Author Topic: Collaborators Invited - Everyone Welcome!  (Read 25726 times)

crystalwizard

Re: COLLABORATORS INVITED - EVERYONE WELCOME!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »
Crystal, this is great. What an excellent take on the idea: characters created for a game, with no story. The main guy sounds a bit like death, with a hood and no face, is that intentional? Anyway, excellent stuff.

heh, no he's just the sterotypical dark figure lurking in a corner which almost every inn, in every RPG has to have.

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »
nice one Ollie.  :) :)
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline thatollie

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »
Hey thanks jeanette. I hope to add more soon. You know there should be a character pool of some sort, detailed info on all the ones we've got and people can take them and use them alongside the half ideas. I don't know how to do that but this is a smart group.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 04:47:43 AM »
Hi thatollie. That's a cool idea, but feel free to make up as many characters as you want. remember this "station" is supposed to be enormous, filled with people, so we can have all sorts :)
\"Abandoned\" is available from www.lulu.com/content/2072117<br /><br />\"the Dragon\'s Promise is available from<br />www.lulu.com/content/8075592<br />visit my website at www.jeanettemccarthy.co.uk

Offline thatollie

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 05:36:18 AM »
I know the rules, there are none. Well there probably should be a rule against giving your own characters the best lines. A rule I'm glad isn't in place yet, Dick got the better lines.

crystalwizard

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
Hey thanks jeanette. I hope to add more soon. You know there should be a character pool of some sort, detailed info on all the ones we've got and people can take them and use them alongside the half ideas. I don't know how to do that but this is a smart group.

Yeah, that's what I wanted too. I want that because I don't want to use character A, have it respond in certain ways, and then have someone else use character A and have it behave differently.

I like the idea of sharing each other's characters. But if I use, say Penny, I need to know who Penny is, what she's like, what she would do... so I can have her act appropriately.

I like the idea of everyone using the same place, but I want to know that the place I'm visualizing is the same as everyone else. Without those basic descriptions, what it looks like, the central characters in it and so on, what I wind up writing and what someone else winds up writing will bear little, or no, resemblance to each other with the exception of all being collected under a central title.

That's why I didn't even mention anyone elses characters in my short, or even what the place looked like.

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »
Crystal, Ollie, you're both going down the road of having one bunch of characters that we all write about. My original idea was as Crystal says above, what I wind up writing and what someone else winds up writing will bear little, or no, resemblance to each other with the exception of all being collected under a central title.

That's fine by me, and what any reader would expect in an anthology by different authors. So don't get too hung up on the people you're writing about. Just take the idea of characters all stuck in one place until their writers get their act together, and run with that  :)

crystalwizard

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 09:32:47 AM »
Crystal, Ollie, you're both going down the road of having one bunch of characters that we all write about. My original idea was as Crystal says above, what I wind up writing and what someone else winds up writing will bear little, or no, resemblance to each other with the exception of all being collected under a central title.

That's fine by me, and what any reader would expect in an anthology by different authors. So don't get too hung up on the people you're writing about. Just take the idea of characters all stuck in one place until their writers get their act together, and run with that  :)

Jeanette, I'm looking for continuity. The original idea, as I understood it, was that we have a single central location, which you described in your original short. Everyone's characters hang out there and we all write stories about what's happening in it.

That sounded like a cool idea to me but without some basic descriptions and rules, we won't have that. All we'll have are a bunch of shorts. The station will look one way in your version, completely different in mine. That's not what I thought we were doing at all.

If someone borrows someone else's character, and they don't know what that character should act like, it'll behave one way. Then if someone else uses the same character, still not knowing what that character should be like, it'll be have completely different. The reader will definitely notice and won't like it. Not to mention the original author noticing and being unhappy.

I'm sorry but for this to really work, we're going to have to have some structure that everyone plays in. With out that, we will have a bunch of disjointed pieces which will only fit together if no one uses anyone else's ideas.

Offline Tiggywinkle

• Tiggywinkle's Diary
Re: Collaborators Invited - Everyone Welcome!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
Hey, mind if I watch the chess game?  Sorry.  Should introduce myself.  Im Jonathan and Im stuck in a caf while my author gets buried under a ton of research some stuff about Roman London that  Im supposed to by thinking about.  Not that I am thinking about it. What did those Romans ever do for us anyway?  Just pushed off back to Italy and left Britain to the dark ages.  Also, the coffee's terrible.   

crystalwizard

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 10:55:30 AM »
Hey, mind if I watch the chess game?  Sorry.  Should introduce myself.  Im Jonathan and Im stuck in a caf while my author gets buried under a ton of research some stuff about Roman London that  Im supposed to by thinking about.  Not that I am thinking about it. What did those Romans ever do for us anyway?  Just pushed off back to Italy and left Britain to the dark ages.  Also, the coffee's terrible.   

"Sure," the voice boomed. "Pull up a chair. Jonathan eh? Where you from kid? What's a Roman?"

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »
Hi Crystal.
I'm really sorry if I have sent you all off on a different track, but the original idea I had was exactly what you are saying: the station will look different in everyone's stories, like your own story about the role playing characters. That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. It's a bit similiar to my original story in some ways, completely different in others, but the basic premise is the same. The characters are stuck in the bar/restaurant/shop/whatever.

I do apologise if I gave the idea that I wanted us just to use each other's characters. As you say, we don't know enough about them, and might end up upsetting people, and I certainly don't want that. But if two or three people want to get together to work on it, go for it!

I figured people might see this as a sort of assignment: there's a place where all the abandoned characters from unfinished books have to wait until their writers start writing again. Write a story based round the place. Make up the characters.

Again, I'm sorry if I've been a bit dumb and not made it clear what I was thinking about.  ::) ;D

Offline thatollie

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
OK, Crystal and I will rule the substation. with a character pool and the only bathroom in the joint.

Offline jeanette

• jeanette's website
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
that's going to be a very busy loo  ;)

Offline thatollie

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »
Not even mentioning the elevator music, it's the author's choice. We should agree not to torture Ned with Madonna. It's his only weakness.

crystalwizard

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
Hi Crystal.
I'm really sorry if I have sent you all off on a different track, but the original idea I had was exactly what you are saying: the station will look different in everyone's stories, like your own story about the role playing characters. That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. It's a bit similiar to my original story in some ways, completely different in others, but the basic premise is the same. The characters are stuck in the bar/restaurant/shop/whatever.

Then all it is, is a collection of short stories, one that will confuse the reader.

I posted my short out to the Well on usenet, a private writing group with some exceptional authors. They liked it, but they were all some what confused and wanted more detail about what was happening and what the place was.

I have gotten basically the same responses in the post I made on writer's cafe to my short. You can read it, and the reviews it's gotten on writers, at this link:

http://www.writerscafe.org/stories.php?id=39609

While a collection of shorts will be interesting, I think that the readers will enjoy it more if there is more continuity through the entire thing than just 'abandoned characters in a bar some where'.

I do apologise if I gave the idea that I wanted us just to use each other's characters. As you say, we don't know enough about them, and might end up upsetting people, and I certainly don't want that. But if two or three people want to get together to work on it, go for it!

The idea I understood was for everyone to use the same setting, the station you created, and to have their characters doing things in it. The second idea I understood was that everyone could share each other's characters if they wanted. At least that's how I read the posts.

I liked that idea and thought it sounded like a fun project.

I figured people might see this as a sort of assignment: there's a place where all the abandoned characters from unfinished books have to wait until their writers start writing again. Write a story based round the place. Make up the characters.

Again, I'm sorry if I've been a bit dumb and not made it clear what I was thinking about.  ::) ;D

I'd rather go with what I thought you were suggesting. That has a lot more of a collaboration feel to it. This just sounds like a writing challenge.