Author Topic: Want to have a go at writing the longest poem in the English language?  (Read 53461 times)

Offline Allie

Anyone up for trying to write the longest poem in the English language? Together, as a group, I mean? I don't know if it would make the Guinness Book of Records, but it would be fun to do anyway, wouldn't it?

We would have to choose a theme, I suppose. Would we all write a line, or a verse/stanza/strophe at a time? What do you all think? Once we've settled on the rules we could choose a starting time.

The Guinness Book of Records 2007 has no mention of what the longest poem already is, but a little research suggests it might be Spencer's Fairie Queene. Of course, we don't have to know that before we start.

So come on, guys, will we give it a go? ;D

Offline Stupot

• ToxicSock.co.uk
Sounds like a good idea to me.
I think we should definately have a go, but like you say we need to have some rules and a theme otherwise it'll just get too silly and won't be taken seriously.

Offline Allie

Well, since I posted I've had an idea about the theme. We could write the poem like a journal, writing about the news of the day or any other topical issues in the world on the particular day we write. Then it would be a record of what's happening for the time we're writing it. It would be fairly easy to think of something to write about, and the tone could take account of the particular event or issue. And there would be a unity about it that would help draw it together. We could call it something like A Journal of Many Minds, so as to show that it reflects different views, some of which might be clashing. When there's a change in point of view we could label it with our name and location. I suppose then it would be an epic, since it would reflect a journey through modern life from the points of view of different cultures. How does that sound?

Offline SweetRosalyn

Just a thought, if you are going for the Guinness Book of Records, they're probably only interested in the longest *published* poem.  Because anyone could make a poem longer by just adding another line to the end, whereas writing a long poem that's good enough for publication is a lot more of a challenge. Not saying you shouldn't do this, just that the poem listed in the Guinness BoR is likely not to be the longest poem in the English language, just the longest published poem. 

It's a nice idea, though, I might try my hand at a strophe or whatever...
Please enter Poetry Challenge #142 by midnight GMT Tuesday 13th September
Theme: stark. Must be 20 lines or less and use at least two senses (taste, touch, smell, etc.) Thanks :3

Offline Allie

Yes, I think that's an excellent point, Rosalyn. But I think a lot of poems are self-published, anyway, so that's not too difficult. We could probably get sponsorship for that if the poem turns out to be any good.

Yes, please do join in, it would be lovely to have you.

Leigh

Hi Allie, I'd love to chime in, too, if I may... and was wondering- will there be any limit to how many stanzas (strophe, verse?) we submit, per day? Will we take turns, letting each poet 'have' a day, or just come as you are? :)

This sounds fun, and I do like the idea of incorporating current events into the poem. It will be a time-capsule, of sorts, perhaps! :D From many different tongues. A 'MWC anthologies', of sorts, except in this case Pound will have a thousand voices!

Leigh

Offline Allie

Well, this is going to be democratic, so it's up to everyone (or a fair number) to decide. But I'd be for just posting when the fancy takes us, although maybe one piece at a time, so there's not too long a contribution from anyone at any one go. Does that sound okay? We could all make sure we post something, even just a line or two, every day, so it didn't dry up. Even not having anything to say put in reasonably poetic form would be appropriate.

It'll be terrific to have you in on it, Leigh. Will all the poets have checked this out, I wonder, or could we put a notice up for them in the Poetry Review section?  :)

Maybe in a few days we could set up a poll to decide anything really important about this. What do you think?

nassj

Cool, I'll join.  ;D

Offline Allie

Brill! :)

Offline upturnedloobrush

• Ken Windsor
This sounds a really great idea - especially the thought of making it topical for the day. I am probably not going to get involved myself because I have to say "I hate poetry in all it's forms." ( Yes I know this makes me public enemy number one) I have no idea what a "stanza or strophe is. A stanza to me is something you take when you want to make a point - and a strophe - is that not those flashing llights you get in a disco? You would be better off without me on this one!!!!!

Offline Allie

Re: Want to have a go at writing the longest poem in the English language?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:45:56 AM »
You're kidding! But are you not doing the Poetry Challenges over in Poet's Corner?  :)

Lin

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »
I am all for keeping it simple ever other line will rhyme.   What do you say?

Lin x

Offline Allie

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »
I think that'd be too difficult to keep up, Lin. We'd run out of rhymes in no time. Maybe if every pair of lines rhymed? But I actually think we'll have a better chance of keeping it up without end rhyme. Or end rhyme whenever we can get it, but definitely lots of internal rhyme. I also think free verse would be easier, taking account of so many different poets working together. But what does everyone else think?  :)

Leigh

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 11:11:03 AM »
I agree... end-rhyming every other line, or any line at all, will place un-natural constraints on the writers. As Allie says, we would run out of rhymes eventually. I'm sure some writers may want to use other devices (assonance, alliteration, embedded rhyme, etc) or even tuck a little end-rhymed stanza within their daily entry, but it should not be the rule. :)

Leigh

Lin

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »
How about six lines of free verse with the two end lines making up eight in all of a rhyme

What about meter?

Lin x