Author Topic: Some wee birdies for Lin & the gang  (Read 3055 times)

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
Some wee birdies for Lin & the gang
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:11:35 PM »
Hi guys,
As everyone (well some), are going photo crazy (well one or two), I thought I´d post two of my favourite phots for the Bird lovers amongst you, especially Lin.

If you´re EVER bored,  or just chillin´ out with your cuppa, and would like to see some more phots, check out my phot gallery at http://www.patagomania.com/new_gallery1

Regards
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Offline Angeleyes

Re: Some wee birdies for Lin & the gang
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
What great photos. Just had a look at your gallery. Wow, I'm not green with envy...well, perhaps just a little bit. What a lifestyle! :D
May all your dreams come true.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
-Henry Ford.

Lin

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 02:55:09 PM »
OK go on test me - what are they???  One is a brid of prey and the other some kind of Ibis, but as I dont have a Bird Book from Patagonia you got me there!!!

Now Ill go look at the web site

Lin

Lin

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 03:00:49 PM »
Ive just bought my ticket, see you soon
Expect me Friday morning!!

LIN

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 03:51:30 PM »
Hey there,
Sorry, it wasn´t meant to be a test.

The birdie on the left is the Andean Condor (wingspan of 3.15m/10ft), and the big nose on the right is the Black-faced Ibis.

Hope you enjoy the others....
Tam
I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me - Oscar Wilde

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:53:32 PM »
Friday is good, and seeing as we´re almost buddies I won´t charge you the transfer fee
from the airport! :D

Lin

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
Oh silly me of course its a Condor - Dung!!!!   Not bad with the guess for the Ibis though.

I thought your web site was wonderful - Wow I thought I had led an interesting life - but you seem to have got it all sewn up there in Patagonia!!   The nearest I got to South America was Venezuala but only for one night to take water on board the ship!!!  I then went through the Panama Canal and up to Oregon.  Must have been 1975 I think.

Ok thanks for sharing all this with us it was great.

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
You´re very welcome, glad to see others enjoying my phots.

Just incase you weren´t aware we also have an abundance of Pink Flamingoes
in the region, but unfortunately they are so timid I need a longer lense to capture them :(

And...did you know that the reason they are pink is that the salt from their natural habitat (Chilean salt flats) reacts with the feathers to produce their beautful deep colour??? ;)

Incidentally Lin, have you heard of the ENVIU? They are based in the Netherlands but also carry out many projects here in Patagonia; they are a conservation group....

Tam

Lin

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »
No I dont know of them but Ive only been here 4 years and Im still learning how to live with Dutch culture and the language!!   Its been quite a traumatic 4 years mind you, Ive moved house twice and now with my own home Im continually decorating so with time I will learn more about these things.

I work on the Zwanenwater Nature Reserve near Den Helder.   Ill ask my colleague about ENVIU.

Thanks again.

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »
I definately hear you on the language and culture malarky ???

I´ve just found out where there office is here in Natales, so I´ll drop by and see what they´re all about.

I have this crazy idea of creating a self-sustainable village/education centre/conservation haven and all things green. I´m sure I can sweet talk someone into giving me a few hectares to play with ::)

...just an idea that hasn´t really formed as a seed yet, so we´ll see!

Will keep you posted.

Tam

Lin

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:59:49 AM »
If I can help let me know

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 06:41:51 AM »
Thanks, I definately will

Did you see my latest acceptance in the post `Another tick in the box´?

...seem to have my fingers into all sorts now. And this all came about after ordereing Nick´s course, so if your reading Nick....Thank you ;D

Tam

Lin

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »
I reckon this is one of the most "Happening" web sites there is at the moment - the popularity has grown in leaps and bounds since Christmas.   We havent been around very long and its just amazing how the whole concept has taken off

Regarding your project you could even set up something like this for conservation issues - chat to Karlos Moore our administrator if you are interested, Im sure he would point you in the right direction.   

Lin

Offline The Matelot

• PATAGOMÁNIA
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
That would be the main aim, a bit like CAT in West Wales, only a little more open, friendly and less commercial...if you know what I mean!

Thanks

Tam