Author Topic: BBC Radio 4 writing competition - £50 in book tokens as prize  (Read 16149 times)

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Do you fancy winning £50 in book tokens?

Those of you who enjoy writing seriously short fiction may be interested in the following, just heard on the radio.  The BBC's Front Row programme are running a short-short competition.

A short story of exactly 100 words, no more, no less, incorporating the six following words...

bodies
experiments
bacon
organic
fire
paper

Contact details (and the vital chance to check I've got it all right) on the website at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/
and then follow the links to the competition.

I am unable to find a closing date, but have emailed and will add the details if sent.  Postal entries are acceptable so presumably it's more than just a few days away.

£50 in book tokens as the first and only prize, and the top three entries will be read out on air.

Best wishes,

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

Re: BBC Radio 4 writing competition - £50 in book tokens as prize
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Thanks Gyppo,

I wrote one and sent it off.

Just a bit of fun eh, but good practice

Lin

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • View Profile
    • My blog pages
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:50:55 PM »
Cor - 100 words - how hard is that!

C
www.ukfolkie.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/carolynsheppard
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yiTf1zjnxQc
www.thecompletetrainer.com

Lin

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 04:48:27 AM »
So I sent my story off to them and today I got a reply.   I would think its just a reply that says thanks for your interest etc etc.   We will be in touch again if you have won.

The problem is I can't download the reply.   After my e-mail address and the story I sent there is blue link which says REPLY.

So I click on that and the web page cant open it.

So I dont know if Ive won or not!!

Lin x
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:56:41 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline rewh2oman

• Life flows on within you and without you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:02:20 AM »
Here are the details:

World Book Day Competition 

Today is the tenth annual World Book Day, which sees £1 book tokens given to school pupils and an initiative to encourage people to buy two copies of books and donate one to a local hospital. We know from previous competitions that Front Row listeners are as keen on writing stories as reading them and so we’re setting you a challenge: write a short story of 100 words precisely—no more and no less—a story which must include the following six words, unwittingly chosen for us by Front Row interviewee David Lynch…

Bacon, Bodies, Experiments, Fire, Paper, Organic.

Use the form below to send us your entry, or send it by post to Front Row, BBC Broadcasting House, London W1A 1AA.

One winner scoops a prize of £50 in book tokens, and the best three entries will be read on air.

Closing date: Midnight on March 12 2007.

(Please state clearly if you wish to remain anonymous as your message may be read out on air or published electronically.)
The Love you take is equal to the Love you make.

Offline Harriet ~

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:39 AM »
Lin, exactly the same thing has happened to me.
Look at the top of your email, does it say this:

The sender of this message, [here, it gives your email address] could not be verified by Sender ID. Learn more about Sender ID.

That's what it said at the top of mine.

I've written back saying that I am genuine, and to make sure my entry gets put in the comp.
Maybe you should write to them too.
The email address I used was my main one, and I've never had a problem been verified by anyone else.
What does it all mean anyway?

Lin

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »
Hi Harriet,

I have replied to the message today and later on I got a message to say it had been read.   That's all I know.

Lin

Lin

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »
If anyone else has this problem maybe we should complain to the BBC.

If anyone out there knows something about this link that we dont please inform us what to do.

Lin x

Offline Harriet ~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 04:29:30 PM »
Lin, there's something funny going on here.
I've just recieved a reply to my email, but all that was in it, was the original email that I had sent to them.
Nothing else.
Just the words that I'd written, as if it's been thrown back at me.
So, that's two emails I've sent, and two I've recieved back ~ and I'm still none the wiser.
For some reason I feel that I've been blacklisted.

Did it mention anywhere in your email that you hadn't been verified?

Offline Harriet ~

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »
I've just had a thought.
I'm going to use another email address and see what happens.

Lin

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 03:56:28 AM »
Yes that happened to me too so I sent it to the e-mail address because I discovered I had somehow sent it back to myself!!   So, I sent it again to the programme address at Front Row and then I got a message to say it had been read!!

Ive sent this e-mail to them this morning

Dear Sirs,

I am a moderator on the web site www.mywriterscircle.com and a number of our members have sent in their 100 word story to you.   Unfortunately, we have had complaints that your web link isn’t working.   They keep having their work returned to them with the link REPLY.   They click on the link and cannot receive the reply.

As they have put in so much effort into sending you a story I feel this is not good enough and wondered if you could enlighten us on the problem

Kind regards

Lin Treadgold

My Writers Circle
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:08:32 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline intruder2k

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 06:27:14 AM »
Hello Guys

I also submitted a story to the website. It is all working fine and as it should be.

All that happens is that they email you a copy of your entry for reference purposes. The 'reply' link is simply for the moderators to contact YOU if you win the competition.

So in other words this is just an automated response confirming that our entries have been sent to the moderators successfully. Ignore the 'reply' link, it's not for us to use.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Cheers

Graham

Lin

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »
Thanks for your information much appreciated - they ought to make that clear to us, anyway this is the automated reply I got -  I was going to put my story on MWC but I thought about that and just maybe it wouldnt be accepted if it was published here first, so my advice is dont do it until after the competition is finalised - they maybe we can put up a board for all our stories and get the members to vote!!  A friend of mine won this competition a few months ago. Her story was read on the radio. Lin x

Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately because of the volume of emails we receive, we can't guarantee to read and reply to all of them.  Don't forget, you can find out more information and listen to the programme on our programme webpage via the Radio 4 website  - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/index.shtml

However, if you need a reply to a specific query, please visit the Radio 4 Contact Us page http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/help/contactr4.shtml

For more information about BBC programmes, services and the BBC itself visit the BBC Information website at http://www.bbc.co.uk/info

Front Row

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:10:15 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline intruder2k

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
Thanks Lin. You're right, it isn't very clear. It took me a little while to figure it out.  ;)

I think it would have been quite simple for them to include a few sentences at the beginning of the email along the lines of "Many thanks for your entry. It has been successfully entered into our competition and we will contact you again if you are a winner."

Cheers

Graham

Lin

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 05:57:04 AM »
Glad we sorted that one out eh?

phew!!

Lin x x