Author Topic: Worth every penny  (Read 1106 times)

Risca

Worth every penny
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »
I am reccomending this book my mum bought me: 'How to be a writer. Secrets from the inside' by Stewart Ferris (a published writer, whos' done work in stage, film, television, radio and well...books...obviously...). It's a great book that mum got for only 5 and it's a tiny lttle pocket book. I read it one day and it's got some excellent ideas in it that I think would benefit loads of people.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know, and if anyone else has it please give it a good mention,
Risca xxx

Nadine L

Re: Worth every penny
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
Risca,

Thanks for the info. What was the most notable thing you learned from this book?

Nadine

Risca

Re: Worth every penny
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:14:33 PM »
To be honest it's not one thing on its own. There are so many tiny little helping bits that make you think oh yeah of course that's a great idea. Every point makes sense, and there's loads of variety so you can pick an choose which ones you like. This is one of the pages I really liked, but of course it's personal preference so some may not find this that interesting as others might:

'it has been said that the essence of every story is to put a hero in a tree, throw stones at him, then bring him down again. But when he comes down he's not the same person he was before you threwo those stones. By surviving the attack and learning valuable lessons about life and the toughness of the human condition your hero has changed. This change is called the character arc.
'Characters need to arc in your story. They begin in one state of mind, they face challenges and grow, andthey finish the story as better or wiser people. This is important because the reader has been rooting for them and will gain a sense of satisfaction in seeing them reach a degree of maturity.
...if they [character] fail in their quest they'll either be affected in a depressive way or will decide that this failure has brought them some kind of symbolic success on another level'

Although this is not a tip on writing like most of the book is, it puts things you already knew right in front of you, to remind you that they are important (though obviously the character arc is not with all books). I think that because this has been written bvy a successful author you know the tips and hints will surely work (they did for me). The book covers preparation, practicalities, technicalities and publishing, so it's a wide range with loads of interesting bits.

Risca xxx