Author Topic: Collaborators Invited - Everyone Welcome!  (Read 21483 times)

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
Collaborators Invited - Everyone Welcome!
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »
Hi everybody. Recently while shooting the breeze with some other members, I came up with an idea which won’t leave me alone. My working title is "the Station".

Every writer has stories that they’ve started but not finished, for whatever reason: lack of time, lost interest, or maybe they simply got stuck with how to move the plot forward. The stories languish at the bottom of drawers or in forgotten Word files, their characters caught in a timeless limbo.

Now imagine all those characters, all in one place, a giant Grand Central Station, stuck there unable to move on until their writers pick up their pens once more. And the place will be HUGE. (imagine the millions of abandoned stories!)

They will come from all genres: there will be starship captains and spies, romantic heroines and pimply teenagers. Some of them will be sitting in the pub complaining about their lazy writers, some might be in the newsagent, thumbing enviously through bestsellers. Others will be sitting quietly on the platform, waiting for a train that never comes.

I think this idea has masses of potential, and here’s the challenge: write a story based round The Station. Let your imagination run wild! I’ve seen lots of talent on this site, and know there are some wonderful stories out there, just waiting to be written.

If we get enough stories, I think we could even consider submitting them for publishing as an anthology. There was a book a few years ago called “Tales from the Spaceport Bar” in this vein, which was really good and did well. More recently, James Patterson has edited a book called “Thriller” featuring stories from various writers on the same theme.

If we go a step further into fantasyland, I can see this as a TV serial, along the lines of Stargate. But then, I am dreaming  :)

I’m not making too many rules, but the stories have to be based somewhere in “the Station”, and the characters have to stay in character. (ie: a serial killer will always be a serial killer, but that’s not to say he might develop a conscience…) They all have to stay there until their writers pick up the story again, which means they might be coming and going a lot! Only when the book is finished can they leave and be at peace.

I have had a go already, and you can see my attempt here:   http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7358.msg66604#msg66604

If you have any queries, feel free to ask or PM me. I hope some of you will like the idea and give it a go, and maybe 2007 will be the year when some of us get published at last!  8)

best of luck

Jeanette

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:32:51 AM by Nick »
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
Re: COLLABORATORS INVITED - EVERYONE WELCOME!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 08:24:06 AM »
Hi Dave. Two of my favourite authors, Michael Connolly and Robert Crais are pals and have their characters appearing briefly in each other's books. It's a small joy to read! I guess they just take the key features of the character and work round it. Look forward to hearing from you
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

thatollie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
I want to get in on this, [shouts at backpack] "Dick, your going to the station"
"Why me?"
"Because, your the most interesting."
"Can't you send my love interest?"
"I don't know, I heard old Ned was quite a charmer."

crystalwizard

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »
I like this idea and I'd love to be part of it. I've got a fairly large assortment of characters.

I'd like to request you write up a good description of the station's layout and it's central characters such as the barman. I don't want to have my characters interacting incorrectly with your setting.

I'd also like to ask if we're allowed to snag characters from other people's shorts and refer to them in our own?

thatollie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:34:29 PM »
Any is free to use Dick Bollard.
Age 25, He's a scam artist that pretends to be a detective, from my novel "Dick the Private Eye"
Quote [I don't have it at hand so I'll just use the dialogue]
DB: Don't you see, she was testing me.
AJ: What do you mean?
DB: Arthur, my friend. Every woman tests every man they meet every day. Every man worth his shoes knows that.
AJ: You mean Salt.
DB: Anyone can be worth salt but shoes are the pinnacle of human development. It's why women like them so much. To see a need to protect ones feet, craft a working model and then convince everyone to wear them, Genius.
I also have no objections to you using the other character Arthur Jaded.

crystalwizard

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »
;) Now I have to convince a couple of my characters that THEY want to be part of this. So far I'm getting lots of 'go away, I'm busy' and no 'sure, count me in' responses.

thatollie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »
Don't worry Penny, If Dave decides that he wants you. I'll write you onto the next train. She makes a good point, seeing our characters interacting iin this station might persuade us to use them again.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:05:09 PM by thatollie »

crystalwizard

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »
*has visions of Penny's group sticking out their tongues at their author, tossing backpacks on their shoulders and thumbing for a ride to The Station*

N.Mott

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7358.msg66604#msg66604

Excellent Jeanette. You should seriously consider submitting this to a Flash Fiction competition.

- Naomi

thatollie

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »
I thought it was excellent too. An anthology of abandoned characters all meeting and having their own adventures, I'm going to put that in the books I'd like to see in print" thread.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 07:11:17 AM by thatollie »

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »
OK, number one: Crystal - anything goes. No proper rules. Never mind MY barman, make up your own :)  The idea is that there are all these poor people hanging around in this enormous place. Imagine it's New York, and they can go anywhere they want, but they can't leave the city. They can interact with anyone. Anyone at all. (So long as the authors of the characters you're purloining don't mind) That's the beauty of it. 

I know I'm a bit obsessed about this idea Sorry! :) If it doesn't pan out in terms of stories, at least it might have reminded us all of the characters pining ((for the fjords!!?) sorry, sad bit of monty python there), to be finished, and maybe even brought them back to life a bit in our minds and hearts.

ThatOllie, never mind the 2 books you'd like to see in print. Do it yourself or lets all do it ourselves! I meant what I said about having seen a pile of talent here, Look at what you guys have just done tonight between yourselves! You might think it's all banter and nonsense, but it's not. Your own characters talk to you, if they're anything like my lot. Persuade them to say, OK, let's go over to that weird place where we'll meet all the strange abandoned character people, and see what happens. ThatOllie, you said you'd like to see this book in print. well, why not have a go. Let's all have a go, and who knows what might happen.  :)

crystalwizard

The Station - Act 1
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:29:39 PM »
A dark, shadowy figure ensconced at a corner table scanned the activity swirling around the bar then shook its head.

"Losers," it muttered under its breath. "Look at them. Whining, griping, carrying on. Humph."

"You don't seem to be doing much better yer' self," a small ugly man sitting on a nearby chair said. He slid to the floor and waddled over to the figure's table. "In fact, you ain't even got a face."

"I do if I choose to," the figure informed him, turning the opening of its hood in his direction.

"Bah!" the man snorted, waving his hand in a gesture of dismissal. "Ya ain't got a face and ya ain't got no manners neither. How come your in here if ya got some where better to be?"

"Didn't say I had some where better to be," the figure replied. "But you don't hear me whining, do you?"

"So what's your story then?" The ugly man clambered onto one of the chairs, settled back and began kicking the legs. "How come you're here?"

The figure shrugged. "I'm not needed," it answered after a bit. "No one wants me, so I'm here. I'm one of the few that have a permanent room upstairs."

"Bah!" the ugly man laughed, then signaled for a waitress. "None of us is permanent. Your author..."

"Doesn't have any need for me," the figure finished for him. "He's moved on to other things."

"He could start writing..."

"He can't start doing something he never did," the figure interrupted.

The ugly man peered at the figure then picked up the drink which had materialized before him on the table.

"Ya ain't making no sense," he observed around a mouth-full of suds. "You're here, you gotta have an author."

"I do... did," the figure agreed.

The ugly man crossed his eyes and wrinkled his nose. "I still don't..."

"Look," the figure said, bending forward. "I'm a character, ok? That doesn't mean there was ever a story... or anything else. All my writer ever did was create me... us... lots of us. He never wrote anything."

"He might," the ugly man insisted. He was beginning to feel very sorry for the figure on the other side of the table.

"He won't," the figure insisted. "He never intended to."

"Then how come he created ya at all?" the ugly man asked. Maybe the figure was delusional... it happened. Maybe he could get logic to sink in some how.

"He used to play ... games," the figure explained. "Role playing games. He spent a lot of time creating us, lots of us, but most of us never got beyond the first stages of description. I'm one that at least got a body, such as it is. He only used a few of us before he quit playing. That's ok though," the figure finished, settling back against his chair. "He was terribly bad at the games, that's why he quit. I'd rather be sitting here, talking to you and enjoying myself, rather than being digested by some hideous monster."

"Watch who you're calling a monster," a deep voice boomed from the shadows.

"I wasn't referring to you," the figure said, glancing up at the darkness.

"Well just watch it," the voice cautioned again. "The GM made just as many of us 'wandering encounters' as her players did you guys."

"Humph!" the figure snorted, turning to face the ugly man. "Don't mind him, he doesn't even have a body. The GM never got that far before the game ended."

The ugly man lifted an eyebrow, then nodded and slid down off the seat. "Well nice meeting you," he said and picked his drink up off the table. "I've got a circus to catch. Just stopped in here ta catch one fer the road. Take it easy."

The figure inclined his head then watched as the ugly man wove through the crowd and made his way out the exit.

"You think he'll be back?" the voice boomed from the shadows over head.

"Eventually," the figure replied. "They always are. Feel like a game of chess?"

"Sure," the voice agreed. "I'm white this time."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:31:42 PM by crystalwizard »

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »
Crystal, this is great. What an excellent take on the idea: characters created for a game, with no story. The main guy sounds a bit like death, with a hood and no face, is that intentional? Anyway, excellent stuff.

Offline jeanette

• View Profile
    • jeanette's website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 03:57:06 AM »
Crystal has made the suggestion that we have a separate place just for these stories, so I have opened a new topic in 'games and challenges' under the title 'Station Shorts'.

thatollie

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 07:29:30 AM »
The elevator door opened with a ping, Dick entered and the clunky box descended. Next to him was a man wearing pantaloons and a puffed up shirt but reading a 60's newspaper. Noticing Dick odd look, the man turned, "Ain't you ever seen a heighwayman before?"
"Not one that was reading the Telegraph." He said.
"I heard a rumour that me author was writing a piece set in the 1960's. I'm trying to earn meself a bit part."
Dick crossed his legs over, hoping the reason wasn't obvious, "Oh, hey do you know why they put the only bathroom on the bottom floor."
"Don't complain kid, I was on the top floor when nature called."
Dick gave a sharp intake of breath to show his sympathy, "The name's Dick Bollard by the way."
"Ned Tappet, you're an alright kid."
"I'm a scam artist. Anyway, how do you expect to get a part dressed like that."
"Don't they have costume parties in the 20th century?" said Ned.
"Not fun ones." [anyone is free to continue from here, the match is starting soon]