Author Topic: Is it normal to pay a large fee to get published?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
Re: Is it normal to pay a large fee to get published?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »
Ok, so is there a book list of info for getting to learn the industry? I know Nick has promoted a recent book about self-publishing. Is this the way to gain the knowledge. I'm not sure where to start. I would think word-of-mouth would be a valuable thing, too. But who to ask?

Not to worry about the length of your posts - they are awesome! And so helpful!

With the way the industry sounds like such a hassle, it's a wonder anyone gets published at all! :)
~paramour.

Nadine L

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:54 PM »
Without reservation, I would agree Nick knows his stuff. For that matter, there are a lot of people on MWC that are both helpful and knowledgeable.

Asking questions is a good way to start. You'll find even those of us who have been around the block verify information by asking questions.

This website is a pretty basic starting place. I don't agree 100% with everything, but still there is good information on here. One thing that is useful is this page with definitions of genre. http://agentquery.com/genre_descriptions.aspx  This isn't the only list of genre around, it just happens to be the one I like. Query letters (to agents) usually include the genre, so this is something to read.

I joined a lot of (free) newsletters. I followed the links in articles. When I found something that sounded unbiased, I read it. As I gained information, I became able to dismiss the junk "news". Eventually, I weeded out the newsletters that were not helpful.

Often times there is some little something on writer's websites. Crystal has some info on her site. (Mostly, my site is fan based rather than writer's info. My newsletter does have writer info sometimes.) When on a writer's site, look through the links. Almost always there is at least one piece of useful info there.

Go to the bookstore and look through the writer related books. Not everyone with a big name is on target with their book. For example, the indie world if FULL of marketing books that are a crock. Keep in mind, anyone can write a book and indie it, so you have to use some common sense. Both the Writers Marketplace and the Writer's Guide have "articles" in them. Those books out date rather quickly, so the library might be the best bet on looking through those until you really need to buy your own copy (if ever).

There are writers magazines and ezines. I rather look at books and magazines at the library or bookstore, then buy them (or subscribe) if I really find them to be a reference I would use. You can go broke if you aren't discriminating and buy the stuff with a longer shelf life. Know what I mean?

There are blogs that provide both information and a familiarity with the industry terminology. There are several agents who blog. They provide a glimpse at the industry from their perspective. A few NY editors are starting to blog too. A lot of authors blog.

The thing is, you have to find a balance. Don't let this consume you. It will come. It isn't like I started yesterday. And, it isn't like I know everything yet.

Most importantly, keep writing. Also, ignore the negative people. This will get to be really hard on one's spirit if you spend much time in the negative corners of the industry. Write your best book. I don't think it is a hassle if it brings your dreams to reality.

Nadine
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:55:05 PM by Nadine L »

crystalwizard

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »
My suggestion to get started is going to raise a lot of hackles and make a lot of people flame me.

I do not care.

My suggestion to anyone that wants to break into the industry is to give your stuff away.

Read that again

Give your stuff away.

Now I'll explain while you're still so upset you can't open your mouth to scream.

If you want people to take you seriously, you need publication credits. How do you get those? You get your stuff published by other people.

What's the best way to do that?

Find E-zines that can't pay but are popular. Submit to them. A lot of them are quality mags and the publication credit looks good on your resume.

Hook up with small press publishers. People that will probably not offer you more than 10 cents a copy for every copy sold of whatever book. They might sell a few hundred books if everything goes well. Find some that are putting out anthologies and submit to them.

You won't make much money, but you'll make a little and you'll have a lot more publication credit to your name.

The longer the list of books and magazines you are published in gets, the more everyone's going to take you seriously.

You can scream now, but keep this in mind:

Publishing yourself OR getting someone else to publish you is a job.  It's like any other job. You do not start at the top. You start at the bottom and you work your way up.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:37:47 PM by crystalwizard »

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 11:30:20 PM »
Nadine and Crystal - you guys are awesome! Thank you so much for your words of wisdom! You have both been very helpful! I'm sure i will have a zillion questions down the way, but for now I have a lot to go on and that's what I need to start this incredible journey!
~paramour.

Nadine L

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 01:11:24 AM »
It isn't just us, there are a lot of people on MWC who help each other. That is part of what being a writing community is. IMO.

Nadine  ;D

Patx

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 10:15:35 AM »
I think anyone from the UK who is reading this thread will feel that the agent situation is very different here. We don't seem to have that 'unethical' aspect to the business that contributors are suggesting exists in the US.

On the other hand, I would say our publishing industry is much more elitist and certainly the self-publishing approach is seen as a route of last resort.

I think you're right about 'giving your stuff away' Crystal. Certainly most short story writers or poets would be very happy to be published unpaid in the UK.

For myself, I wouldn't recommend submitting stuff for publication on the internet, but that's me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like to see a publisher who makes at least some cash committment to a project, so a printed anthology or magazine which is going to cost a publisher hard cash to print, in my mind at least, makes me think, the publisher will have sifted for quality in the writing.

Nadine L

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
Patx,

There are many similarities in the publishing business; I agree, it varies on some points with each country.

Unfortunately, the scamming in the US is true. The other side of that is, it causes us to look out for each other a bit more than usual.

Nadine