Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 492777 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2007, 10:14:06 PM »
Hi, Folks.

I'm feeling rather chuffed...

I think this counts as a success - although the millions have yet to roll in ;-)

I've managed to overcome my sometimes almost paralysing techno-fear of many aspects of the web and succeeded in getting two downloadable e-books books up for sale on Lulu at www.lulu.com

The first one 'A Hamper Of Havoc' was already available on my own website, but is now on Lulu as well.  It describes the fun and frolics, and accidents, during my years working as a medieval showman, Baron Sable.  There is a sizeable free preview to whet your appetites.  Lulu ID: 1026615

The second and smaller one is called British Bike Bodgers Booklet and is aimed at a niche market, those who have owned or still own Old British Motorcycles, or want to feel nostalgic about them.  A mix of roadside repair tips (90+) and three amusing incidents involving 'Rosie' - my much modified and well thrashed 1958 BSA Road Rocket - a mighty machine which clocked up 50,000 miles per year before our ways sadly parted.

It may well amuse and horrify younger riders who have only ever owned carefully cossetted and dealer-serviced modern machines.  Once again there is a free preview.  Lulu ID: 1023246

Now I've cracked the system I shall use Lulu again.  Some things are a bit slow to load with W98 and a 56K modem, but it all got there eventually.

Yes...  Definitely chuffed!  And tired ;-)

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Nadine L

« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2007, 12:57:28 AM »
Gyppo!

Congratulations. Two books and all with a 56k modem. You are amazing!

Nadine

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2007, 04:48:46 AM »
Thanks, Nadine.

Not amazing, just determined ;-)  Mind you, some colourful language may have emerged when I lost  the connection a couple of times.  But, really, it's only a matter of several minutes rather than blistering broadband nano-seconds.  Time to walk away from the keyboard for a while, put the kettle on, nip outside and trim a bit of hedge, or just stand on the step amazed that the world outside is still there ;-)

I think the thing I'm most pleased about is getting to grips with a new bit of technology (Lulu).  There are some corners of the web where I recoil in almost superstitious dread because I can't really understand how it works, or what should be happening.  (I must be an idiot, because 'idiot-proofing' and over-helpful 'hand holding' features often confuse me.)

But we got there, and now my mental map which warned 'Here be Draggones' has been redrawn.

Right... Gyppo is now 'girding his loins' prior to writing press releases for the editors of various motorcycle magazines.  Getting the Bike Book out there and available was one thing, now I need to let other people know where it is.  More dragons to slay...

Gyppo
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:58:56 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Allie

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2007, 05:04:37 AM »
Well done, Gyppo. I thoroughly enjoyed A Hamper of Havoc when I bought it from your own site, and I'm sure it will do well on Lulu. The other one should go very well, too, even though you say it's for a niche market. It seems to me that more people love motorcycles now than ever. :)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the unsolicited 'plug', Allie.

Working on The Flyng Ferret now, but the manic energy burst has worn off a little.  It'll soon be out there with the others though.  I've decided to change a few names to protect the not-so-innocent and their offspring.  Three cheers for Find & Replace.

Gyppo

Offline Allie

« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2007, 04:11:40 AM »
Well, I've told you what I think, that Hamper of Havoc is the perfect basis for a caper bestseller. :)

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2007, 07:28:12 AM »
Yay, minor success!

My article on 6,000 missing women has been featured in the Northern Leadership Academy.

http://www.northernleadershipacademy.co.uk/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=504&PageID=1611&mode=2

Although it's under my secretary's name!  Bother....

Still, I'm the one what wrote it, so I'm claiming it as my first opportunity to put a success on this board!!!

Carrie

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Good for you ! How come its under the secretary's name though ?

For my part I have been very busy this week. Another writer friend of mine told about this brilliant website that lists all the local authorities in the country, so have contacted every single one of them this week to try and persuade them to order copies of my book for their libraries - knowing that public lending rights can provide a useful long term source of income, which although not a fortune, does bring the book to a wider audience. So far 2 of them have ordered copies - Westminster no less and also my local one here in Surrey, which is brilliant news. Several others are interested, including Hammersmith, Kensington and Hounslow in London, and outside London, Dorset, Hartlepool, Birmingham, Lincolnshire and Suffolk, and that's just the beginning.

I have also been busy ringing various branches of Borders, since the book is one of their listed items. I spoke to the manager at Wimbledon, who has just ordered some copies, and Brighton and Staines look as if they might do the same !!

All in all then it has been a very good week.

June

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:36:13 PM by Talisman »
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Nadine L

« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »
Carrie,

Brilliant article. The training sounds great. Sign me up, oh wait! I don't have a passport. Seriously, the development training sounds like a great idea. Congratulations on the article.

I heard rumor there was another of your projects in the works. Gonna share your news with everyone?

Nadine

Nadine L

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:21 AM »
June,

As always, I'm delighted to hear of your success with your book. I know what you've accomplished has taken a lot more work than most can imagine.

Continued success to you...I'm still reading...really like the new version.

Nadine

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2007, 03:17:03 AM »
Great news June - hard work pays off.

My secretary has the sign on to the website, hence why her name is on there.

Re other projects - keep yer mouth firmly zipped Nadine - I'm not gonna cry wolf.

;D

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2007, 07:51:31 AM »
The hard work continues this morning - spent most of last night setting up a database of every single Waterstones branch in the country - over 300 of them - divided into London ones, local ones, universities and the rest of the country (including Northern Ireland and Isle of Man). This morning then have emailed every single one except the unversities. Will start on them once I have contacted universities directly, with THAT review stating that the book is ideal for students of social sciences.

My publisher is going to wonder what is going on when he sees my sales figures for the next couple of months !!!

June 
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline thatollie

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2007, 09:18:16 AM »
My publisher is going to wonder what is going on when he sees my sales figures for the next couple of months !!!
I'm sure He/She will be pleasantly surprised.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
I certainly hope so !!   :o

www.juneaustin.co.uk

Nadine L

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2007, 01:59:19 AM »
Yes Ma'am, Carrie...seriously if you don't want your news in my August newsletter, better email me immediately. I've put it to bed and am ready to send it to my web person, but for you...I'll pull the item.   ;D

Nadine