Author Topic: Question about eLance  (Read 1199 times)

Offline creativegenius

Question about eLance
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:22:19 AM »
Hi all,

i searched for this topic, but of course, typing in 'elance' into the search function bought up every post with the word 'freelance' in it so I couldn't wade through them all.  ;D

I've recently been perusing Elance. Someone suggested it might be a good way of finding writing work. I'm horrified to see many ads for articles of around 500 words from people willing to pay $2 an article.

Can someone explain to me whether this is a kind of 'try before you by' idea with the hope of leading to better paid work in the future, whether writers are seriously willing to sell their expertise for that rate or whether the buyer is just exploiting the market.

Or have I missed the point completely?

I value my work and my time and to be honest, for a magazine article of that length, I expect at least 75 - 100. Slightly less for an internet article.

Are people here prepared to work for that sort of money?

Thanks so much for your insight,

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: Question about eLance
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 07:58:31 AM »
I don't know anything about eLance, but if you do a search using quote marks, you'll get much more specific results:  http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22elance%22&meta=
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Question about eLance
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:03:19 AM »
I think creativegenius was talking about using the search function on MWC. It does leave a bit to be desired, I agree!

My own view is that job auction sites such as Elance.com work against the interests of people who want to earn a decent income from writing. In particular, it is hard for those of us living in high wage (and high cost) economies such as the US or UK to compete with writers in countries such as India, where the cost of living is lower and a few dollars buys a lot more.

I don't therefore seek work on these sites myself, although I know some people who do. As you say, it can sometimes provide a route into better paid work, though this is not guaranteed. A useful e-book for anyone interested in this field is The Online Writing Wealth System by Christina McDonald, which I have reviewed on my blog at the URL below. Christina talks at some length about getting work from job auction sites such as Elance and Guru.

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2007/02/review-online-writing-wealth-system.html

Hope this helps!

Nick  :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:57:30 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.