Author Topic: The Title sells the book right?  (Read 5387 times)

Zoe

The Title sells the book right?
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

can some one out there please give me some feedback or opinion?

I am working on the finishing touches on a Faith-based Non-Fiction Self Improvement book and  I am stuck  considering some Titles,

A   7 Success Strategies: How To Set And Achieve Your Goals

B   7 Steps To Success: How To Achieve Your Goals

C   How To Set And Achieve Your Goals: 7  Steps To Success

D   How To Achieve Your Goals: Discover The 7 Secret Steps To Success

I asked some friends and heard that the word SET in a title is irrelevant, people just want the short-cut to ACHIEVE. Who agrees?

Others said Strategy sounds militant!

OK how about;
How To Achieve Your Goals: 7 Keys To a Successful Life

Any alternative suggestions? What  kind of Title for the above book would draw you magically to the shelve and on autopilot get you to the cashier? :D

I am aware there are so many like-themed books competeing with mine and the Title is my hook right?

All responses will be rewarded with  a hearty  :D

Zoe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:31:42 PM by Zoe »

Offline chillies

Re: The Title sells the book right?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
Hi Zoe, It might be better like this:

SEVEN STEPS TO SUCCESS

Set your goals and achieve them

You need a strong title. Inform them that they can't survive without your book. Sell yourself. Also if these seven steps to success are not commonly known You could call it:

SEVEN SECRET STEPS TO SUCCESS
Set your goals and achieve them

On second thoughts that might be too many S's

Good luck with your book

chillies

Offline SweetRosalyn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »
Either of the first two are good.  I don't like '7 success steps' - doesn't sound right to me.

The first one is my favourite. 
Please enter Poetry Challenge #142 by midnight GMT Tuesday 13th September
Theme: stark. Must be 20 lines or less and use at least two senses (taste, touch, smell, etc.) Thanks :3

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:55:11 PM »
SweetRosalyn,

thanks, note taken, you are right, success steps does sound unfinished.
Interesting how another set of eyeballs does see things differently...
Going to chuck that right now.

Zoe

Zoe

The Title sells the book right?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Ok, we are  a writingcircle right?

I noticed 30 people so far have viewed my Title question, but; only 2 replied, where are the other 28 pairs of eyeballs with  :-X ?

Just give your gut opinion - shouldnt take you more than 1 minute.
I have made it easier by putting A,B,C,D, E next to the titles.

Poll your favourite with a simple Alphabet letter. I know you are all busy writing your books ;)

Thanks for your help.

Zoe
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:23:34 PM by Zoe »

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
Zoe,

I am afraid that I struggle with all of these suggestions.  The use of "7" in the title somehow seems to trivialize the content for me.  If success is really only 7 (worse, '7 steps') then has the author understood the subject? (I am not suggesting that you don't, simply that the title might suggest that you don't).

"Steps" is jaded and likewise understates what you have written. How about "Paths" or "Pathways", "Roads" or "Routes" they each contain the idea of 'substance' in a way that 'steps' does not.

"Pathways to Success"
"Achieving Great Outcomes"
"Getting There"

All of the above can be used with a longer sub title if necessary.  But please don't use 'Secret' - you have just put them in a book that will sell thousands; how can it possibly be secret?
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
I like the second title by far, as it just seems to have more rhythm when you say the title outloud, and it is succint and to the point. If I was looking for a book on this subject, and the cover and title both grabbed me (the cover is actually just as important than the title itself) then I would definately at least pick this book up for a look.

June   
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Nadine L

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 09:28:29 PM »
Zoe,

I don't care for the word "How" in any of the examples. On the other hand, I bet (really don't know) that "How" would help it in searches (How to...). So, the question is whether to comment or not since I just talked myself out of my opinion.

My first choice is B.

Have you considered putting up a poll? I don't know how to do them, but it can't be that hard, right?

I agree with June about the title and the cover art...plus the blurb.

Nadine
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:33:38 PM by Nadine L »

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:32:02 PM »
Seven Secrets to Success
Acheive your goals today

orchid
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Patron

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:00:27 AM »
Zoe;

I agree with Fordy in the use of 7; however I also have an issue with the secrets to success. I know this compromises your entire title but this is my thoughts: If I were perusing a book shelf of self help books and although don't get me wrong their are many titled in this way; I would shy away from the typical colloquial for lack of batter words "secrets to get rich". The title choices you offered, in my humble opinion gave way to a sound of this is the ultimate answer in this book; now although yes that sells, sometimes it also is a direct negative toward sales. In our modern times with too many get rich quick themes I think it is necessary to be careful about wording so that we don't add too many of these fantastic and foolish concepts. I would like to know more of your book so that I could intelligently offer my opinion in a well chosen title. I hope this doesn't come across negatively or tell you in some way your book is a get rich quick scheme; I only used this as an example.  :)

Sincerely;

Patron

Zoe

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 07:00:09 AM »
Thanks everyone who took the time to reply. Now I have to analyze your replies, suggestions and  constructive critics.

I appreciate honest feedback from fellow writers, however 7 and How are definatly going to be in the title, people need solutions and I am offering them in measurable steps. I am not promising get rich quick schemes, but proven keys that if followed can help one achieve their goals in life. Career, Relationships, Physical, Spiritual, Personal and yes Financial. Dont we all want financial freedom?
Search Amazon books and you will be surprised at the kind of how-to books that are there! I just know mine will be a seller ;) Watch this space. Now back to the drawing board to work on my goals for today.

Just a thought, who  set some goals this January or at some point in your lives? Hows it going?

P/S So far B sounds like the choice.
Cheers and happy writing,

Zoe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:33:37 PM by Zoe »

SuzieHarris

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Hi Zoe,

I'm a firm believer in goal setting. This year my resolution was to write one non-fiction book and finish my novel (a comedy romance). Instead, I already have three non-fiction books under contract and my novel is being entered into a competition later in the year...

As for titles, I like the 7 and how in the title. They are key words and 7 is a lucky number. Go with your instinct is my advice - it's usually right (if only we learned to trust it more!).

Suzie x

Zoe

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
Hi Suzie,

thanks for your reply, what an encouragement concerning your goals! Congratulations.
Its so true, our instincts are normally right.

After visiting your sites I noticed I had been there before, either through Nicks Blog or the WB, probably Nicks Blog, the Suzies notes looked very familiar and your beautiful picture, vibrant with energy ;)

I was taking the creative writing too.Though I must admit I only finished my 1st assignment so I dropped it and dived into writing which is going VERY well without any coarse.

Question, are your books published the traditional way or Self Publishing?

Zoe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:36:34 PM by Zoe »

SuzieHarris

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
Hi Zoe,

Stop with the compliments, you're making me blush hehe.

In answer to your questions, my books are all traditionally published.

I like the slef-help approach you have with your book, Currently, I'm working on a book about NLP & EFT with a UK media icon and we have a publisher interested in that (so fingers crossed!). Great things are possible with a little self belief.

Suzie x

erm.. Patron, how can you have an issue with '7' with an avatar like that!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:12:54 PM by Suzie »

Nadine L

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »
Wow Suzie! Congratulations to you on your success!

Nadine