Author Topic: best books ever  (Read 12681 times)

Telcontar

Re: best books ever
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 08:58:14 PM »
In no particular order:

1) Lord of the Rings

2) Harry Potter...I fully agree with meganinlondon here...

3) The 'Foundation Trilogy', Isaac Asimov

4) Dune, Frank Herbert.

5) Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. (I particularly like this because my surname gives me a starring role; I always fancied being a Demon  ;D)

6) Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. All five of them.

7) The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins.

8  A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking. ( I couldn't use a ')' after the number here, because it did this: 8) )

9) 'Roadcraft' or 'Motorcycle Roadcraft'. As Lin says, improve your driving...

10) Again with Lin, anything by Terry Pratchett, but start with 'The Colour of Magic'

Dave.

Offline Cathy C

• Procrastination is the thief of time.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 10:31:34 PM »
Ok, everyone, this is becomming too literary for me!! >:(

Let me bring you down to earth. ;D

1. anything by Steven King
2. Anything by Dean Koontz
3. Anything by Jeffery Deaver
4. Anything by Patricia Cornwell
5. Anything by James Patterson
6. Anything by Tami Hoag
7. Anything by J.D Robb
8. Anything by Andy McNabb
9. Anything by Val McDermid
10. Anything by Jonathon Kellerman and...
Making an 11th here... ::)
his wife... 11. Faye Kellerman

Maybe not literary, but a good bloody read. :P

CATHY C
Novel: Where There’s Smoke. Published by Fireborn publishing http://amzn.to/2tZKNCn

Short Story: A Killer Week Published by Bridge House http://amzn.to/2rhLVAX

Offline Lanista

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 04:49:49 AM »
The Light Bearer - Donna Gillespie - Without question, the finest novel about a gladiator ever written. One of the finest novels ever written, full-stop.

Gates of Fire -Stephen Pressfield-  Epic story of the Spartans at Thermopolae

Lion of Macedon - David Gemmell - Ancient Greek history with a fantasy twist. Marvellous stuff

The Mouse God - Susan Curran - A brilliant novel about the War of Troy as seen by the women on both sides.

The "Eagle" Series - Simon Scarrow - Boys own adventures with the Roman Legions; can't get enough of this series.

The Ten Thousand - Michael Curtis Ford - A marevellous retelling of Xenophon

The Sword of Shanara Trilogy - Guilty fantasy pleasure; an LOTR rip off, but far more accessible. And with no crap songs.

The Belgariad - Heartwarming 80's fantasy stuff. As with the Sword of Shanara stuff, its very dated now, but another guilty pleasure.

The Eagle in the Snow - Wallace Breem - Tragic tale of a dyed-in-the-wool Roman commander fighting against the enevitable barbarian onslaught

...and anything by else David Gemmel. Except the last two Rigante books. They were pants.

Offline Sara-Rose

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 06:16:56 PM »
"Down These Mean Street" by Piri Thomas

"Man Child In The Promise Land" by Claude Brown

"Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt

"Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck

"One Day In September" by Simon Reeves (an absolutely riveting non-fic)

"Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden (Just about anything by him makes for great reading
including "Killing Pablo")

"Robert The Bruce" by Ronald McNair Scott

"Good Poems", an anthology edited by Garrison Keillor

"Warrior" (A memoir) by Ariel Sharon

"Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry
Failure is an opportunity to start again more intelligently – Henry Ford

Offline Saphía

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 02:55:42 PM »
walkio,

just read a bit of that link, i see what you mean...i did think the plot was a bit too twisted but it is fiction after all and ment to be left to the imagination (the very screwed up imagination at that)  I did really enjoy angels and deamons because i thought it was rather clever. To be honest i have never believed any of Dan Browns books, i think they are works of fiction and should not be taken seriously...otherwise why would they be sold in the 'fiction' sections of librarys? I think the books are a bit of fun and pulse raisers but nothing to be followed seriously, thanks for your post and article!
Saphía x

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:49 PM »
No prob Saphia.

Don't get me wrong, Angels and Demons (and all of Dan Brown's books) are fantastic reads. I know that it's supposed to be fiction, though it gets to me when he tries to present so much as 'fact'. The Priory of Sion being a real organisation for one in the Da Vinci Code. When he's talking about science in angels and demons, he sounds as if he knows what he's talking about, which makes it so much worse for me when it's apparent that he doesn't.

To add to his mistakes: A proton is NOT the quantum opposite of an electron (a proton's opposite is an anti-proton and an electron's opposite is a positron); and the quantum opposite of an up quark is NOT a down quark! That really got to me. Don't know why.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Saphía

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 12:14:40 PM »
lol as someone who hasnt a clue about science i was probably as clueless as Dan Brown....i do think its wrong that what may be classed as 'fiction' or 'lies' is represented as fact in Browns books, it misleads people and even though he is aware that it is not truth he still chooses to pretend that his novels contain valuble and accurate fact, which is not true. Good read though  ::)
Saphía x

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 05:07:50 AM »
lol as someone who hasnt a clue about science i was probably as clueless as Dan Brown....i do think its wrong that what may be classed as 'fiction' or 'lies' is represented as fact in Browns books, it misleads people and even though he is aware that it is not truth he still chooses to pretend that his novels contain valuble and accurate fact, which is not true. Good read though  ::)
Saphía x

Precisely!

Offline Joanna

• Joanna Sayers
    • Joanna Sayers - Freelance Writer
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 04:05:19 PM »
Just want to say how much I've enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions - lots of ooohs and aahs and oh, never heard of that one! ;D

For what it's worth, my suggestions are as follows:

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson (very clever man and I wish this had been written when I was at school...)
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh (the film was great too...Jeremy Irons <sigh>)
Crime & Punishment - gritty Dostoyevsky
Sophie's World - an intro to philosophy in an unusual way - Jostein Gaarder
The Lovely Bones ... can't for the life of me remember the author, but just wonderful, very moving.

I hope I haven't duplicated anyone else's suggestions....hmm it's certainly got the old grey matter working...off to get anothe sherry to reminisce.....

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2006, 10:41:01 AM »
Joanna I'm going to agree with a Short History of Nearly Everything. It is fabulous. One of my favourite science books for the layman.

Telcontar

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »
Hi Folks,

Hmm, having done a quick scan through the posts in here, I notice that what I've heard described as 'The Greatest book ever written' has received only one mention. As most of the posts, I think, come from posters in what we term 'The West', what does this say about our supposed Christian religion? Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'having a go', this is just an observation by an atheist. And as such, it strikes me as strange...

Dave.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 06:22:04 AM »
There's alot of good stuff in the bible. But there's also an awful lot of crap. That's why it doesn't get in my top ten.

Offline Joanna

• Joanna Sayers
    • Joanna Sayers - Freelance Writer
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 02:58:59 PM »
hmmm, I've been thinking... I notice that whilst the Bible isn't mentioned in this list, the Koran isn't either or for that matter any other religious book.  I somehow think that today's forum scribbler is wary of offending or presuming that there is religous tolerance out there.  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it's an interesting point that's been raised. Many 'great' books do have a relgious undertone - good versus evil etc.  Children's books such as 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' from the Narnia Chronicles is a classic example.  Anyone else have any other examples?

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Apparently The Lord of the Rings has Christian connotations too. Lets face it - some of the stories in the bible and other religious books make fantastic plot lines. The Devil in Green is one book that takes Celtic Mythology and puts it in a modern setting.

Offline Saphía

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
yes Lord of the rings does have a christian connection, mainly on the whole 'good V evil' structure. Heaven verses hell. And if you do look at the book/film with that in mind and you are a christian (or know your stuff about that) then you can see the meanings behind it. A LOT of books through time have had religious meanings, mainly because a lot of people who do have faith wish to show their personal beliefs through the inner plot of their stories without having to openly say that the books are religious. In a sense its preaching to the unconverted in a modern way, which they unaware of.
I do read the bible and believe it. It is true a lot of the stories seem far fetched and do have rather gripping plots but as to weather or not you believe it depends on your own choice of belief in the power of God. I Dont think there is a problem with putting an underline christian message behind a book, it is not hurting anyone...and if it adds to the plot then why not?
Saphía x