Author Topic: Want to have a go at writing the longest poem in the English language?  (Read 47160 times)

Offline Allie

• View Profile
Re: Want to have a go at writing the longest poem in the English language?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »
Don't worry, Leigh, Fordy and I are going to do the main collations and you can do the back-up. We'll be fine. I'm hoping it will be much easier than it sounds, once we get into the swing of it. No one has got back to me about the minimum or maximum lines yet, so maybe you'd all take a look at the post above and see the different things I was asking. But I think a minimum of two lines and no max unless someone feels like putting in more than 20. I know we don't want it to get top-heavy in any one part, but against the whole long poem it probably won't weigh, and obviously the aim is the longest poem, so if someone feels that adventurous, well, bring it on. But please disagree with me anyone who wants to. :)

Leigh

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2007, 03:34:22 PM »
I like that :  Minimum:   2  lines.

Maximum:  20 lines.

Ideal:        between 2 and 10 lines.

Like such? :)

Leigh x

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »
Well, do you think we should say 10 lines max then, if it's the ideal, Leigh? :)

Offline fordy

• View Profile
    • fordys web of words
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
I rather prefer not having an upper limit.  If the goal is to write the longest poem, why would we constrain people from contributing?  Sure, someone could hog the thing a bit but, if the words are flowing, why not?

Perhaps another point to consider is whether the poem should be moderated.  I rather think that it should (we don't want the poem ruined by outrageous content).  If we do moderate, then that moderation could extend to blatant abuses of there being no upper line restriction.
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
Say again, Fordy. The second part, I mean. I think I agree in principle with you about having no max since, as you point out, length is the object of the exercise. :)

Offline fordy

• View Profile
    • fordys web of words
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 07:48:18 PM »
Say again, Fordy. The second part, I mean. ...

Well, either this poem is going to be "by invitation only" (which will be difficult to enforce on a general forum) or it is going to be open to anyone to 'add their bit'.  If it's open to anyone, how do we stop someone posting abusive, vulgar or otherwise objectionable material?  That's why I am suggesting that the poem needs to be "moderated" in the same sort of way that this forum is moderated.

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 07:55:46 PM »
Sorry, Fordy. Thanks for explaining. I thought you meant the moderating would abuse it. It's that hour of the night, I'm afraid. :)

Offline Amie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • threegeese
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:38 AM »
Ooops, I missed that note at the bottom of the poem saying that you should put comments here - perhaps you could put that instruction in bold or move it to the top, so that thickos like me won't miss it next time?  :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2007, 05:02:18 AM »
No, it was entirely my fault, Sat. You're right, it should be in bold. There's so much going on here on site that it's a bit much to expect every little bit to be read. Going over to change it in a little while. :)

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »
The Longest Poem now has its own thread in the Review My Poetry section. Please go over and contribute as often as you can. We are going to keep this thread open for any comments about the poem, the progress being made, the effort it takes to drag yourself there, any particular parts you like, etc. etc.

Please tell anyone in the Circle who has the slightest interest in contributing. In this case it really is 'the more the merrier.' :)

Offline caliban1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
It is a great project and I will try to jump in soon.  It was lots of fun to read your thoughts as you were gettting the whole thing together. I am having sort of an unmotivated night but things will look better by morning.

Caliban
It is all a metaphor.

Offline Amie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • threegeese
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2007, 01:43:04 PM »
Okay...  I would really love to contribute to this longest poem, but I've got a couple of problems:  1) I don't think I've ever written about what's happening in my daily life...  it's just not a natural topic for me.... and 2) I don't write that quickly, so by the time I might find some lines that would fit in with whatever the previous poster had said, probably half a dozen others might have posted, meaning I'd have something different to link in to anyway.

Any advice for overcoming these obstacles?  sorry, I do really want to contribute :(
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Allie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »
Of course, Sat, plenty of advice.

First of all, we all really write about our daily lives or the world around us, even if it's not immediately obvious. After all, our poetry grows from our experience of the world, so pretty much any of it would qualify.

Then, you only have to pick out a word from the above contribution and write the poem around what this word means to you, not to the previous person. This is to be a journal of many lives with their different themes, not one.

Don't think too hard about it. Pick out some part of your day or some issue you're thinking about and write down your thoughts. In a way this is a lot freer than writing a whole poem, as it can be the poetic equivalent of jotting down notes on an envelope.

Anyway, I think you'll find that if you just jump in you'll be able to swim no bother. So see you at the pool very soon. :)

Offline fordy

• View Profile
    • fordys web of words
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »
Okay...  I would really love to contribute to this longest poem, but I've got a couple of problems:  1) I don't think I've ever written about what's happening in my daily life...  it's just not a natural topic for me.... and 2) I don't write that quickly, so by the time I might find some lines that would fit in with whatever the previous poster had said, probably half a dozen others might have posted, meaning I'd have something different to link in to anyway.

Any advice for overcoming these obstacles?  sorry, I do really want to contribute :(

Hi Sat.  Can't help you with the 'personal' bit, but as far as the time thing is concerned, I'm just writing first draft stuff.  I give myself fifteen minutes from getting the link to posting the words.  It means its rough (which isn't your style I know) but one thing I have noticed already is that I've posted a couple of things that I could work on and develop into more fully fledged pieces.  In that sense, this longest poem could be a seedbed for ideas about future poems, rather than a showcase for the poet's work.

Just a thought.

Offline fordy

• View Profile
    • fordys web of words
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
... something else, while I'm talking to my self.  This poem is supposed to be "a journal of the lives of its writers" but has anyone else noticed that the previous contributions have a way of arousing some thoughts in you, and that those thoughts somehow start to impinge on what you chose to do.  And, if so, is the poem changing the journal of your life - albeit very subtly? 

"The longest poem in the world - a life changing event."

On the other hand I'm odd  ???