dogs- and cats -  are noticeably unimpressed).  If otherwise you can lick your wounds in private.

Go for it!

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline dragonsue

• On the edge of realising my potential
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
Thanks Nadine.

Allie, I really do find writing a short story harder than writing my book, I like to ramble you see, and short stories don't let you have the space for that.  Even in my home my things seem to spread out like a disease taking over the place lol.  Suppose I could practice with some flash fiction  ???

Gyppo I took the short story success as a sign to try and get my book 'out there', but that hasn't been too well received.  :(  So maybe I should try some more short story comps. ;)
Be nice to dragons, 'cos you are crunchy and nice to eat.

Sandy

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:14 AM »
Well done to everyone! What a talented lot we are ;D

I've just found out that I've been placed in the list of top writers on Googobits.com. This site has had several different names since starting out including 'Fine Tuning'. I did them an article about two years ago on Feng Shui. I received the small sum of $30 (about 16) but the reason I did this was to promote my website and get my name known on the net. Now, two years later, Fine Tuning is Googobits and I see the article has received well over a 1000 hits so consequently I'm on the top writers list.

If you're interested in Feng Shui or want to take a look at Googobits go to:

http://www.googobits.com/writers/scarlet.html

Sadly, I don't think they pay as much as $30 now.

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2007, 07:43:30 AM »
Well done Scarlet and everyone in fact who has posted on here.

Will go and check out that site, and see if there is anything I can post on there are the same time. Whatever they are paying would come in very handy right now !

June   
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Sandy

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 09:25:19 AM »
Thanks Talisman, it will be interesting to find out what you think.

Offline Kipton

• Kip Kids of New York
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
Nadine has encouraged me to share the success of my new children's book with you.
My children's book, Ned Visits New York came out in Dec. 2006. I printed 2000 books for the first printing.
Christmas time I sold over 1200 books!!
The book has gotten an amazing response!!! In April I did a second printing of 3000 books.
The secret of my success with the book has been being able to sell it myself.  I live in New York City,
What better book to sell than a book about New York!!
I sell my book to locals and tourist at craft shows, street fairs, and holiday markets.
Self publishing has been the best way for me.  I have made more money from the book through self publishing then
I would have made through a publisher.
Plus I am having fun with the book.  I did a book reading/signing at Murray's Cheese. (One of the pages in the book)
They had a grape juice and cheese tasting for the kids along with my reading my book!!
Take care,
Kip
www.KipKids.com

Offline Allie

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2007, 06:07:59 PM »
That is wonderful and heartening news of self-publishing, Kipton. I am in the process of doing so myself, and if I could have one-fifth your success it would be wonderful. Have any of the mainstream publishers tried to muscle in on your success? :)

Offline Kipton

• Kip Kids of New York
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »
Allie,
Thanks,
I have not had any of the mainstream publisher try and muscle in on my success.
I honestly have to say if a mainstream publisher wanted to print my book, I would have to say no to them.
I can make more money selling my book than I ever will with a publishing house. I know my book is no Dr. Seuss book and would most likely live for 6 months to a year with a publisher.
By self publishing I have 100% control of my book. My book can live for the next 5, 10 or 15 years. As long as babies are being born, and people keep coming to New York. My book can live a very long and profitable life.
What I would like to do is approach a publisher and show them I am able to do a book from start to finish.
Then start fresh with a new book that could be through a publisher. That way I have my cake and I get to eat it too!!
I have my self published book, and a book with a publisher.
Allie, I wish you success with your book. If I can help in anyway, please let me know!!
Thanks,
Kip
www.KipKids.com

Nadine L

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Hey Kip...

"Ned" is a great book. I love it. I think it is incredibly brilliant that you give the kids stickers and have the characters on shirts and such.

Thanks for taking the time to come back and tell your story.

(Everyone, you can see Kip's art on his website and get an idea of the look inside his book.)

Nadine
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:33:41 PM by Nadine L »

Nadine L

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 08:14:58 PM »
June is at it again. She was mentioned in the Grumpy Old Bookman's Blog today, Friday. Michael Allen blogs all things literary. The Guardian gave him a mention...or two.

http://grumpyoldbookman.blogspot.com/2007/05/news-of-sort.html

(Did you see this, June?)

Nadine
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:26:05 PM by Nadine L »

Offline Kipton

• Kip Kids of New York
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »
Hey Nadine,
Thanks for your comments!!
When I grow up I want to be 5 star hero like you!!
Right now I am just a one star newbie!! :)
Kip

Offline thatollie

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:59 PM »
Successfully self-published, here take my stars. You deserve them more.  :D
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Kipton

• Kip Kids of New York
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007, 08:29:29 PM »
Thatollie,
Thanks for the offer, but I am sure you deserve them just as much!!
Thanks,
Kip

Nadine L

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
That, don't be so easy to give Kip your stars. Make him come visit us more often.

Kip, I'll trade stars for a t-shirt. Seriously, after your post, I had to pull out my copy of Ned and read it out loud to my husband who is trying to re-read Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions at the same time. Yes, it is another wild Friday night in Phoenix.

Nadine

PS: Kip, did you see children's authors now have a space of their own on my website? http://nadinelamanbooks.com/featured_authors.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:41:05 PM by Nadine L »

Nadine L

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2007, 09:03:06 PM »
Allie,

It is only a matter of time before you're telling us about your book successes.

Nadine