Author Topic: Dear Diary or Talking to a Friend  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Maria

Dear Diary or Talking to a Friend
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
I was just trying to think about the style in which I should write my book, I was thinking that maybe because it is about things that have happened to me I should write it as though each chapter is as though I am writing in my diary.  The other consideration was maybe do it as though I am sat telling a friend my story.  Anyone got an opinion I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Maria
x
There is no such word as CANT

robert1704

Re: Dear Diary or Talking to a Friend
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
Hi Maria,

What I am going to say is of course my personal opinion. I don't like stories told to a friend or in the form of a diary.
A diary can make part of the story, and here I refer to A.S. Byatt's masterpiece "Possession".
Why not telling the story as it really happened, direct, not in the passive way.

this is my suggestion. I hope I was a little helpful

Robert
http://www.westernfreedom.com

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
Hi Maria, Like Robert, I think you would do well to stay away from a diary format. Try writing a bit of it in 1st person point of view and see how it sounds to you. 1st person will allow you to share your thoughts with readers as  the story progresses. Just a suggestion. Maybe some other members might have some good ideas also. See you in print :) Aelf

Jayel

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 08:13:26 PM »
I must agree with Robert and aelfwin. 

Robert gave you great advice with that reference to Possession - do take a look at it if you have time.  Byatt uses the journal with amazing skill.  And not many people can cross-genre the way Byatt does in Possession - it is a romantic quest, campus satire, detective story, myth, fairy tale - and really worth the read and might inspire you.

I do think using the first person will reap you more readers.