Which name combo is better?

Gabriel and Marian (Mary)
2 (28.6%)
Gabriel and Madeline (Addie)
3 (42.9%)
Gabriel and Marian (Molly)
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Too preachy, or OK? (please vote)  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Jezzica85

Too preachy, or OK? (please vote)
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »
Hi everybody,
I've settled on a set of twins for a story (their maximum age in the course of the story will be 7), and I wanted their names to have some Biblical meaning to them, but I didn't want it to be so obvious that it would just about whack the reader in the head with a sledgehammer (excuse the image for the squeamish  :-[ ), whenever I mentioned their names together. Anyway, the options I've decided on are in the poll, and at the moment I'm leaning toward the third option, Gabriel and Marian/Molly (and the name in parentheses is a nickname). Just to get a feel for it, what does everyone else think? If you vote, please tell me why you picked which one you did, and if you think of anything that sounds better feel free to put it in. Any feedback would be great as usual!

Thanks,
Jezzica85
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:05:05 PM by Jezzica85 »
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
Re: Too preachy, or OK?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
I think a lot is going to depend on your audience.

Just because a reference is obvious to you, doesn't necessarilly mean it would have any resonance for a non-christian, or even many middle-of-the road christians. I'm an atheist who was brought up as a christian and I'm often surprised at how little biblical knowledge people have these days.

Conversely, if you're writting for a specifically christain audience you might find that you inadvertantly cause offense by using biblical names in a way they might consider inappropriate.

Without knowing more I can't really say.

Offline bob414bob

• Learn to spell, it helps!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:08:54 PM »
As Jeff said, not everyone will associate the name s with the bible. I love the name Gabriel and I'm not at all religious, I just love the way it sounds.

I voted for option 2 purely because I like those names better, sorry if that's not helpful.

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
Hi ,
I voted Gabriel & Mary, though I am a christian, I dont think the names are preachy. As BOb says Gabriel is a great sounding name.
On second thoughts maybe Gabriel & Mary is kinda Bibly/preachy ( does that term exist.. :-\
Now that I look at it more it does remind me of the Angel who appeared to Mary Jesus Mother to tell her of the Child she would bear....not sure if that Angel had a name
If you dont want it to have that tilt maybe Gabriel & Molly kind of dilutes it abit.

All the  best,
Zoe
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:39:27 AM by Zoe »

Offline Jezzica85

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies everybody, I think I'm getting a sense of what direction I should go in (the third option, like I originally thought), but I was wondering, since it appears to have a 3-way tie still, even if you don't reply, can you please vote very quickly if you look at this again? Don't worry too much about other feedback, I'd just like to get a sense of what sounds good. Oh, and just to clarify, I'd be referring to the little girl as Marian most of the time, and sometimes her family or friends would call her Molly (or Mary, if you like that option). I'm also not writing for a specifically Christian audience; the names are supposed to slightly reflect that based on some problems in her life, their mother had a bit of a revival in her faith (but I'm not focusing on that particularly). I've thought about it and I really don't like Madeline as much for a little girl; it seems a little old, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks again!
Jezzica85
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:14:37 PM by Jezzica85 »
I always thought a fictional character was just that--completely your imagination. Now, I know better. Think about this--your most treasured characters, whether you realize it or not, are everything you dream for yourself. That's the real beauty of writing.