Author Topic: Sticky: Your Successes  (Read 495644 times)

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
Re: Sticky: Your Successes
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2007, 03:51:45 AM »
Congtratulations Cathy - brilliant news. I have another review as well this week, in Paradigm Shift magazine, written by the lovely Paramour. I am sure she won't mind me mentioning this. She has I think done a very good job, and I hope it brings in some more sales ! I only got my copy yesterday, so will be watching to see over the next few weeks. Following that Nexus review, there has been a definite upturn in Australians visiting my site .... The North American edition of Nexus is a month behind the other ones, being July/August instead of June/July.

June   
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2007, 05:53:32 AM »

But more than that... to actually have someone, (other than my family and friends) tell me that they liked my work, well... at the moment I’m floating about six feet off the ground. ;D  ;D  ;D

Yes...!  That knowledge that 'outsiders' enjoyed it as well is pretty heady stuff ;-)

Well done.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Drow

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2007, 07:26:44 AM »
On 07/07/2007 Written Words wrote:

Dear Edward Dudart,

We would like to inform you that we would like to accept your submitted material, "Reject, please," for publication in a future edition of The Written Word online magazine. If the material is still available.

We will let you know when your submission will appear. That should be within the next couple of weeks.

The only downside is that WW is not a paying market.

Edward.

Nadine L

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2007, 08:10:33 AM »
Congratulations to everyone for your good news.

It is the payoff of your efforts to go beyond family and friends and have your writing appreciated by total strangers. Just shows you how smart your family and friends are.  ;D While a paying market is very nice, and will come, any venue that puts your writing into the hands of readers is a good market. Enjoy the comments and praise. I'm happy for you.

Nadine

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2007, 08:54:34 AM »
It's a fact of life that 'feel-good' is contagious and inspirational amongst like-minded individuals.  I would not be at all surprised to see several more success stories here in the next few weeks.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Nadine L

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »
I frequently mention my friend, Jenna Grace (MWC), as an example of a debut author with a big NY publisher. Just to prove she is a real person, she gave me permission to post this photo. She walked into her local Boarder's bookstore and found her book on the shelf ~ a few weeks before it was slated to arrive. Imagine her surprise!

This week, she returned from BEA and is busy with her book launch party details. So, on her behalf, here's the scoop:

Her real name is Jeannine Garsee. Jen writes YA titles. She doesn't sugarcoat the inner city setting, so be sure to read it before giving the book to an immature early teen.

Title: BEFORE, AFTER and Somebody in BETWEEN, Bloomsbury USA

Book launch party is open to the public: Book Launch Party June 26th at 7PM at Strongsville, Ohio, Borders Bookstore. Jen’s blog http://onegrapeshy.livejournal.com
www.jeanninegarsee.com

Nadine

Offline JenaGrace

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Thank you, Nadine!

(I haven't been here for so long, I had to re-register!!!)

Nadine L

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Jen,

That serves you right. Now that you're a big shot, are you still going to answer my email and phone calls?

As soon as you catch your breath from BEA, come share your wisdom with us.  ;)

Nadine

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2007, 04:47:30 PM »
Here's what new writers circle member John Timbers wrote about my book after finishing it a few days ago. John also published with Authors OnLine and has two books - neither of which I have as yet read, but he is one of six of Richards author who have clubbed together to do hopefully some joint marketing. The first stage is reviewing each others books. Here then is what he wrote:   

Genesis of Man By June Austin, published in paperback by Authors on Line Ltd on behalf of Pigsty Press: ISBN 0-7552-0236-8.      Reviewed by John Timbers

“Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority, or if it is said to come from angels, or from gods, or from an inspired source. Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind…”

This quotation from the sayings of Gautama Buddha, is to be found in the introductory pages of June Austin’s masterly work and should be borne in mind throughout its 248 pages from the prologue to the end.

June has undertaken the mammoth task of checking out many of the theories of the development of mankind and religious beliefs that have been circulating amongst interested intellectuals since time out of mind and which, in the last twenty or so years, have brought about a veritable rash of books claiming definitive proof of this that or the other theory, usually – but not always – linked to conspiracy theories about suppression of facts by – particularly – established religion.

In “Genesis of Man” she has brought together her well-researched findings in one compact and fascinating book. It took her five years of painstaking reading and detective work to get it all down on paper and, I suspect, a much longer journey of self-exploration before taking the leap into print.
She has not been afraid to question many of the theories backed by authorities such as established religions, egyptology, archaeology, biology and geology. Her reasoning from facts that have come to light recently from many sources – all meticulously noted – is hard to fault, unless one comes from that well-known school of debate that maintains that sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting ever louder wins the day.

June advances the ‘teachings’ of what she would call ‘channeled sources’, meaning the explanations produced by people who claim contact with the spirits of those who have gone before – spiritualists, psychics and ‘walk-ins’. She herself lightly mocks her own beliefs, admitting that many will reject them as ‘lunatic fringe’. Each to his own.

I cannot claim any spiritual experience that would convince me that reincarnations of gods or angels are channeling true versions of our hitherto unknown prehistory to us. Nor am I able to put much credence into conspiracy theories concerning suppression of ‘facts’ about such events as the reported ‘Roswell’ UFO crash and other similar phenomena, however good the story – I write as an ardent Sci-Fi buff, who never misses a new TV series or book that features space travel and alien contacts – fairy stories for adults; pure light relief!

I do not dismiss out of hand theories that the development of homo sapiens sapiens could have been due to interference by extra-terrestrials. Myth and legend – amongst peoples who could never have had any contact – has survived from many thousands of years before written records ever came into being. They cannot simply be dismissed as fairy tales, when common themes are too many to be written off as pure coincidence.

In this book you will explore theories of the nature of the gods, the existence and origins of a super-race pre-dating the Sumerians and how they could have influenced the races of mankind in different parts of the world, giving them the knowledge necessary for survival – agriculture, astronomical mathematics and mutual dependence – in perilous times. You will meet characters of whom you have never heard before. You will explore the facts behind Dan Brown’s fictional treatment of the Knights Templar, the Merovingian blood-line of the French kings, the Sang Réal and the Holy Grail  – “The Da Vinci Code”.

You may take some of June’s ‘facts’ with a pinch of salt, but you won’t put her book down without being touched by her gentle exposition of how we are supposed to interpret the teachings that have come down to us from the ‘true prophets’. Whether you follow the tenets of established religion or none, you will find in this book something that will give you pause for thought.

Thanks John ! It will be going up on amazon (co.uk and .com) soon.

June   
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline JenaGrace

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
Jen,

Now that you're a big shot, are you still going to answer my email and phone calls?

Nadine

Not THAT big, lol. But of course I will.

Nadine L

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »
June...

That is a great review. Did your pub encourage his authors to band together or is that something you guys did? Either way, it is a great idea.

Nadine

(HI, Jen...I'm reassured now.)

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2007, 03:27:09 AM »
No Richard did not particularly encourage it, although when Sue had the idea she posted it on the authors area to try and get some interest. I was one of just five who answered, since she lives not that far from me. We all live mainly around Kent/Surrey borders, although one of us lives in Yorkshire. Just writing these reviews though will be a help - although there are other ideas in the pipeline - book/craft fairs etc and even a joint website (Nothing Binding type thing) was discussed. Personally I think this is a bit ambititious though - especially as I hear that Richard (owner anmd editor of Authors OnLine) is planning to expand his own site. Having worked on forums before, with all the different personalities, it can and frequently does lead to problems and politics, so I am a bit wary, plus the cost and time and effort involved could be huge. I love that review though !

June       
www.juneaustin.co.uk

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »
Wow - its wonderful to see members doing so well.  Cathy - delighted for you!  (Eason's watch out - here she comes with her vouchers!).  June - brill and Jenna - I've heard so much about you, it's great to see the 'end result' here.

Drow - fab! The quality of the work is what counts, and - alas - the money comes second I guess.

*sigh* if only I could get off my fat *ss and do some writing!!

Well done all.

Carrie

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2007, 04:25:51 AM »
You will Carrie - but you are a pretty good singer from what I hear and succesful at that - so why not tell us about that - I know this is a writing site, but it doesn't have to be confined to writing successes does it ?

June   
www.juneaustin.co.uk

Nadine L

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:23 AM »
Carrie,

Writing music and performing weekly is more than I do. Your songs are fantastic. I enjoy your music My Space and your blog about your gigs. And, I have heard you/your music on WritersFM. Pretty impressive stuff. Congrats.

Nadine