Author Topic: Prom-A short script for theater class  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Sasha6

Prom-A short script for theater class
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »
                                                                            Prom

(Curtains open  revealing a boy with a black trash bag shirt. If possible music plays lightly in the background. He's dancing by himself. A girl that looks a little put-out, wearing a foil skirt, walks up to him. He keeps dancing but acknowledges her presence with a wave and slight nod.)
Boy: Hey. Awesome dance right?
Girl: (sarcastically) Yeah, killer.
Boy: Whats wrong with you?
Girl: Well, it's my senior year and the only time I'm every going to be able to go to prom and I don't have a date and the theme blows.
Boy: What? You don't like the thirties?
Girl: Well, I have to admit that I'd probably enjoy the thirties a lot better if the depression hadn't taken place during that time.
Boy: (Stops dancing) What's wrong with the depression?
Girl: Uh, the fact that it was trashy, depressing and our prom theme!
Boy: Oh, come on. You can't tell me you didn't have fun making you're dress.
Girl:  Dress? (Starts getting a little hysterical) What dress? They didn't have nice dresses during the depression! So I'm wearing trash at one of the most classy events I'll ever attend in my life!(Folds her arms and turns away from him.)
Boy: I think it looks co-.
Girl: (Holds up a hand) Don't you dare finish that sentence or you will never have the opportunity to dress in a trash bag again!
   Pause
Boy: Um, you want something to eat?
Girl: What do they have?
Boy: Well, it's kind of awesome. They have a line. (She looks at him threateningly. He swallows.)Um, they have bread and the punch is this green stuff that's suppose to be soup.
Girl: (Looks away from him again.) No thanks.
Boy: Look, it's not my fault that they chose this theme. Don't get angry at me.
Girl: (Quickly turn towards him unfolding her arms and making fists at her sides)  I have to be!
Boy: Why?
Girl: Because you're enjoying it!
Boy: Enjoying what?
Girl: The dance! The theme! My torment!
Boy: Believe me. I'm not enjoying you yelling at me.
Girl: No! But you're laughing at me. (He opens his mouth to say something but she cuts him off.) I know that deep inside you're laughing because of my misfortune! Because I'm so pathetic that I can't even get a date to the depression! (Sounds teary) Because I'm wearing a foil skirt!
Boy: Uh, I wasn't thinking any of that-
Girl: Of course you were! If I were you I would laugh at me too. I would think the same thing.
Boy: I think you look good in the foil skirt!
Girl: (Calming down a bit but still weepy) You're just saying that.
Boy: No really. You look good.
Girl: No I don't. My butt looks big. (She turns around for him to see.)
Boy: But it still looks good.
Girl: (Slaps him)
Boy: What was that for?
Girl: You were looking at me butt!
Boy: But you-
Girl: (Holds up a hand to stop him) I know. Thats all guys ever look at. They don't want to go out with me because I'm pretty. (Starting to cry again. Overboard. Lots of whining.) They just want my butt! (Falls unto the boy sobbing.)
Boy: (Doesn't know were to put his hands, Awkwardly starts to pat her back.) I don't just like you're butt.
Girl: (Sniffles. Whiny) You don't?
Boy: No. I think your..uh...eyes are pretty.
Girl: (Looks up at him. Not quiet as whiny.) You do?
Boy: Sure. (She looks up at him expectantly.) Uh, and your, uh, nose.
Girl: (Pulls away slightly) What about it?
Boy: It's..cute?
Girl: (Sniffles) You're so sweet! (Starts to cry again and buries her face into his “shirt” )
Boy: (Almost frantic) Why are you crying?
Girl: Because I'm happy.
Boy: Um, why are you crying.
Girl: (Cries harder. Sobs and pulls away from him) You just don't get it. Guys just don't understand a woman's feelings.
Boy: I guess not.
Girl: (Gives him a dirty look)
   (The music changes to a slow song. Her sobbing has subsided. They stand there Awkwardly.)
Boy: Um, would you like to dance?
Girl: (Blinks several times) Really?
Boy:  No. I just wanted to make you cry again. Of course really.
Girl: (Nods and smiles a little) Okay.
   (They awkwardly put their hand on each others shoulders and waist and start swaying side to side their arms stretched out so they're far apart. He looks at her but when she looks at him he looks away. Then the same happens but reverse. They do this for a little while clearing their throats her and there.)
Boy: So.
Girl: Yeah.
(Silence)
Boy: Uh, this Wednesday there's a Bible club meeting. Would you...(She looks at him weird.) Never mind.
(Silence)
Boy: (Looks over her shoulder.) Oh, look, the King and Queen.
Girl: (Looks around still dancing.) Where?
   (A couple dressed up in nice clothes with crowns on walk onto the stage, passes them and walks off. They're smiling and look like they're having a good time. The girl keeps her eyes on them until the last and even keeps staring where they had left, her mouth open. The boy's watching her a little nervously. Suddenly she breaks down, bawls, and throws herself into his arms burring her face into his “shirt” again. He rolls his eyes and starts patting her back again, looking up at the ceiling. )
                                                                           The End 

My significant other is myself, which is what happens when you suffer from self-obsession and multiple personalities.

Patron

Re: Prom-A short script for theater class
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »
Hi  Sasha6;

I just had a chance to read this. I like it. It certainly reminds me of a confusing time long ago, the whole boys and girls and why girls are never happy thing. :D

Sincerely,

Patron

Gildedcage

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 12:11:17 PM »
This was so wonderful... very humorous and I liked how you captured the awkwardness between boys and girls at that age! :)

Great job on this.

Gilded cage

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »
Im not a script writer but would like to try (there I go procrastination again!LOL) Does one have to be strict with the grammar, spelling and so on before submitting?   I noticed you wrote "If possible the music plays lightly in the background."   Would that be better placed with a statement like The music plays lightly in the background.   If possible sounds like you are afraid of making a statement.

I cant comment really on this but the story sounded really good. Very humourous.   Its seems to be much easier to do dialogue than description as in a novel.

Ill have to take my chance and have a go some time. 

Lin

Patron

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
Lin you should give it a shot. It can be easier than description in a novel, but at the same time the dialouge has to be more direct. Conversations need to get to the point very quickly depending on whether it's a program or movie or an actual play.

It actually is quite fun; Formatting it cn be difficult without the right software.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Patron :)

Offline Sasha6

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »
Thanks! This was for threater class so I put in the "if possible" becuase it was more asking my teacher if that would be possible. Also, this scene can be done without music. A lot of scripts have alternatives in certain area's like the play "Graceland". There is a whole alternate ending. Other then that, directions are statments. I probably worded it wrong but thats what I was hinting at. As for grammer and spelling, it is important like any other writing project. BUT you have to make dialouge believable meaning if the character doesn't have good grammer then write it without good grammer. Do you understand? I don't think I'm explaining it well.

Anyways, thank you all again for commenting! :D
My significant other is myself, which is what happens when you suffer from self-obsession and multiple personalities.

Patron

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:18:49 PM »
Sasha

I'm a big theatre buff. It grew on me in high school. I had some unbelievable luck actually as I took on bigger and bigger roles. It went so fast , by the way, I suddenly found myself as an extra in a movie named "Rock and Roll Road Trip". Ok if anybody wants to know who Patron is.....forget it; I'm not gonna tell. lol.
Anyway, this movie was a flop in the states but from what I was told was pretty big in England. Theirs a point to this...sorry. So I next got offered this second rate role in another movie this (unamed company) was producing and as I was only 18 at the time; not to mention, young, dumn and stupid, oh and the small legal fact that I had already committed myself to the U.S. Military, a year before; I mistakingly said no and the producer moved on to bigger and better things; but.Their is a side note.
This producer's name was Deno Di'laurentis. Spelling might be wrong here. He went on to make big bucks and I went on to....serve my country. I'm proud of my country but I still kick myself in the a...for not following through with a dream.
I want to tell you to do everything you can to make this the best possible production you could possibly make; because at your age, my dear, "the sky," really, "is the limit". Make this the story of your life....work it like your life depends on it and I know you will succeed.

Sorry for typos.

Sincerely,

Patron
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:06:41 AM by Patron »

Offline elena

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 02:58:40 AM »
Dino De Laurentis... oh... oh... Don't think about it...
If it can help... I'd love to stay on a movie set in Hollywood everyday, even serving coffees, I'd love to observe this world, silently. Instead I live in Italy and I do revisions to cars with computers...

Sorry for the "out of topic"...

Patron

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 03:10:30 AM »
elena

After I did some spelling correction I was looking at your post. Sorry, long day for me. But I was curious about the whole Italy...revisions to cars on computer thing. Got my interest. What's up with that?

Oh yes thank you for the correction;  Dino De Laurentis. Fourteen hours in front of the computer is taking it's toll.

Patron
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:12:15 AM by Patron »

Offline elena

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 03:34:43 AM »
I know... especially for a woman... When I started (in 1999) to work there, my boss asked to me to be his secretary. At the same time I had to learn how to make revision to cars, ‘cause the son of my boss, didn’t have yet the qualification to do that. 
So… even if he did revisions to cars, I had to know how to do them, just in case of a “control”. But the responsibility of that revisions was mine! I am sorry for  my English... I don’t know if you understand what I mean… His son never obtained that qualification and he's interested in money, so he allows to travel some awful cars, especially if they are his friends' cars...  if one of these cars crashes, I could have problems with law! So: I decided to do revisions to cars on myself… in this way, at least I did know the conditions of the cars I allowed to travel! Now I am secretary, I do revisions to cars, and I do a lot of others things for my boss, without being “awarded” for that…
Revisions to cars? In short, I have to check breaks, pneumatics, lights, exhausts, the homologations of all the parts. At the end I have to decide if a car is allowed to go around. It's a huge responsibility and I have it, even if I didn't want it... at all! I don't care a thing about cars... I'm a woman! But this job is "secure" and "paid": there aren't great opportunity for a job in Italy, especially with my Scientific High School Certificate. It isn't a "specific" degree.

Maybe it's better to change topic... this is Sasha's topic!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:43:46 AM by elena »

Patron

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 03:46:00 AM »
Good point;

Sorry Sasha; this is your post.

Sincerely;

Patron