Author Topic: New york Literary Agency  (Read 3087 times)

Offline SheWritesRight

New york Literary Agency
« on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
Can anyone help me?

I recently sent the first 5 chapter of my novel to The New York Literary Agency.

They got in touch straight away and said that they thought my novel had good commercial value and also sent me a contract to sign for them to become my agent.

It just seemed too quick and too easy or have I just got lucky or am I such a great writer?

The contract looks straight forward and they're not asking for any money at all, just 10% of whatever I make and that I can fire them with only 90 days notice.

I came across their web site on the internet but they're not listed in the Writers' and Artists' Year Book.

Has anyone heard of them before?

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: New york Literary Agency
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 08:53:17 AM »
Based on what others have said, I'd advise great caution. The New York Literary Agency is part of a group of companies which also includes the Stylus Literary Agency, the Children's Literary Agency and the Christian Literary Agency. These companies appear to make their money from charging authors editing fees, critique fees, and so on. No-one has yet reported a single sale being made to a publisher on an author's behalf.

Here are a couple of URLs to check out:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?s=174dc9c6c0d236ec0a6a8961b9a4c010&t=13517&page=1&pp=25

http://www.writers.net/forum/read/10/127303/127297Vf

Hope this helps. I'm only sorry I can't be more encouraging about this agency.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »
Thanks Nick

I read all the postings with great interest.  Now I'm thoroughly depressed yet still incredibly optimistic (probably because I know my novel is great, or am I just too big headed for my own good?).

I will get my novel published.  Just watch this space.

Thanks for your help

Dale Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:48:46 PM »
Hi writelady,

Yeah, you're a little too big-headed for your own good, but it's a cute head so I wouldn't worry about it.  ;D

Your attitude is great, all kidding aside, but let this be a lesson to you--do your homework BEFORE you submit.

If you're looking for an agent, the last thing you want to do is start mailing your manuscript out at random. Search the web--build a database of likely candidates--then start whittling that list down to a select few (say 10) who you feel will be a good match for selling your work. Besides the obvious 'Are they legit?' you need to ask...Do they handle my genre? (absolutely necessary) Do they have authors whose work is similar in style to mine? (a big plus) How many books have they sold to publishers in the last year? (are they going to work hard for me?)

Once you have your top-10 list, make sure you know and follow their individual submission guidlines to the letter when you submit. If they ask for a query letter first...don't send them a query and a synopsis. If they ask for a query and a two-page synopsis...don't send them a query and a three page synopsis, etc.

The bottom line here is...present yourself as a professional in every respect, and your chances of getting an agent interested in you go up dramatically.

Dale
http://dwrhodes.squarespace.com/welcome/

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:04:37 AM »
Thanks for the cheeky reply Dale, but you're right I am big headed (and pretty cute) - ha ha.  I've already had my novel edited last year by Jacqui Bennet's Writers' Bureau and they tore it to pieces (as well as praising it a lot,  boy they were ruthlessly thorough) but they did make a lot of valid comments so I have practically done a complete rewrite. I'm still trembling about sending it to them again, but I will.

I love posting on this forum and getting lots of replies and opinions.  As a writer it makes me feel less alone and the feed back is so useful.

I'm also looking into setting up my own publishing company and publishing other people's work as well as my own.  It will be nothing on a grand scale, unless of course I could sign up a best-selling author but they don't come along too often.

But people like Stewart Ferris are writers and publishers too so it's not impossible.  I already have a name for my company and have been doing a lot of studying about the publishing business.  Apart from the money side of it, it seems to be mostly about marketing and getting the books known and out there.  These days POD takes away pressure of worrying about the length of print runs.

But I wonder if anyone else knows where I can get more information or perhaps knows a lot more than I do, which isn't hard at the moment but I'm learning all the time.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

SuzieHarris

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:20:18 AM »
Hi Writelady,

Your plans pretty much mirror my own! hehe.

I am studying with the Regent Academy, doing their Book Publishing course. I can highly recommend it!

http://www.regentacademy.com/courses.aspx?courseTypeID=4&courseID=34

Suzie

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 06:27:29 AM »
Thanks Suzie

I had a look at the website and have ordered a prospectus.

You're a star.

SuzieHarris

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:30:02 AM »
You're welcome.

They are not cheap, but the course is excellent. If, like me, you aim to start your own publishing empire, you can't do better than this course. It covers everything and my tutor is great.

Good luck with it, and I hope to see you at the graduation party hehe.

Suzie

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 06:43:14 AM »
Hi Suzie

Actually I didn't think the course was all that expensive considering what I'll be able to do with the knowledge I'll gain.

Thanks again.

Oh, I just had another thought.  So far everything I've read about the New York Literary Agency has said that they're useless.  But I'd have never heard about this couse if it wasn't for them so they are helping me to get published after all - in a roundabout way.

And I WILL see you at the graduation party.  Nothing can stop us now.

Offline Gltagaman

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »
Hi Writelady

I've been looking at the thread.

If you follow up the articles re TNK Agency on Absolute Write, you will be have a good laugh but see how other unfortunate writers have been swindled.

I went to the London Book Fair yesterday and talked to a number of suppliers of Self publishing packages, a number of Print on Demand suppliers and some printers. Once I've digested the huge carrier bag of data, I'd be happy to e-mail you a few notes that may be of use.

Jacqui Bennet writers Bureau savaged my first draft of my novel to the extent that I put it away fora year to let the wounds heal. In the cold light of hindsight, some of their suggestions were useful and have been incorporated into a new version; which itself is in the third, and I hope final , rewrite to freeze it for publishing.

If you are considering setting up a publishing company count me in. We can always organise a huge raffle among the 'great unpublished' to draw initial capital with the prize being publication of the winner's book.

Good luck

Geoff

Have Thinkpad will write

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 03:18:22 AM »
Thanks Gltagaman

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to be ruthlessly treated by JBWB.  I too put my manuscript away for a while but now it's back in action and after reading through their critique after my wounds have healed I have to admit that they were perfectly right in almost everything they said.  If anyone wants an incredibly honest critique of their work then JBWB is the place to go.  You'll certainly get your money's worth and their editing leaves more red pen than original text, but damn! are they thorough.

Getting back to your reply, yes I would be very interested in seeing some of the data you collected.  Thanks.

I wish you well with your book and yes I am deadly serious about starting a publishing business.  It's my ultimate goal (as well as being a best selling author whose novel was turned into a blockbuster movie which won numerous oscars).  I love to have ambition because it keeps me focused.  It was only a couple of years ago that my writing was just something I did in my spare time and now it's all I do and my life just couldn't be better (unless I became a best selling author whose novel was turned into a blockbuster movie which won numerous oscars).  I've finally found my niche in life and when I do get my publishing company up and running I'd be delighted to look at your work.

Just watch this space.