Author Topic: Imagination Tickler -2  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Imagination Tickler -2
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 03:19:22 PM »
You poor old thing ;-)

Casual use of the word ancient depends on your viewpoint.  To a six year old anyone over eighteen probably seems as old as Methusaleh ;-)  I myself count as ancient if we are setting fifty as our (excuse the pun) benchmark.  However, you set me wondering and I looked in my dictionary.  Apart from the general concept of very old there is, I'm delighted to discover, an official turning point at which things become ancient.  None of us writing or living today can truly qualify, unless there is an immortal or two amongst the readership; and even that wouldn't surprise me amongst our lot ;-)

Ancient'Of the far past, especially before the collapse of the Western Roman Empire (476 AD).

That's one of the joys - and pitfalls - of being a writer.  We need very little excuse to start digging into research, and then, one thing leading to another, we find half an hour or more has slipped by.  But what the hell, I've learned something new ;-)

Incidentally the bench may be Victorian.  The lake is the largest of three which were dug out and linked by man-made streams in the gardens of a long-gone Victorian 'Big House'.  I suspect the landowners would have gone for something more formal, but perhaps they had a fancy for the 'rustic' look.

When Dad took me fishing there the two smaller and lower lakes had long since been silted up and buried under new growth and were known simply as stinking boggy areas.  Fifteen years or more ago they were cleared and dug out again, using heavy horses to haul many of the logs as tractors etc weren't much use in the muck and tangled trees.  The lower lakes are now slowly 'stabilising' themselves but I have no idea what the final plans are.

(A bit like the 'Lost Gardens of Heligan' but much smaller.)

Gyppo 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline redmeat73

• Luke and Lilly - my little sausages.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
This might sound a little on the tenuous side but how about the bench panel being part of an old door. The kind that in the ‘darker ages’ would have been used to force confessions from suspected witches.

Matt..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
There's the makings of a short story there ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline redmeat73

• Luke and Lilly - my little sausages.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »
I'd put pen to paper but i an't read the bloody paper without getting new ideas for short stories, books etc...handy but i'm not ready to write anything worth reading.

Matt..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...