Author Topic: Novel or Short Story? - Help!  (Read 2063 times)

Offline J. Oakley

• "Never give up." - Johnny Cash
Novel or Short Story? - Help!
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
Hello MWC, I'm curious as to should I write a short story or a novel? I enjoy short stories more but the problem is I don't know where to submit them. If you could post me some sites for fiction or fantasy so i could submit some short stories to, that'd be great(I'm 14). The reason I was thinking of just continuing short stories is because novels would be a waste of time at my age wouldn't it? If I could spend my time writing stories I could actually get published, I mean I'm only 14. If any of you could post me some suggestions, tips or comments I'd greatly appreciate it.

J. Oakley
"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you."
Tom Bradley

Offline thatollie

Re: Novel or Short Story? - Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:38:55 AM »
You know, I think I've learnt the most from writing a novel and that's what a young author should focus on, learning. Why not do both?
Check out http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx for places to submit.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline HeidiC

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
No writing is ever a waste and the discipline and techniques you will learn from tackling a novel will hold you in good stead for what ever writing you do in the future. Be warned though! It is really hard work and not for the faint-hearted. The best advice I can give is if you want to write a novel give it a go but don't worry too much about what you get down on paper, it can take numerous drafts to get to something publishable.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »
You may not even want to publish it. I'm unsure about mine.

Offline Smurf

• The Fiction of A Bruce Stewart
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 06:18:10 AM »
Taking my comments with a pinch of salt as Iím just beginning my writing experience as well, Iíd agree that any kind of writing is good experience.

Iíve tried both novels and shorts, and Iíve found shorts keep my attention better because I can rattle them off quicker Ė although they need as careful attention to editing and redrafting as a novel Ė and give a good sense of achievement when youíve completed them. Concentrating on them has rapidly given me an ever-growing body of work I can submit which gives me a kick when something good happens with one of them.

I believe shorts take a different kind of writing to novels, so if you want to write novels, youíll need to practise that skill as well. Both are good fun though.

As regards writing a novel at your age, I believe there are many successful writers who started early, Christopher Paolini of Eragon fame being not the least.

I write Science Fiction myself, and several of the magazines I submit to publish Fantasy as well. If you want to drop me an email, I can pass on the addresses Iíve got if thatís any use?

Cheers,

Smurf
"My ancestors would spit on me if I broke bread with a Crow."
"So would mine. But f**k 'em, they're dead."
-----------------------------------------------------------
If you've time, my science fiction can be found at:
http://abrucestewart.uk/anthology/

Offline thatollie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:47:32 PM »
As long as you're enjoying what you write, it'll happen for you.

Jeremy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 08:01:06 PM »
Short stories. Poetry will be good for expansion and word selection, even in prose.

Don't attempt a "novel." You won't succeed if you're to just write a novel.

Write and see where it goes. Don't have one single idea that should be a short or a wet dream and turn it into the idea, "I'm going to write my novel now."

Pay no heed to your age. Bragging is not a pleasure that lasts.

Offline J. Oakley

• "Never give up." - Johnny Cash
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »
You guys have been great help I'd like to thank you all: Jeremy, Thatollie, Smurf and Heidi. You guys are great. Thanks!
"The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you."
Tom Bradley