Author Topic: A very basic question  (Read 7145 times)

Offline thatollie

Re: A very basic question
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
Johno, you're posting intelligent and thoughtful ideas. I'm sure your piece will be just as good.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline johno

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Thank you,  very much thatollie, I can tell that I indeed have my work cut out for me.  This is more exciting than if ever was before.  Like a challenge that I can't resist, I must get busy to the task before me.

thanks
very nuch

johno
I dreamt I was a butterfly, and when I woke, I wasn't sure I wasn't dreaming then.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Johno,

Just bear in mind that the 'challenge' is against yourself- to find out what you can do -  rather than anyone else in the circle.  Generally speaking we're here to help each other, not to prove we're the best.  I'm sure most of us who have been writing for more than a few years have a pretty good idea of our own strengths and weaknesses.  And occasional vanities ;-)

If some of us lock horns occasionally or try to 'pee highter up the wall' like naughty schoolboys it's because we're all human and not Gods, even if our readers sometimes send us emails suggesting so ;-)

Join in, go with the flow, and be assured that some of us will learn as much from you as you do from us.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:04:35 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

crystalwizard

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »
I am truely flabbergasted ( I really hate that word), at the amount of interest and support that my post has generated.  I fear that my wordsmithing prowess will greatly fall short of what I think you all deserve to read.  In a few days we shall see though, I expect to learn a lot by the posts it will receive. 

Thank you all again

johno

If your wordsmithing in your stories matches that of your posts, it will be just fine. You're very well spoken.

>flabbergasted ( I really hate that word)

How about one of these then:
    agape, aghast, amazed, astonished, bamboozled, beat, bewildered, blown away, bowled over, breathless, buffaloed, confounded, confused, dismayed, dumb, ffloored, knocked, licked, nonplussed, overcome, overwhelmed, puzzled, shocked, speechless, staggered, startled, stuck, stumped, stunned, surprised, taken aback, thrown, thunderstruck

(dictionary.com is your friend)

Lynn10240

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 05:33:22 PM »
I fear that my wordsmithing prowess will greatly fall short of what I think you all deserve to read. (johno)

I'm with you on that sentiment. At least you know your target audience. I'm never sure who, if anyone, will read my ramble.

Writing about writers (and the writing process) is fun for me -- and easy. Writing to writers, though, is a whole different story.

Just relax and be yourself. Happy writing!

Offline thatollie

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »
Just relax, everything will be fine.

Nadine L

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 07:22:25 AM »
Johno,

Everything will be fine. Most of us have had (and expressed) the same awe at finding this place.

Welcome to the forum.

Nadine

N.Mott

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:44:25 AM »

Well if this is what you call 'basic' I'd hate to be around when you post something 'complicated'

- my holiday dates are ...... :D :D

Offline thatollie

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
Naomi, when he said "A basic question" he was asking what a byline is.

N.Mott

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »

It was a joke, <sigh> A very bad one, admittedly. I'll go lie down in a darkened room, now.

8)

Offline thatollie

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »
There's no reason to leave because of me. I just didn't get it.

N.Mott

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »
Ok, when I said bad I meant really, really, bad  :D,  but since it's you, I'll cancel the plane tickets.

Ok, I'll stop now,

:D

crystalwizard

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »
There's no reason to leave because of me. I just didn't get it.

She was being sarcastic.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »
I know that now, it's just that sarcasm doesn't show up well in text boxes.

N.Mott

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
I wasn't being sarcastic.  It was self-depreciating humour.

<sigh>

Geez, can't anyone be in a good mood around here without people slapping you down? 

ok, now in a grumpy mood, I'm off to the freezer to check up on those peas - I hear chuckling.

:D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:15:01 PM by NaomiM »