Poll

Would you like to have a book swap/buy second hand books on MWC?

I would like a book swap/buy board for all book genres
13 (72.2%)
I do not think a book swap is necessary
2 (11.1%)
I would like only to SELL my books on MWC
0 (0%)
I would only like to swap/SELL/BUY Grammar  and writing related books and not fiction
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 03, 2007, 08:35:26 AM

Author Topic: Your comments please - an interesting idea for members POLL  (Read 4518 times)

Offline jojohnson

Re: Your comments please - an interesting idea for members POLL
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »
To be honest, if I thought a book was going to a good home and was wanted, I wouldn't want any payment. I'd just be glad to free up some space for some new titles!

Offline Harriet ~

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »
I think that it's a good idea. I voted yes.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »
To be honest, if I thought a book was going to a good home and was wanted, I wouldn't want any payment. I'd just be glad to free up some space for some new titles!

Good point.  I've got some books I'd probably be willing to pass on to other writers, but I'd rather keep them than just dump them in a charity shop.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
I must admit to buying loads of books from the charity shop.  I read all sorts of odd things as well as find some real gems.  At 60p or whatever, you can afford to buy a stack of books, and then you can take them back when read (or discarded) and it all helps your local charity too.

Cheaper than posting books to eachother??!! 

Carrie

Offline sevenfearn

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
I think it is a good idea and, as others have said, it is likely we would have books that others on this site would find interesting and useful. I have boxes and boxes like has been mentioned.
William

Offline Lina

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
I'm the same as Carrie. I buy books from charity shops, read them when I'm ready, then take them back for the charity and someone else to benefit from again.  If there was a specific book that members wanted to get a hold of then it would be good for members to let each other know and decide between themselves if they wanted payment.
It's true that we could easily post on site that so-and-so did not pay for or send the book!

Now there's another thought, I smiled at the end comment!  - but we have to be careful I admit, but with all these good people around I think the motto should be
TRUST EVERYONE, BUT CHECK JUST IN CASE!! Lol

Lin x
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:57:23 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Lin

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 03:54:48 AM »
Actually I thought about this again and wouldnt it be nice to receive a box of goodies in the post.   For example in some cases if one of the members has a box they would like to send and swap with a box from another member - say ten books for ten books swapped, it could be fun receiving them in the post.   

So the whole idea is now beginning to take shape and I want to thank you all for your contributions, they are most interesting indeed, I will try to give you what you want.  Keep those votes coming and the comments.

Lin

crystalwizard

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:20:17 AM »
I now have a question:

Will books in this program be restricted to things like style guides, grammar guides and so on, or will other books be allowed in?

For example, let's say one of the members has 5 books of fiction and they'd like to trade them.

Or perhaps one of the members here has a book they've written and they'd like to trade a copy of it for something else... but that book isn't about grammar or style.

Will things like that be allowed?

Lin

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 05:16:18 AM »
Hi Crystal,
Nice to hear from you again. The whole idea is that we are hoping that everyone will vote for a varied genre.   So grammar books will be included.

Nick and I and the team dont wish MWC to take responsibility for the actual payment or the swapping.   Its very easy, if you offer a book and someone else wants it - they PM you,  and you  make the arrangement between yourselves on how to get it to them.

If you are in the USA then its better to swap with a USA person.   If you are in the UK then swap with a UK person for ease of postage.  If its a very rare book you have been dying to get hold of for some time, then maybe Paypal is the answer.  Its up to you if you want to swap or buy in a different currency.   We would lay down some guidelines for this beforehand.
You can do whatever you wish - as I keep suggesting MWC is there are a helping hand to find a book you may have been searching for, for some time or just simply fancy obtaining.

All the best to you

Lin x
PS You can always get rid of unwanted books by offering the following

A box of books with the following titles offered free to good home - please pay postage and packing with a cheque.  PM me!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:18:55 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »
Splendid idea!
~paramour.

Lin

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 02:12:05 AM »
Anyone else want to add to this poll before the week is out?

Lin

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 04:01:54 AM »
I for one think this is an excellent idea and one that I would most defiantely use. The only drawback would be the high cost of posting them out though, since I believe most members are in North America? Would be a great forum though for not only doing swaps etc, but also potentially for selling our own books? Now that has to be good ! I already have a paypal account as well, so it will be easy peasy.   

June     
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline Bru

• http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
I think it's a great idea.  Let's do it.  I voted.  :)
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'
http://www.brunazanelli.com