Author Topic: Boy! am I dumb today  (Read 18310 times)

Offline DC

Re: Boy! am I dumb today
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »
Oh dear, I think I'm going to do something really dumb. Not today, I've got to go to work now. Though I suppose that could count. But no, this will be really really really dumb. I can't say what, but it's connected to the dumbest thing I've done in my life so far, seventeen years ago. Totally and utterly stupid, But I have to do it. 

Dave.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Lina

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
Another dumb thing I did: I once took an empty CD case on holiday.  There's a lot more where that came from.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »
Lina'

That was a very kind and noble thing to do. Not many people appreciate just how low a CD case's self esteem can sink whilst it is empty.  Did you buy it an ice-cream?

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Lina

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 07:11:32 PM »
No. It didn't deserve it as it should not have been separated from its CD. It didn't deserve a holiday either.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 07:34:58 PM »
But CDs are notorious wanderers.  It's the discs which desert the cases, not not vice-versa.  Particularly if drink is involved.  All recordable media is like this with the one notable exception of computer hard drives, and the only reason they don't migrate between computer cases is that they are generally screwed firmly in place.  When a hard drive 'barbecues' itself it's because it's been consumed by the red heat of thwarted wanderlust.

I have had discs and old vinyl records move to houses in other counties ;-)

Look at the evidence...  Even blank CDs - especially if bought in bulk - are securely trapped on a 'spindle'.

Coincidence?  I think not.

The question now?  Am I being dumb writing this?  Or have I answered one of the great mysteries of the universe?

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Lina

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
I don't know but I want to know why socks are such wanderers when you put them in the wash. They seem to just erase themselves from existence.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2007, 08:19:46 PM »
Terry Pratchett claims there is a mysterious being/entity called 'Eater of Socks' who lives in all washing machines.  He may be right.

On the other hand I did appliance repair for a short while and it is amazing what can sometimes find its way through into the filter or even the waste pipe.  Stuff which the laws of physics (as we know them) would tell you was impossible.  Never found a sock in a filter though ;-)  Coins, safety pins, bra wires, bits of a broken ballpoint pen, a well mulched bit of paper which was probably once a banknote, and various anonymous objects which really didn't encourage close examination.

Gyppo

Offline Lina

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »
One of life's great mysteries. There could very well be an 'Eater of Socks.'

Offline DC

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 03:15:00 AM »
;D Ref my above post, cancel it. It would certainly be dumb, but also possibly very cruel. Not going there!

Dave.
a ride!"

Offline DC

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2007, 03:18:56 AM »
Gyppo, isn't there some kind of 'space' that connects all washing machines, in which the Eater of Socks wanders? I think it's similar to 'L' space that connects all Libraries, and in which it would be very dumb to use the 'M' word.

Dave.
a ride!"

Offline charlie

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2007, 03:50:05 AM »
If there is an eater of socks it must live near the pump or at least enter the washing machine via the pump because when my washing machine broke that is where the repair man found one of my new born sons tiny little socks preventing the pump from being able to turn.

Charlie. x

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2007, 03:53:55 AM »
Ah, Dave.  That's it! Just like 'L' space.  Late at night the details eluded me.  I was probably in a chrono-dimensional loop of my own at the time.

Gyppo

Offline thatollie

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »
Just going back to the original post about Ellie & Allie, we now also have an Elle.
I was surprised to see a member I've known awhile posting an intro message.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Christopher Silva

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »
Didn't they name a old jeep after the guy who started this thread ? ?

chris

Offline thatollie

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »
They may or may not have, maybe neither.
Never make a decision standing up.