Author Topic: Music while you work?  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Music while you work?
« on: December 15, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
Do you like to have music playing while you're writing, or do you find it a distraction? Unfortunately I'd have to answer yes to both of those questions!

I like to play CDs or maybe my favourite internet radio station Radio Paradise (http://www.radioparadise.com) when I'm doing admin or replying to emails, but when I'm working on a book or article, I just find it too distracting.

So what's your point of view? Do you find music helps or hinders your creativity? And are there any particular types of music you find best for writing? I'd love to know!

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Re: Music while you work?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 09:34:28 AM »
I've tried listening to music a few times while at my desk but find that it is a distraction. I read somewhere that playing a cd of mood music works for some, but I've yet to try it. When the muse is with me and my fingers are dancing on the keys, music seems intrusive.  :)

Offline Glat

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 07:58:48 AM »
I don't mind a bit of background music or even the T.V. being on when I am typing etc. but when I am "creating" for want of a better word I need silence and zero distractions. Even though I am away in a world of my own, I can be distracted easily.

Offline Wigglyworm

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 03:49:45 AM »
Music, well that depends, not normally. 

I find it helps me if I want to give a definite mood to my writing.  You know a soppy romantic mood I listen to the Carpenters (am I showing age?), irritation anything with Rap, suicidal then anything by the Smiths (now that music makes me want to run a hot bath and sharpen the razor blades...)
If you can't be a sun, don't be a cloud.

Offline ghostwriter

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:58:45 AM »
Music distracts me but I've been able to work if it isn't too "peppy." Noise from the television almost shuts me down, because my mind begins to follow the plot of THEIR story! haha
I've found something that works pretty well though! I use one of those "sound conditioners" that will create a sound atmosphere of an ocean or a rainforest and it really helps my mind to open up and wander into a more imaginative place!     :-*                                                                                                 

BiancaMiller13

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »
I always have something on, especially when I am creating.  I ahve two children, dog and husband that love to deliberatly search my out when I am writing...LIKE RIGHT NOW...I listen to celtic sounds...Enya mostly, instrumental pieces with a lot of wind intruments,  and have been into a bit louder pieces such as Evanescence, Seether and Creed.  I save music and have used some of the same ones for over 10 years.  If I am looking to create a mood for a character, I use certain music to help me channel emotions.  I seem to be the oddball in the group but hey I wear the badge proudly!!

Offline creativegenius

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:53:55 PM »
Enigma is pretty cool for writing to, but most of the time I prefer to listen to the birds singing - *real* inspiration!

CG

Offline bestwriting

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 04:12:23 PM »
Music helps me write. Sometime I listen to one music for an entire writing piece, that when I go back to it and hear the music, it put my right back into the story.

Offline goldanon

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
Nothing distracts me while I'm writing, ( or anytime I'm in my head for that matter - my family has long made fun of the "cloud" I'm always in) but I never really noticed if music "helped" me.  I like your idea, Bestwriting, about putting on a piece of music for a specific piece of writing, that then throws you back into the piece when you return to it. I should give it a try - I know music can make me travel back in time...

Offline chillies

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 06:03:57 PM »
I can never listen to music while I write, I find it much to distracting. It is very hard for me to get into the mood to write, so once I start I need total silence. The mearest rustle of a leaf falling from a tree is enough to distract me and then I can always find other things to do. That said, sometimes when I'm relaxing either watching telly or reading and I hear a particular piece of music, it can and has conjured up some wonderful ideas for back drops and settings to writing ideas. Saddly however, these daydreams are much better than the writing they become. It is a real shame that I cannot co-ordinate the music with the writing.

chillies

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 06:13:41 PM »
I agree Chillies, When I am writing, I need silence. Any noises can set me off on any number of scavenger hunts or other avoidance techniques. I do want to try certain types of mood music someday to see what that does. But not when I'm in creativities arms.  :D Aelf

Jayel

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 09:22:36 PM »
aelfwin and chillies, I am with you.  I cannot think when there is noise and when I am writing, even music I normally love becomes noise. 

Offline katieoliver

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 06:49:56 AM »
 i always have music on when i'm working. I find that it boosts my creativity.
However, the type of mysic i hear, in a specific moment, both depends and influences my work.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
I always have music on when I'm writing and feel distinctly lost without it. Having said that, I occasionally have to 'change' the music I'm listening to - if I'm writing something aggressive or violent then Classic FM usually doesn't help! I use music a lot to give me ideas, too - but I'm talking classical or jazz. Lyrics are distracting.